Why become a member? ×

Zoom B3 Noob Question

glassmoon

Hi all, 

I'm considering getting a Zoom B3 as a means of reducing my footprint (train travel means lightening the load) and also having a few possibilities for my function band without the need for a lot of pedals (which I don't have). 

Hopefully this will be a simple enough question to answer, but can I do this.... 

• Have button 1 as a permanently ON compressor/preamp
  • Button 1 is a universal setting regardless of the bank. (same basic sound throughout
  • Button 2 and 3 as effects for as-and-when required effects. 

Oh, can I use a Boss type of 9v to power the unit, or is there a specific power supply I will need. And my thanks in advance. 

Julian 

You can't do this on the B3 because the limit is three simultaneous effects, so you could only have: (1) compressor, (2) preamp, & (3) any other effect.

However, you could on the newer B3n (which has five slots).  You can choose which of the five are controlled by the three footswitches.  So (1) compressor & (2) preamp, not assigned to any footswitch; leaving you with slots 3, 4, and 5 for any three other effects, controlled by the three footswitches.

You can use any Boss-shaped 9V power supply.  The official current draw for B3 and B3n is 500mA.  I know for B3 you should be fine with 200mA; not sure about B3n.

Yes I think jrixn1 covered it, unusually for a multi-effect, you can't assign multiple effects to one button, each one is one effect, so you're limited to three per patch. I always had button 1 as my compressor, and the other two as effects. You would need the B3n if you wanted slots 1 and 2 to always be your compressor and preamp, with different effects switchable on the buttons.