BadHands

What are the Top 4 envelope filters, synonymous with bass?

Hi all,

reposting here as the effects thread seems quiet.. What would you say is the Mount Rushmore of envelope filters on bass?

Any modern contenders?

Thanks!

For me, three high contenders are:-

EH Bass Balls

EBS Bass IQ

Mutron 

I have two of those which I find fun to use (I've never felt inclined to spend the money on a vintage Mutron, or any effect for that matter) - however the EBS was quite expensive for the time, when I bought it. You can tell how long ago - it was from the Bass Centre when it was a shop!!  

Edited by drTStingray

I reckon that the EHX Bassballs and the Mu-Tron (currently at Mk IV) hold the place of absolute classics. The Moogerfooger 101 gets an honourable mention here, but has been discontinued now.

The MXR Bass Envelope Filter is very popular with good reason- it is clean and well behaved, but has a nice character to it as well.

I think my wildcard would be the WMD Protostar for tons of options and patchability!

EHX Q-tron + is what I use

Used to have an original ‘70’s Mu-tron, but the above covers what it did.

Have to say that although the Line 6 Pod XT is pretty old hat these days, it had a nice envelope filter on it (as well as a whole lot more), and can be had cheap.

• Like 1

I find the Boss FT2 ticks most of the boxes for me,I also have the MXR but It's the FT2 which is my go to filter.

Baseballs, MXR, the ashdown  worked fine too but is quite large.

My vote goes to:

- Moog MF-101 Low Pass Filter

- The 3 Leaf audio Proton

The Moog is greasy and and squelchy, everything you'd expect from Moog, plus it has all the extra options afforded by CV ins and outs. The Proton is really clean, with really well tuned controls, and I'd say a touch more versatile than the Moog.

8 hours ago, csmallett said:

What would you say is the Mount Rushmore of envelope filters on bass?

I'd say that the Mu Tron really stands alone as the classic envelope filter. So many other filters are based on it. Special mention to pedals like the EHX Bassballs, the Seamoon Funk Machine, and the DOD 440.

There are tons of great new filters about, by companies like EMMA, MXR, Subdecay, Mr Black, and reissues of the classics mentioned above.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The old green Dod envelope filter certainly tested the bottom-end handling of your rig on certain settings?

Mutron & Bassballs would be my recommendations

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Bassman68 said:

The old green Dod envelope filter certainly tested the bottom-end handling of your rig on certain settings?

Is that the one Flea uses on his bass instructional video, assisted by Chad Smith on drums. The green one? Is so that quacks like fe*k in his hands, using a 3 band Stingray (on the rest of the video as well)!! 👍 I'd forgotten about DOD. 

I tend to use the EBS in preference to the Bass Balls - you can see from how battered it is!! 

image.thumb.jpeg.de1f6ea9b7f145d056053d968834a0a0.jpeg

Edited by drTStingray

2 hours ago, drTStingray said:

Is that the one Flea uses on his bass instructional video, assisted by Chad Smith on drums. The green one? Is so that quacks like fe*k in his hands, using a 3 band Stingray (on the rest of the video as well)!! 👍 I'd forgotten about DOD. 

Yeah, it was the old DOD FX25.

I loved the old DOD FX25B (the ‘bass’ version with the clean blend), but the effect was below unity, so useless for live.

Other than that I think the MXR Bass Filter is king of them. I would like to try the old 3Leaf GR2 though!

Si