gareth

Ebay - buyers beware seller scams

2 hours ago, gareth said:

I’ve tried but they are not interested 

A good tip that we’ve both found is that if you call them in the evenings the Americans are on duty so can guarantee being able to understand them and that they will understand you

Thats really bad. What happens if you 'really' need to genuinely use the returns process at some point in the near future - you might have some difficulty with that on your record. I'd push them to rectify the situation 

3 hours ago, paul_c2 said:

Do you have 2FA on your account?

1 hour ago, pete.young said:

Ebay has 2-step verification. This is an added security measure that sends a verification code to the ebay app on your mobile device. I'm not sure if this still works if you log in via a browser on a PC, perhaps I will set it up and test it.

https://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Announcements/eBay-launches-a-new-2-step-verification-method/ba-p/6303827

It's not what I'd call 2-Factor Authentication: for that you would need a totally out-of-bound method for the verification code, such as Google Authenticator or Microsoft Authenticator. But it's better than just using a password.

Thanks for your comments 

But just to re emphasise the point - my account was not hacked

I can't see the last two pages of the transcript, but, based on the first two, to me the most likely explanation is that the two parties in the chat transcript are either the same person or two people in collusion.

I cannot imagine it was the intent of eBay that the online chat should be doing anything more than churning out canned responses that direct people to interact with the appropriate pages on the eBay site or app.

40 minutes ago, linear said:

I can't see the last two pages of the transcript, but, based on the first two, to me the most likely explanation is that the two parties in the chat transcript are either the same person or two people in collusion.

I cannot imagine it was the intent of eBay that the online chat should be doing anything more than churning out canned responses that direct people to interact with the appropriate pages on the eBay site or app.

I’m not sure here are the transcripts and case closed notification 

0700F324-1444-457E-A48D-C2202C77FD2A.jpeg

A8DED093-6DBA-4CEF-8639-1EA0A2D42A57.jpeg

9AA49911-4B29-4428-BE74-B2EC364963A4.jpeg

54846D50-1FC3-4B22-8427-4C5C9FACBB14.png

B0038FE7-901F-46F1-AE7D-30AA04495D6A.png

5520958B-83D5-4786-B627-24E59011FA0B.jpeg

5E32E047-CE76-46B2-AACB-84AF07C8514C.png

B1A0B60A-837A-48AF-B93A-CAC3BDAB37A1.png

B030EED5-1191-4419-AB17-68BBD86F69B5.png

It's a little tricky to follow, and there are a few bits missing, but l think my 'inside job' theory is looking very unlikely.  If only because to get away with something like that implies a lack of oversight that wouldn't require simulating so much fake chat.  Also, there's the one where they try to open the case too early, and the insistence on the case being opened without a comment.

I didn't realise they not only opened the case, but closed it too by saying the item had arrived after all.  Very slick.

How did they get your phone number and email address?  I don't normally get those when I sell something on eBay.

As before with nothing to add really. If eBay's system can "override" the usual login by an eBay chat operative opening (and closing) cases based on the buyer's address/phone number then its a waste of sand for the processors its running on.

Also what doesn't help is that if a claim is opened and closed, then it cannot be re-opened (although you can see why it might be logical to not allow an undelivered claim to be reopened if it were already).

If they can do that, they can do more. I suspect what's happened is a Paypal chargeback has been made and the fraudulent seller has done it again with a deliberately abusive message whilst impersonating you, in order to try get your account tarnished. 2FA is an indirect strategy to protect against other kinds of account fraud, but if they don't even need to log in at all (see 1st para) its moot anyway.

Since you have been refunded now, its not really your fight any more but its a clear loophole in eBay's system, and one they probably wouldn't admit to but I imagine would close once aware of.

34 minutes ago, linear said:

It's a little tricky to follow, and there are a few bits missing, but l think my 'inside job' theory is looking very unlikely.  If only because to get away with something like that implies a lack of oversight that wouldn't require simulating so much fake chat.  Also, there's the one where they try to open the case too early, and the insistence on the case being opened without a comment.

I didn't realise they not only opened the case, but closed it too by saying the item had arrived after all.  Very slick.

How did they get your phone number and email address?  I don't normally get those when I sell something on eBay.

How did they get your phone number and email - address? 

You have an ebay account where they don’t know these things?

3 minutes ago, paul_c2 said:

As before with nothing to add really. If eBay's system can "override" the usual login by an eBay chat operative opening (and closing) cases based on the buyer's address/phone number then its a waste of sand for the processors its running on.

Also what doesn't help is that if a claim is opened and closed, then it cannot be re-opened (although you can see why it might be logical to not allow an undelivered claim to be reopened if it were already).

If they can do that, they can do more. I suspect what's happened is a Paypal chargeback has been made and the fraudulent seller has done it again with a deliberately abusive message whilst impersonating you, in order to try get your account tarnished. 2FA is an indirect strategy to protect against other kinds of account fraud, but if they don't even need to log in at all (see 1st para) its moot anyway.

Since you have been refunded now, its not really your fight any more but its a clear loophole in eBay's system, and one they probably wouldn't admit to but I imagine would close once aware of.

Yes I agree Paul thanks 

3 minutes ago, gareth said:

How did they get your phone number and email - address? 

You have an ebay account where they don’t know these things?

Sorry, I meant do you know how the seller obtained your phone number and email address?  When I sell something on eBay I normally just get the buyers name and a postal address.

36 minutes ago, linear said:

Sorry, I meant do you know how the seller obtained your phone number and email address?  When I sell something on eBay I normally just get the buyers name and a postal address.

It’s a long time since I’ve done it but in the advanced search you can request these details 

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, gareth said:

It’s a long time since I’ve done it but in the advanced search you can request these details 

It appears that method was taken away with GDPR, but after a bit of googling I was able to get access to both email and phone number for my past seller transactions.

This is a bit of a revelation to me.  I do not give out my email address and phone number to random parties I don't trust, because it opens you up to fraud in general, not just on eBay.  All my care in my eBay interactions has been focussed around selling; it never occurred to me that buying might be a risk, as the worst I thought could happen was having to do a credit card chargeback.

I'm off to switch my eBay and PayPal to a dedicated email address and phone no, and while I'm at it this has given me the necessary nudge to move away from SMS two-factor authentication on the few things I have that use it.

I'm really glad you made this thread.  Thank you.

Edited by linear
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, linear said:

after a bit of googling I was able to get access to both email and phone number for my past seller transactions.

Thanks linear, Out of interest I’ve just tried this on eBay, not all of my past transactions gave the phone number, but some did, it seems you have to opt to give your number, I’m going to check that I haven’t opted to do this somewhere 

Let us know if you track it down; the eBay site is such a mess it's seems impossible to know definitively what you can and cannot do.  I had to turn on the Seller Hub feature to get access to a proper 'order details' page that showed buyer info, including the phone number.  Interestingly, their email address was either missing, or masked with an intermediary ebay address, but I can get it via the PayPal transaction.  I imagine there are other ways.  Navigating the interface is like travelling back in time 20 years.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, linear said:

order details' page that showed buyer info,

I clicked on contact seller, then other from the list of options then view phone number, but it only works in safari, not on my app