Why become a member? ×

What do you think is missing from effects demos/comparisons on YouTube?

BadHands

Hi all,

Debating starting a YouTube channel as there are certain things I feel are missing when watching people demonstrate pedals for bass (Yep, another one of those people).

I've already got a list of things I want it to include, but I'm curious as to what you've been disappointed is missing/grateful was included when listening to a demo? 

The main reason I'm thinking of doing it is to compare and combine effects, so making sure I use active and passive, different playing styles/intensities, and pedal order (ALWAYS adjusting pedals accordingly) are the main 3 which stick out to me, alongside playing appropriate styles. 

*Bonus question*

Feel free to include the effects demonstrators you keep coming back to because they strike the perfect balance for you.

Thanks!

I'd like to see the effect put through a high quality amp as well as a more inexpensive amp. And for it not to be a slap-womble-fest, but rather a mix of playing styles. And if possible, added to a pre-recorded band mix, to help hear it in a real setting.

Edited by WarPig
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

For the most part, the few I have watched are more about someone demonstrating their own ability above that of the pedal/amp/whatever.

The best one I have encountered was a guy who recorded a part straight and then fed the playback through the various pedals. He also had an inset with the settings so that you could easily see them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lozz196 said:

For overdrive pedals I’d like to hear the just break up stage rather than the full on demos. Sure the full on stuff can be fun but unusable in many situations unlike the just hitting break up stage.

This ^

I hate went they just crank it up, the equivalent of sitting in a car reving the engine, when what you want to know is what's the pick up like in 4th from 30-50mph 

Edited by Rollin Thunder

When you’re in the market for a particular pedal the most useful reviews are the A/B shootout, switching between different variants of the same pedal - be that from different manufacturers, or different editions from same manufacturer. Janek did a good one like this on the OC5 against OC2. 

Having someone demo just a single pedal in isolation is ok, but with so many other variables (bass, strings, recording chain , playing style ) it helps to have the direct comparison all in one setting.  

Also always have the pedal settings permanently displayed in a corner window. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Drax said:

When you’re in the market for a particular pedal the most useful reviews are the A/B shootout, switching between different variants of the same pedal - be that from different manufacturers, or different editions from same manufacturer. Janek did a good one like this on the OC5 against OC2. 

Having someone demo just a single pedal in isolation is ok, but with so many other variables (bass, strings, recording chain , playing style ) it helps to have the direct comparison all in one setting.  

Also always have the pedal settings permanently displayed in a corner window. 

These are two BIG things I want to include. Comparing two kinds of pedal with the same rig (and trying active and passive), and comparing them with that. Maybe there are bigger differences between two versions of the same pedal on an active bass, than passive. That's important to know.

As far as the settings, it grinds my gears to dust when they're playing around and I have no idea what the settings are.. 

Also , gig volume demos?! 

Over the years I’ve had pedals sound great at home but then totally different (worse) once cranked to proper volume. 

A lot of work to execute, which I guess is why no one does it. Would be great USP for someone’s channel. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Drax said:

Also , gig volume demos?! 

Over the years I’ve had pedals sound great at home but then totally different (worse) once cranked to proper volume. 

A lot of work to execute, which I guess is why no one does it. Would be great USP for someone’s channel. 

But without a live guitarist, drummer and vocalist, is it still a true test? I do like the idea of a full-volume live test, though. Might have to wait until post lockdown.

4 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

In addition to exploring the touch sensitivity around just breaking up on distortion pedals another request...

Test if it be possible to set up so ON is only fractionally louder than bypass. A pedal that can only do its thing 10dB louder than clean is no use to me.

In the interest of comparing wet/dry sounds I'm thinking of starting at unity, and only upping the output at all if it has any difference on sound. This might only come in to play with stacking pedals, but certainly food for thought, thanks!

• Like 1

On 28/02/2021 at 14:01, Lozz196 said:

For overdrive pedals I’d like to hear the just break up stage rather than the full on demos. Sure the full on stuff can be fun but unusable in many situations unlike the just hitting break up stage.

Yes, that was my thought too. Don't just turn everything up to 11 and shred away. What I want to hear is milder overdrive like a cooking amp not "Big Muff into a Tube Screamer into an OD-1"!

And like @WarPig said, no SlapWombles!!!

Edited by TrevorR

5 hours ago, csmallett said:

But without a live guitarist, drummer and vocalist, is it still a true test? I do like the idea of a full-volume live test, though. Might have to wait until post lockdown.

In the interest of comparing wet/dry sounds I'm thinking of starting at unity, and only upping the output at all if it has any difference on sound. This might only come in to play with stacking pedals, but certainly food for thought, thanks!

You are thinking in terms of pedals that are always on.

I am thinking of switching on and off without a care about blowing out the level.

I'm probably not your target audience, but two reviewers get it very right in my book, our very own @Dood and the Bass Whisperer. They demonstrate the gear, not their chops or ego. Go along their lines and I'll watch next time I'm in the market for a pedal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/03/2021 at 17:43, Mykesbass said:

I'm probably not your target audience, but two reviewers get it very right in my book, our very own @Dood and the Bass Whisperer. They demonstrate the gear, not their chops or ego. Go along their lines and I'll watch next time I'm in the market for a pedal.

Can you link a video of theirs for me to check out please?

Ideally, I'd like to hear pedals in a band mix setting. So often pedals and settings sound great in isolation but you end up needing wildly different settings live.

Could a good mix of guitar, vox, keys and drums be recorded in a few different styles. Have some standard reference tracks and then test those pedals with the backing tracks?

Edited by redbandit599

The pedal/bass whatever....
The pedal/bass whatever with drums behind. 

That for me starts to give me enough idea of what it sounds like in a mix.

What I don't want is The pedal/bass whatever with drums behind and a full band mix. Unless I'm super interested in the gear (ie about to buy) I'm mostly browsing on something with speaker that aren't great for bass. I can live with that... if the whole band is on there it just ends up telling me how good or not your electric playing is as that's all that comes out the speakers... 

I think what demos are missing is Patrick Hunter. Without his presence demos will sound different which will lead to bass players all over the world scratching their heads like confused plumbers.

Soon, Patrick Hunter will be doing all effect pedal demos. Everything will sound the same. One clip of him gurning like a hyena with a particularly unpleasant rectal problem will become interchangeable with another. All pedals will sound like Darkglass. 

Later, a sub culture of bass players who could remember the days before Patrick Hunter gather together round outdoor fires trying to pass on knowledge that bass doesn't always have to sound hyper distorted and played like a seal having a stroke.

After elderly bassists try to teach the next generation how to use a chorus pedal properly, all bass pedal companies are bought over by Darkglass with Doug Castro selling a range of pedals which are all B7k Ultra pedals with stickers over them that say "flanger," "delay," or even "ring modulator." Patrick Hunter is brought in to ensure reviews are conducted in their usual "dog chasing it's tail" way.

Soon Patrick Hunter becomes revered as a bass playing god by the younger generation. Any review causes Darkglass shares to increase by 10% in value so much that Doug Castro is able to buy Amazon and turn it into a bass pedal shipping company.

The population's needs are soon insatiable for more reviews and pedals. Dissent from anyone not playing a Dingwall/Darkglass combination is crushed mercilessly by Getgood stormtroopers. Anyone over 40 playing "Mr. Pink" on a Status Kingbass is executed immediately as an enemy of the state.

Patrick Hunter is elected as Secretary General of the UN which by this point is nothing more than an extension of the Darkglass empire.

All music is now controlled with Patrick Hunter limiting it to only songs which have Darkglass products used on them. Djent and Metalcore experience a resurgence in popularity.

However, underground, a small group of p bass players using flats have managed to survive. Classified as terrorists, these bass players have avoided the Getgood kill squads and are now trying to bring down the system, by exposing the population to Jaco Pastorius and Kajagoogoo.

Despite information being tightly controlled, they plot furtively in the shadows for the end of the Darkglass/Hunter hegemony imposed now by Getgood stormtroopers. As part of their published manifesto, they insist that all "Youtubers" will be prosecuted for crimes against humanity with trials being held in Silicon Valley. With these revolutionary ideas gaining traction, the one pedal state is planning a crackdown....

• Like 1
  • Haha 3