Why become a member? ×

NBD (the other day) and getting back into playing bass again

Greggo

First post for a while!

When I play in a band I play bass, but as I've not been in a band for 8 year's I've predominantly just been playing guitar and occasional home recording, only picking up a bass to do the bass part's then putting it back in the rack.

The band is reforming once we can after lockdown, so I wanted to get my bass chops back up again. The 80s tastic pointy yamaha I use as my main bass doesn't really inspire me to play it anymore so I advertised it on FB and got offered a lovely Squier CV 70s 5 string Jazz bass which I picked up last week.

Setup on it was horrendous, but after a full setup including nut dressing, truss rod and saddle adjustment it plays very well indeed and has really got me back into playing and practicing! I will putting more time into bass now as well as six string now as it's made me appreciate the bass again.

I've done my first mod to it, installing a push pull switch to change from series to parallel. I once hard wired a jazz bass copy that I also own like that and it's a nice sound so wanted that option. 

Overall very happy with it. Anyone else got one of these? 

Any recommendations of other worthwhile mods? Pickups sound ok to me but might still look to change at some point.

Screenshot_20210301-214641.png

Edited by Greggo
Random full stop on title
  • Like 2

No but I’ve had the four string version and it was awesome 

When I play in a band I play bass, but as I've not been in a band for 8 year's I've predominantly just been playing guitar

I’m glad you’re feeling better now after that nasty six string illness 

Edited by Geek99
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Geek99 said:

No but I’ve had the four string version and it was awesome 

When I play in a band I play bass, but as I've not been in a band for 8 year's I've predominantly just been playing guitar

I’m glad you’re feeling better now after that nasty six string illness 

Haha, thank you. I'm not going to lie I still love the six string but something about playing bass again that's very deeply satisfying (must be the low end)

30 minutes ago, Greggo said:

got offered a lovely Squier CV 70s 5 string Jazz bass which I picked up last week.

Squier need to get their naming sorted - fender only offered one 5 string in the 70s and it wasn't like that!

30 minutes ago, Greggo said:

I've done my first mod to it, installing a push pull switch to change from series to parallel. I once hard wired a jazz bass copy that I also own like that and it's a nice sound so wanted that option. 

I liked having that option (the S1 switch) on the jazz when you just needed a bit more.