Why become a member? ×

Ibanez Roadster MegaCustom

hubrad

Hi all,
Everyone over about 40 is probably familiar with the trusty Ibanez Roadster..

[attachment=22559:normal_Ibby_023.jpg]

I got mine second hand, 20-odd years ago, already fretless with an unlined ebony board. Had to get a fretless and this one sounded ok and was in my price range.. under 200 quid with a hard case.
As I took up bass to play in a ceilidh band, I soon fancied the idea of being able to play D below the E string, but couldn't cope with detuning one string. With hindsight, why didn't I think of detuning the whole bass? :)
Anyway I tried a cheap 5-stringer, one of those Hohner cricket bat ones, which persuaded me that was the way to go. Ripped the frets out (as opposed to de-fretting it!) but it just didn't have the sound of the Roadster.
I reet fancied the Status headless look, but even then you were looking at 1500 pounds, so sadly not on the cards!
Out came the drills.. I worked out there was just enough space to fit a 5th string on that board. Only trouble was, with a 2-a-side head, the middle string tuner had to stick straight out the end.. kept snagging on curtains and band members! ;)
So, with hope in my heart and more than a flutter in my stomach, I hacksawed the head off. As you do. Used the Hohner hardware at head and tail. 'Job's a good un'! The truss rod cover stayed on board by way of a memento.
Over the years, I developed tastes for fancier pickups. Not that the originals (poss. DiMarzio) were bad; poss low budget old school GAS? I had good communications with a pickup maker in Cornwall called David White, now sadly deceased, I believe. He sent various trial pickups for the experiment. Nice chap. New holes routed and drilled in the bass.
After a few years I got hold of my first EMG soapbar, and I was hooked! More routing in the bass, and 2 pickups fitted.
Reduced the controls down to Volume and Blend, so had a load of holes to cover.. gaffer tape for the switch holes and Wenge for the hardwood-filled spaces around the EMGs.
So this was my bass for the last 15 or so years..

[attachment=22560:before_wb.jpg]

I've been meaning to give it a tidy up for yonks!
Finally got some flamed maple from Neil at [url="http://www.nscustomguitars.co.uk"]http://www.nscustomguitars.co.uk[/url] , then hung around for another couple of years plucking up courage to do the deed. :rolleyes:
Got into the zone a couple of weeks ago.. we're going in!
First, the facing Wenge off.. now I can see the hardwood blocks again.

[attachment=22564:faceoff_wb.jpg]

Then onto the Nitromors and scrapers etc.

[attachment=22567:stripping_wb.jpg]

I've found some top abrasive called Abranet.. heartily recommended! It doesn't clog like normal sandpaper, and if you have a vac attachment the dust just gets sucked straight through. :D ;)
Having cleaned the finish off so as not to clog the machinery, it's off to see my local luthier Thomas Buchanan - [url="http://www.folkmandolin.co.uk/"]http://www.folkmandolin.co.uk/[/url] - for a run through his flatbed sander..

[attachment=22561:buchanan.jpg]

and back home to glue and clamp..

[attachment=22562:clamped_wb.jpg]

After some drying time, a couple of whips around with a router..

[attachment=22563:edgerouted.jpg]
[attachment=22566:routedsmooth.jpg]

to get the shaping right and the pickup and control holes in place.
Now my bass body is back at Buchanan Heights as spraying lacquer around the place is definitely not one of my hobbies!
Can't wait to get my trusty Roadster back up and running.. it's done every bass gig with me and has become my comfort zone! :lol: :lol:
More news and pics soon!
HUGH

lol seeing this conjured up conflicting reactions

firstly I hated to see any decent instrument being hacked up but
[list]
[*]it didn't look so bad headless after all
[*]its great that a low budget instrument can be reinvented like that - its the equivalent of a former warehouse converted into cheap workspaces and workshops.
[*]it may look like a completely new instrument after this work is done
[/list]
And after all that, I admire your dedication and commitment to this particular tool. The stories it could tell, eh? :)

[quote name='josh3184' post='443322' date='Mar 24 2009, 12:36 AM']I'd always be worried about taking the facing off a bass, you'll done a bloody good job on that![/quote]
Ha! Friends in high places.. see the pic with the power machinery! :)

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='443162' date='Mar 23 2009, 09:46 PM']lol seeing this conjured up conflicting reactions

firstly I hated to see any decent instrument being hacked up but
[list]
[*]it didn't look so bad headless after all
[*]its great that a low budget instrument can be reinvented like that - its the equivalent of a former warehouse converted into cheap workspaces and workshops.
[*]it may look like a completely new instrument after this work is done
[/list]
And after all that, I admire your dedication and commitment to this particular tool. The stories it could tell, eh? :)[/quote]
It was this very decency that led to the hacking!! I just couldn't fund anything 'better', and the pieces of wood just sounded so good acoustically. I've since played various basses which are supposed to outrank this, but I suppose because I tweaked it so much myself it still really does the job.
Mind you, a fretless Overwater....

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='443162' date='Mar 23 2009, 09:46 PM']it didn't look so bad headless after all[/quote]
I still like headless.. balance is superb!

[quote]The stories it could tell, eh? :rolleyes:[/quote]
On gigs involving camping it would even share the tent! :)

I'm sticking to natural lacquer, so it'll just enrich rather than stain.
I'm a sucker for a nice bit of woodgrain. :)
Something like this:

[attachment=22741:buchanan...ple_back.jpg]

which is Buchanan's standard lacquer on an extremely tasty bit of maple!

Edited by hubrad

HmmHmmm!
Just got the body back yesterday from Chateau Buchanan, and feel suitably chuffed with the natural lacquer results.
Barring a couple of tiny dings that I'd missed (plus a few bits which would be impossible to change!) and one small finish bleb in a hidden away spot this now looks amazing.
[attachment=23108:roadster...ont_fame.jpg][attachment=23109:roadster_back_ash.jpg]
I sat up daft late last night and got the bridge and neck back on.. still needs setting up but reminds me just why I'm doing this.
:) :D :rolleyes:

p.s. anyone know anyone who could plate or lacquer the old metal truss rod cover? I still have this by way of a badge(!)

[quote name='harryharold' post='451255' date='Apr 1 2009, 10:34 AM']oooo that top is pretty, want to see it with the bridge and neck on - more pictures!!!![/quote]
Here's a taster, shot late last night.. not wired up yet and had to use fast ISO speed so grainy as you like, but it gives the overall effect.
Better pics soon when finished.

[attachment=23186:roadster...ont_assy.jpg]

:)