Why become a member? ×

Aguilar DB112, farting on B string, loose dust cap

Hi all, I was playing along at home on a DB112 and noticed that at louder volumes the speaker was clipping really badly and obviously when I was playing on the B string or really digging in on on E. Head is rated appropriately so not an issue there.

Having removed the grille I noticed the dust cap seems to have come undone at least half way of the way around. Could this be the culprit? Doesn't seem to be any obvious damage to the come or elsewhere. Would be keen to know if re gluing this (or something else!) could resolve it before I take the plunge on a replacement driver. Any help much appreciated

Edited by Welshbassist

I'd try re-gluing the dust cap. You need a flexible glue and one that doesn't contain powerful solvents (driver manufacturers use latex-based glues on cones). You've nothing to lose by trying. It won't hurt the driver any more than it might be already. Given that the noise occurs when you are playing low and hard, which demands more extreme cone movements, it might help.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all the help with this. After a bit more reading on various forums I decided to replace with a new cap. I figured it would take to the glue slightly better as the edge on the old one was slightly frayed. Bought some sureloc cyanoacrylate adhesive from an audio equipment site. Bit more expensive but worth it for the peace of mind I was definitely getting the right stuff IMO.

Once I removed the old one it was immediately apparent that it was the dust cap causing the issue. Really pleased with how it turned out, sounds and looks great.

IMG-20210305-WA0002.thumb.jpeg.e4298baf05cf602784fb68c3bbae55ac.jpegPXL_20210306_144644754.thumb.jpg.926d66e5bcc0749dfea57112f0242489.jpgPXL_20210306_144701779.thumb.jpg.fe8e535df6cae3f7d36d2bf38697af29.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...