Why become a member? ×

Precision Indecision

uncle psychosis

Hi guys, having a proper first world crisis today.

My main bass is a G&L M2000 tribute. I like it, but I've never loved the active electronics. 

I recently bought a 32" Aria Csb-380. I love the sound and feel of the Aria, but the balance is all off for me. I spent ages messing about with straps and it doesn't sit right on me... 

So now I'm convinced I want some old school passive tones, probably just a Precision (most of my idols are P players), but finding one in 32" is nearly impossible.

So either I just suck up the 34" and buy a Player Series P - which look great, or I buy an Ibanez Mezzo (which doesn't do old school passive tones and the aesthetic doesn't "grab me" all that much). I've been playing 34" basses for years so it shouldn't be that big a deal really, but the Aria really is super comfy... 

Or go down a different route and get a mustang. I could probably spring to a Vintera if I consolidate some other stuff and have it as my only bass. 

Any sage words of advice? 

I was about to mention the L-2000, since the bass and treble controls are always passive, no matter whether the active switch is on or off - but then I remembered that the Tribute M2000 has a 1½" nut and the Tribute L2000 a 1¾" nut. 

PS the Tribute Kiloton has the same 1½" neck as the Tribute M2000, is entirely passive, with a series/parallel/single coil switch for the single humbucker 

Edited by Ricky Rioli
  • Like 1

Scratch the itch and get the Precision. Pretty much all of my fave bassists played Precisions but for some reason I tried to get that sound from loads of other basses (unsuccessfully) rather than just buy a trusty Fender Precision. But the day I did, well it all finally clicked & made sense. 

Sounds like you want a P bass!  I had a G&L L2500 which was really nice.  Similar to Lozz196, I spent my time trying to dial it in to sound like a P bass.  It gets quite close but yes in the end, I sold it and got a P bass.

There's a P bass available at every budget. I got a Classic Vibe 70s P, knowing I had the option to return it and move up the price point if I wasn't happy.  But I like it a lot and kept it, and ended up getting a second CV 60s P as well. You can get two CV for the price of one Player. I keep them set up slightly differently, to cover all eventualities: one has flats and the other has slightly different flats 😀

2 hours ago, uncle psychosis said:

My main bass is a G&L M2000 tribute. I like it, but I've never loved the active electronics.

If you like the M2000 but not the electronics why not remove them and go passive?

@KiOgon will knock you up a passive loom and you're good to go. Completely reversible if you don't like it.

• Like 1

32" scale Precisions do exist but you'd probably do best looking in Japan for one.  I managed to get one from someone on here then imported a couple more.  All gone now, of course.

If you like the precision look and sound but are considering 30" scale then you could do a lot worse than a Harley Benton PB Shorty.  Almost unbelievably mine sounds like a vintage Precision bass.  Played and set up well straight out of the box.  I was intended to mod it when I bought it, upgrade various elements but, actually, once I started to play it I realised I don't need to.  Don't be put off by the ridiculously low price.

I'd just get a P-bass, if you don't you'll end up with a nagging feeling at the back of your head telling you you made th wrong decision, then you'll have to buy one later down the line anyway. 

Lots of brands and price points available. 

There's a reason everyone plays P's - took me 15 years to work that one out! 

Pretty sure the Squier CV Jaguar is 32” scale with passive P/J so you get a little extra versatility if you need it, and a shade cheaper than the Player range...

EDIT: so it is, here you go 

https://shop.fender.com/en-GB/squier-electric-basses/jaguar-bass/classic-vibe-jaguar-bass/0374560500.html

Edited by theyellowcar
  • Like 1

Yeah I thought long and hard about a Maruszczyk but a bit rich for my blood. 

Having wanted a P bass for years, and having obsessed over this "problem" for too long, I decided that the "what you really want is a proper P" voice needed to be listened to. So on that basis, along with life being short and lockdown sucking, I have ordered a Player Series P. If it turns up and I can't get on with the neck then...well that's what DSRs are for. 

Re: the G&L, I thought about making it passive but having read about M2000 mods online I got the distinct impression that for various reasons the M2000 pickups don't really like being pacified... Once the P arrives I'll reassess it - I might put flats on it, or maybe try changing the preamp. Or both. 

• Like 2

I used to hate them and think they were  one trick ponies but it’s one f u c king amazing trick that it does really well 

it took a lowly squier vm p to tech me this. Bought on eBay for pennies as “parts or not working” but it only had a duff bridge connection 

sold for more than double, with a dash of seller’s remorse as a dish served cold 

Nearly welcome to the world of straight up P - it’s great.

If it doesn’t quite sit right with you and you still want a P, I fully endorse what someone else said earlier about the G&L LB100 - it’s probably the best bass they do in their range.

I may be wrong but recently they seem to be more G&L’s with the #12 neck as standard - PJ size - earlier in their offerings they had a huge range of dimensions and there are some very very good options to suit preferences - couple of the best necks I ever played were G&L

Hope it works out

Edited by Cuzzie
  • Like 1

So... 

... Had ten minutes to play the new P. I like it a lot. That's just the sound really, isn't it? 

I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't prefer 32" but I'm pretty convinced that I'll cope just fine with this as is. 

Also, let's give Fender their due. This might be the first new instrument I've bought that I can't find a single flaw on! 

• Like 2

Just now, uncle psychosis said:

So... 

... Had ten minutes to play the new P. I like it a lot. That's just the sound really, isn't it? 

I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't prefer 32" but I'm pretty convinced that I'll cope just fine with this as is. 

Also, let's give Fender their due. This might be the first new instrument I've bought that I can't find a single flaw on! 

A few bumps and scrapes it will be even more perfect

congrats