Why become a member? ×

Another vinyl / cd / download discussion . Well, it is lockdown ...😼

So, I'm decluttering the flat again and come across a couple of cd albums in their digipacks . 
One of those was Jean michel jarre oxygene trilogy . I purchased that a few months ago brand new  for £10Bargain!

Having said that , I have all 3 albums on cd . This got me thinking . (Obviously too much time in my hands ) 

I have 4 versions of master of puppets, ride the lightning ( metallica ) 3 versions of some slayer albums .A few different versions of rush albums etc . 

It's  nice to have a bit of a passion about something ,  but I realised that   I have become ..maybe  over obsessed and let's face it ..how many versions of the same album do you really need ?? 

I get that there are  previously unreleased and  added tracks that make things collectible . 

So, I'm considering once again of letting my vinyl go . 

I very nearly sold one of my basses a few weeks back , while asking a similar question about how many basses do I really need .

Anyway , how many of you out there have got more than one version of the same album ? It can't be just me ,can it ? 😼

In decades past, I have had several (too many to remember...) 'Surrealistic Pillow' LPs and CDs. Each was obtained because the previous one was worn out. The bug-bear was that the original, very first one had a specific UK playing order and track listing, and all future versions a different one. I had to make my own 'compilation' to recover the UK version, and it's that that I now listen to, from flac files on my PC. I Don't think there was any UK version CD issued, so I shan't be buying any more, and my flac files are unlikely to wear out anyway, despite their heavy use. :i-m_so_happy: I have back-up copies, of course..! 9_9

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 1

I have a few accidental duplicates - CDs that a purchased twice, having forgotten that I already had a copy .  I will keep these, for the fun of proving that my CD player sounds better than my DVD player, in an A-B comparison.  

However, all my duplicates (CD and vinyl) have now been sold, or given away. 

My dad has three copies of Dire Straights greatest hits - single album; single album plus live concert; single album plus radio interview (to which a local DJ would add in his questions, and Mark K would reply thanks to the magic of editing).  The Radio Edit was a bit of fun for him to have.     

31 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

The bug-bear was that the original, very first one had a specific UK playing order and track listing, and all future versions a different one. 

Aha! I have the same issue.

I plan to buy some Jean Michael Jarre albums on CD that I had on vinyl, and am wondering if I want the original version (to retain the integrity and familiarity of the original release), or the extended version.  Or both . . . .  

unless you have OCD (Obsessive Collectors Disorder) I don't see the point of having more than one copy of anything, if any at all in this age of streaming and massive cheap hard drives, personally I'd stick with the vinyl copies, come the day when some sort of virus wipes out all things digital, I'll be laughing 🤣, and also being an old nostalgic fart I still like putting a record on.

Our Singer has OCD, for years he bought Vinyl and CD copies of albums as well and still buys reissues with 'bonus' tracks, he refuses to get rid of any of them

Edited by PaulWarning
  • Like 1

I would keep one version of each type of media that you have/use i.e. in your case one on CD & one on Vinyl.

FWIW I got rid of most of my vinyl cos I stored them in the shed whilst decorating & forgot to move them back!. Some of the covers got ruined but still played ok. I now have CDs, Ripped music, Downloads (not streamed) & a small amount of Vinyl. CDs are a good source to keep for the car & ripping for one's PC/Mac media player.

Adios

56 minutes ago, bass_dinger said:

Aha! I have the same issue.

I plan to buy some Jean Michael Jarre albums on CD that I had on vinyl, and am wondering if I want the original version (to retain the integrity and familiarity of the original release), or the extended version.  Or both . . . .  

Trouble with jmj , is that he sells expensive speakers as well as music . If it were me , I'd just buy the remastered CDs ( latest versions );. 

• Like 1

Think I have 6 copies of Joy Division's "Closer" lying around, on various formats (original vinyl, vanilla CD release, deluxe/boxset versions and the cassette copy from when Factory went through a phase of reissuing stuff on tape in nice little boxes)

I have quite a few duplicate LPs in my collection. Might be an original pressing and a remastered version, different coloured vinyl or one version on a single 33 rpm 12" and another on 2 45 rpm 12"s.

Plus I my also have a CD copy

Edited by bartelby

55 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

unless you have OCD (Obsessive Collectors Disorder) I don't see the point of having more than one copy of anything, if any at all in this age of streaming and massive cheap hard drives, personally I'd stick with the vinyl copies, come the day when some sort of virus wipes out all things digital, I'll be laughing 🤣, and also being an old nostalgic fart I still like putting a record on.

Our Singer has OCD, for years he bought Vinyl and CD copies of albums as well and still buys reissues with 'bonus' tracks, he refuses to get rid of any of them

Great points Paul . 
Back when cds came out,  we were told that it was th3 future etc etc and I started to sell vinyl and buy CDs . Some albums were recorded direct metal mastering ( master of puppets  for example as the original pressing sounded like it was recorded  in greasy joe's 🍟🥩)

Then we have remastered CDs such as thr stones with original artwork for about £8

Back in the day , it was something to look forward to , when buying vinyl . As we can now listen to music more or less 24/7 on phones etc while on the bus etc the novelty seems to be gone .

I too have many ( cheaply paid for 😼) downloads and ripping stuff onto iTunes for example is a pita with glitches etc.  Vinyl is harder to maintain . 

What I'll probably do, is keep CDs as I like the sound quality and if a virus happens I'll still have a hard copy 😼

I used to be a Freur/Underworld obsessive and bought everything they released in every format. This was partly spurred on by the discovery that for the some the albums the CD versions of some of the songs were different to those on the vinyl versions. Since everything has now been put into my iTunes library, I've rationalised the collection and removed all those songs that are exact duplicates. 

I used to have thousands of records, way more than I could count. When we lived in London I had vinyl at home (and tapes and CDs), plus vinyl in my studio and the overflow vinyl was kept in a Big Yellow storage unit along with recording equipment and instruments etc. Fair enough, I used to DJ regularly and would trade and deal in vinyl as well. So I’d have multiple copies of all the UK Beatles mono and stereo LPs, probably near a dozen copies of the “White Album” alone, ready to sell or trade if needs be. UK and US full runs of Hendrix and Stones LPs in mono and stereo for instance, box upon box of rare jazz releases often doubled or trebled up (UK mono / US stereo / Japanese reissue with Obi, etc) plus crates of funk, soul, Latin, Brazilian and psych and folk... just tons of records. Everywhere. 

In the end I sold off or gave away the vast majority of my hoard (I’m not sure you could call it a collection as it was so sprawling and out of control) and got it down to about 500 LPs & 12”s plus a similar number of 7”s. But after a recent move I still find myself with some albums where I have the vinyl, the CD and the original 1970’s cassette copy too... It just happens. I still haven’t really got into streaming, I would do, but often find that stuff just isn’t available when I go looking for it online.

But I’ve still got 1000s of CDs. When places like Fopp were knocking them out new at £3, that’s when I accumulated them all without trying. Plus I’ve a lot of rare soundtracks, library music and jazz CDs that aren’t on streaming sites, not yet at least. And the vinyl LPs of them are £££s... I guess I should just hang on to them?

• Like 2

Vinyl is still my format of choice because it was the one in use when I started to become a music obsessive.  I acknowledge the significant pull of nostalgia but there is still something special about pulling an LP out of the (generally very impressive these days) sleeve and poring over the package/lyrics/artwork as the first side is spinning.  And thank you, BC - so far we've got several posts into this thread without anyone using the aberration that is 'vinyls'. :)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bass Culture said:

And thank you, BC - so far we've got several posts into this thread without anyone using the aberration that is 'vinyls'. :)

Down here in France they say ‘vinyles’ - you’ll see that term used in music shops and online a lot. I would only ever say ‘vinyls’ to upset purists. (And it defo upsets them) 😂

• Like 1

I’ve three copies of Never Mind The Bollocks by The Sex Pistols, my original vinyl version and 2 CDs, one of which is the remastered version which I bought for the car. Similarly I have 2 CD versions of Appetite for Destruction by Guns N Roses for the same reason, again remastered version for the car.

• Like 2

Just now, Lozz196 said:

I’ve three copies of Never Mind The Bollocks by The Sex Pistols, my original vinyl version and 2 CDs, one of which is the remastered version which I bought for the car. 

Ohhh, “Never Mind The Bollocks” ❤️ I had a uk Virgin 1st press, plus a red/green UK repress, a couple of USA copies, an original Virgin tape cassette copy... I was obsessed with that album, still am probably. Superb album, like so many from ‘77. 👍

I've got tape and cd versions of surfer rosa and bossanova by the Pixies, i got the tapes from a second hand shop and later got the cds when i saw them very cheap in hmv.  I've often found tapes to get pretty unreliable as times go by so thats why really. Ive also got rank by the smiths on 12" and 10" vinyl, I saw the 10" version a few years agoin a second hand shop years after i got the 12" and as i had never seen or heard of the 10" version i thought i should get it despite not using the record player much anymore.

13 hours ago, Tdw said:

I've got tape and cd versions of surfer rosa and bossanova by the Pixies, i got the tapes from a second hand shop and later got the cds when i saw them very cheap in hmv.  I've often found tapes to get pretty unreliable as times go by so thats why really. Ive also got rank by the smiths on 12" and 10" vinyl, I saw the 10" version a few years agoin a second hand shop years after i got the 12" and as i had never seen or heard of the 10" version i thought i should get it despite not using the record player much anymore.

You've reminded me I need to buy all the Pixies post-reformation stuff.  Have everything of theirs up to Trompe Le Monde on vinyl....God, I loved that band (cue wistful staring into the distance with vacant smile on face).

16 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

I’ve three copies of Never Mind The Bollocks by The Sex Pistols, my original vinyl version and 2 CDs, one of which is the remastered version which I bought for the car. Similarly I have 2 CD versions of Appetite for Destruction by Guns N Roses for the same reason, again remastered version for the car.

You've just reminded me . I have 2 cd versions as well 😺. Great album ..

18 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

I’ve three copies of Never Mind The Bollocks by The Sex Pistols, my original vinyl version and 2 CDs, one of which is the remastered version which I bought for the car. 

I bought 'Kiss This'  when it came out in the early 90s for the car. All of 'Bollocks' and the rest of their good stuff without the extra guff on 'Swindle'. It came with a 'Live in Trondheim' CD. 

In fact I'm going to dig it out and pop it in the car now. 

Edited by Maude