Why become a member? ×

4 string bass in drop C

Basszilla

Morning all,

It's been a while since I delved this low tuning wise on a 4 string bass. In fact it's been a while since I played bass regularly due to life etc.

I'm now working on a remote project with old friends whereby the music requires this set up. 

I've never been a 5 string bass guy so my question is this:

'Recommend a set of strings for a 4 string bass to achieve a good tight sounding drop C set up' 

Instrument wise I have two US PB and a Euro LX Spector. 

I used to use this set up 16 or 17 years ago and now I find myself coming full circle, such is the way. However I've been so entrenched in standard tuning since then i can't remember how I set up exactly gauge wise etc.

TIA 

Tim

Edited by Basszilla

Bass boomers are good strings, singy to start but they die pretty quickly, Flea uses them, but he has a fresh set every gig.

You can use the bottom 4 of a 5 set but you may have to file your nut where the E now C string sits.

Specifically made for drop timing the DR DDT (drop down tuning) strings are very good.

Personally I just stick to my regular DR Hi Beams standard 4 string set and they handle any tuning - one bass is currently in Drop B with them and it’s all gravy

I have tried any number of strings with this tuning over the past 7-8 years. 

The fact that the low C is dropped two whole tones from standard while the other strings are only dropped one whole tone means that getting a 'balanced' set of strings from a standard pack is pretty tricky. It might be better buying single strings. 

My advice would be to look at the tension ratings of your preferred strings in standard tuning and try to use a set that has a similar tension in drop C. There are string tension guides online which are worth looking at (D'addario's one is very good). Of course, tension isn't the only factor. Other factors such as compliance, the touch of the player, preferred string height, the fret work of the bass, the relief in the neck,  all play a role, however I think that looking at tension is good at pointing you in the general direction and after that there is a bit of trial and error. Also, if the low C is just used for a low C (and not a D for D standard) you can probably use a much heavier low C string to get a tighter response. 

Brief reviews of the strings I have used on a Fender Precision and Sadowsky Metro are as follows: 

GHS 'Heavy' Boomers: 115-50: Good strings, decent even tension, didn't last that long but perfectly good strings. 

Rotosound 'singles' set 115-50. Decent tone, didn't last long and it had that Rotosound 'rough texture' thing going on which I like but some folk hate.  

DR DDT: 115-55: Good strings but frankly I didn't like them due to how unbalanced they were. The tension on the low C was alright, however the 75 and 55 gauges were really far too tight for being tuned to C and F. Great for Sabbath tuning (C sharp standard) but anything above that was too tight and anything below that and the strings went all flubby. 

Dunlop Heavy Core 115-55: pretty much exactly the same issues as the DR DDTs above. They have been discontinued I think. 

Custom Newtone set: 50-110: better than the DR DDT, though very expensive and not as good as the D'addario set below I can  source for about half the price. 

D'addario EXL160BT: 120-50. These have generally been my first choice. Balanced(ish) tension so the higher strings do not feel like unmoveable steel cables and low string doesn't handle like a bit of Spaghetti. Cost effective too as they only cost around £20 or so.

My current choice is a set of Elixirs  I made up a set on Strings Direct: 50-130 (50-70-95-130). I found that the D'addarios only last a few rehearsals and gigs before going dead. The Elixirs have been installed for more than a year now and still sound fresh (well, the lack or rehearsals and gigs probably helps!). The 95 gauge for the G (A in standard) is pretty tight but Elixir don't make a 90 string and the 85 string isn't heavy enough for my own taste/ham-fisted touch. 

Edited by thodrik
  • Like 1

Thank you all!

Food for thought there.

I've ordered some GHS boomers to see how they translate.

Of course my bass will need to be set up to accommodate.

I have a Euro LX spector and two pbasses. 

The band is flat out metal and though I've always used my Spector in metal bands in the past, I may give my fender a look in this time round. 

Thanks again 

Edited by Basszilla

11 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

Personally I just stick to my regular DR Hi Beams standard 4 string set and they handle any tuning - one bass is currently in Drop B with them and it’s all gravy

I've found the balanced-tension sets to be great, because usually the lowest string has the least tension, thanks to the stupid diameters that are chosen in sets:

s-l300.jpg

Right now I have a set of these on my 34" scale Premium Soundgear & it's tuned BEAD!

Edited by Killed_by_Death
fixed image url