Why become a member? ×

HIya!

Jolltax

After decades of humming the bass lines to tracks and never even picking up a guitar I have recently been nerding out on 'Beginner Bass' videos and reviews and like the idea of buying a Yamaha TRBX 304 - strangely difficult to find one in stock in the UK right now, for some reason.

I found a teacher near me (hope he is patient!) and hope to start learning after lockdown. Am already learning a lot lurking in here.

Wish me luck, and Hi!

Jolltax

• Like 2

Welcome aboard! :crigon_04:

There are so many good value basses available, and anything by Yamaha is good.

I first picked up a bass three years ago. I'm not good, but I can get by, and it's one of the best things I've done. Welcome to a great, if occasionally very frustrating,  hobby 😎

• Like 1

In the end I decided I couldn't really afford the Yamaha, and didn't want to wait as I wanted to start learning to play.  After a bunch of further research I pushed the button today on a purchase of a Sire Marcus Miller M2 from Andertons, very exciting!

Next question is lessons, I am hoping to get some face to face tuition once lockdown is lifted.

J

That link is to a 5 string - have you gone straight to the dark side?? 

Check out StudyBass.com as an excellent free resource to start learning bass. I really recommend reading his lessons, especially the starters. Things like how to hold a bass, avoiding injury, all worth getting down early.

Scotts Bass Lessons is also excellent, cost works out around $100, which is the equivalent of three decent lessons.

Happy days 🎵🎵👍

(There are some good reasons to play 5 string though. Which is why I bought one a couple of weeks back 😉)

• Like 1

Oops! No, I bought the 4 string, not sure why the default on the website I linked is the 5 string, sorry that was a bit misleading! 🙄 (I had a quick panic and checked my order and its deffo 4 strings - I was super paranoid about not ordering a left handed instrument by accident but forgot about the number of strings)  

When I get a bit of time I will try the trial for scotts bass lessons, have read a lot of good things but feel like a real human being might be a better way to start for an oldy like me.

J

4 hours ago, Jolltax said:

I was super paranoid about not ordering a left handed instrument by accident but forgot about the number of strings

😁

I started after the age of 50. Yes a real human is the best option, not sure what Scott Devine is ...😉

Just make sure you do something with a bit of structure to it - hence the StudyBass recommendation.  You can of course download bass tab and experiment and do all that too. I spent ages with a bass tab of "Day Tripper" just after I bought my bass. I've never been that high up the fretboard since, and couldn't play it at the proper speed to save my life, but it was fun and sounded like music.

Look forward to the pics of the bass as a NDB post on the Gear forum.   (NBD = New Bass Day)

• Like 1

Welcome Jolltax! I've been playing more or less for over 10 years and never taken a lesson so you'll probably excel past me in a month or so 🤣.

I've not been posting very long but I've found a lovely group of people here from complete novices to professionals, who never despair of sharing their wisdom and insights with generosity.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jolltax said:

I got my bass, very happy, here is my NBD thread - I have completed module one of my course and can happily report I have now played notes on all the strings !

J

Kid gets a bass at school as his "instrument to learn". 
Comes home on Monday and Dad says "What did you learn?". Kid replies "I learned about the E string".
Comes home on Tuesday and Dad says "What did you learn?". Kid replies "I learned about the A string".
Comes home on Wednesday and Dad says "What did you learn?". Kid replies "I learned about the D string".
Comes home on Thursday, and Dad has been on Google and so asks "Did you learn about the G string today?"
Kid replies "Nope, but I've got a gig tomorrow night"

• Haha 1