Why become a member? ×

March Composition Challenge

lurksalot

I left it a bit late to start this month so it's rough as bejaysus but I'll live with it.

The pic made me think of the classic TV show Kick Start and, from there, the other great theme tunes of youth TV programming from my childhood. I've gone for a TV theme tune of sorts. This is the show where things go wrong, though, so any chord progressions and melody must be wrong too. Curse my childless loins for not having actual children to exploit for vocals, so the tightest pants available were donned. I do apologise.

As ever, Pearl Export drums into the cheapest mics and pre-amp Behringer sell. Hamer Chaparral bass and Bacchus Empire guitar into an Eleven. Vocals too, actually. Synthesis via Reason.

Edited by Doctor J
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Doctor J said:

I left it a bit late to start this month so it's rough as bejaysus but I'll live with it.

The pic made me think of the classic TV show Kick Start and, from there, the other great theme tunes of youth TV programming from my childhood. I've gone for a TV theme tune of sorts. This is the show where things go wrong, though, so any chord progressions and melody must be wrong too. Curse my childless loins for not having actual children to exploit for vocals, so the tightest pants available were donned. I do apologise.

As ever, Pearl Export drums into the cheapest mics and pre-amp Behringer sell. Hamer Chaparral bass and Bacchus Empire guitar into an Eleven. Vocals too, actually. Synthesis via Reason.

I think you nailed the TV theme idea.  I had to Google the Kickstart theme though!

• Like 1

I havn't had time for one of these for a while now, but thought what the hell, I'll see what I can bash together,  and ended up quite liking it. So here it is, all slightly less then one and a half minutes of it.

For the voting page: I just looked at the pic and played what I saw, chanelling the Datsuns (the band, I mean) to get there: Adrenalin, speed, everything blasting along full throttle until... mechanical failure.

Nothing very technical about this one, bolted together and messed about with a nice Groove Monkee beat, then thrashed around on my Ibanez RGIB6 baritone until I had a riff I like, double tracked that with the (I dont' deserve it) PRS Custom 24, pounded out the bass on my newly acquired Sandberg Forty Eight and then a bit of lead with the PRS again. Amplitube for all the guitar noises, very quick mix with some Maserati plugins thrown in to try and un-muddy it a bit.

Edited by adamg67
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

This is in early by my standards. I started out under the influence of the Sneaky Little Devil type slow grooves, toyed briefly with cod-reggae and ended up here. Not sure where here is, there aren't any signs ;) and I arrived here very quickly!

This tune is meant to make you feel uneasy. It's often in 15/8, and often not.
Mustang bass into valve amp with a bit of drive. Godin guitar into same amp with CryBaby. Drums with parallel compression and distortion, a new experiment. All the glitches are as-played, no fancy slicing and dicing going on in the digital domain. No siree!

• Like 5

And another one. Struggled a bit this month to get a handle on it so it's a one instrument and vox combo with a tiny dash of effects tomfoolery. 

Blurb for voting thread/

A simple tune with some hackneyed blues lyrics about purchasing a quad bike from a Mr. Osbourne of Aston, Birmingham.

Recorded using NCH Wavepad and Audacity, a four string cigar box guitar in G, a Danelectro Pastrami Overdrive and a Roland cube utilising a little bit of echo and reverb.

Lyrics here.

Spoiler

Woke up this morning

Can't lay here all day in bed

Gotta buy me an ATV

From some guy called Osbourne instead

Calls himself the Prince of Darkness

Wants to meet at the crossroads

Not the motel

He's selling it on

'Cus he'd had a crash

Said it rolled over on top of him