Why become a member? ×

Does this bass exist??

JuliusGroove

I’m looking for something with 24 frets, 5 strings and 19mm spacing.. I’ve got a Mayones Jabba atm which I adore but I just can’t get on with the 18mm spacing (or more that switching between that and my other wider spaced basses gets too annoying)

Ideally something not too lairy looking like the MTD’s etc, I really do just like the look of a fender or a nice bit of wood.. Always got on with the jazz bass configuration. Also not overly fussed about it being active!

Any advice??

1 hour ago, MoonBassAlpha said:

Would a bridge with width adjustment get you there? depends on how close to the fretboard edge at the dusty end you can go, or tolerate

Excellent suggestion. As long as there is a little room either side of the outer strings, especially from say the 12th fret up, going from 18mm to 19mm spacing should be a simple bridge swap. The pickups will probably be almost completely unchanged in evenness across the strings.

3 hours ago, JuliusGroove said:

I’m looking for something with 24 frets, 5 strings and 19mm spacing. Always got on with the jazz bass configuration. Also not overly fussed about it being active!

Any advice??

2 hours ago, AREA said:

You could use the Maruszczyk Configurator. Eyerything you're looking for is an Option there... 

Tick tick tick tick :D

Elwood C.png

MTD, Warwick broadneck, Overwater Custom, Modulus Graphite wideneck (up to 21.5 mm)... yes, there are possibilities but they also tend to cost quite a lot. I have a Modulus Genesis 5 and the neck is just wonderful.

This Ibanez AFR is ticking all the boxes, except that it doesn't have a neck pickup. And it's a damn terrific ergonomic bass https://www.ibanez.com/usa/products/detail/afr5pbp_1p_01.html

Here is a video by someone who knows a bit about basses

You can find them in different iterations at bargain prices quite easily.

Edited by Hellzero
Big fingers...

More traditional in the look, but really ergonomic and light, the Sivcak basses with top notch quality on every aspect and lightweight.

m_9aa.jpg

https://www.sollerguitars.com/index.php?option=com_flexicontent&view=item&cid=28:seria-ndhs&id=522:ndhs-5-063916&Itemid=101&lang=en

Or this one :

m_10a-1.jpg

https://www.sollerguitars.com/index.php?option=com_flexicontent&view=item&cid=30:seria-tb&id=151:tb-5-045211&Itemid=101&lang=en

These basses are a big next level compared to Maruszczyk, with something he doesn't have : an aftersale service.

You can also configure your own bass too.

Check the prices too !

Edited by Hellzero
Spelling

10 hours ago, EMG456 said:

Except if you're looking for 24 frets it's presumably because you want to play them which looks pretty difficult on that bass.

Oh of Course you can have the Elwood with 24 Frets. The lower Cutaway is a little bit deeper then...

• Like 2

A 24 fret Sadowsky Metro would fit the OP's criteria of something that looks Fendery and has 19mm string spacing. There is a new 24 fret 'Warwick made' Sadowsky Metro on Bass Direct for slightly under £2k. 

If you have the cash though, there is all number of boutique J basses out there, Mike Lull, Overwater, etc

At sub £1k level, I am pretty sure that the Sire M series have 19mm spacing, but may be wrong. They are cracking basses but not overtly Fendery looking.

Edited by thodrik
Inability to distinguish millimetres from inches

57 minutes ago, thodrik said:

A 24 fret Sadowsky Metro would fit the OP's criteria of something that looks Fendery and has 19mm string spacing. There is a new 24 fret 'Warwick made' Sadowsky Metro on Bass Direct for slightly under £2k. 

At sub £1k level, I am pretty sure that the Sire M series have 19inch spacing, but may be wrong.

I give a strong second to the Sadowsky Metro. Great sounding basses.

PS: @thodrik How big are your hands???? 😮😂

Edited by Acebassmusic
  • Haha 2

23 hours ago, JuliusGroove said:

I’m looking for something with 24 frets, 5 strings and 19mm spacing.. I’ve got a Mayones Jabba atm which I adore but I just can’t get on with the 18mm spacing (or more that switching between that and my other wider spaced basses gets too annoying)

Ideally something not too lairy looking like the MTD’s etc, I really do just like the look of a fender or a nice bit of wood.. Always got on with the jazz bass configuration. Also not overly fussed about it being active!

Any advice??

Sandberg sounds like the answer to me. 

• 7 months later...