Why become a member? ×

Are Sterling SUB Ray4 basses heavy basses?

Cat Burrito

On 27/02/2021 at 18:47, Cat Burrito said:

I keep hovering over these online but I am definitely at a stage where I need a lighter bass these days. What are these like, from anyone with actual experience? Basswood bodies but I have a feeling they aren't going to be the lightest.

Funny you should ask this as I'm actually taking delivery later this very day (Monday) of a Mint Green Sub Ray 4. I've been um-ing and ah-ing over these for a while now and after watching a bunch of Youtube demos and reading up on various reviews, decided to bite the bullet. As others have said, the weight comes in at around 8.9 lbs (4.04kg). My full-fat Stingray5 is around 11 lbs so, personally, I don't expect the SUB to be too much of a problem. :) 

Edited by Stingray5
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Stingray5 said:

Funny you should ask this as I'm actually taking delivery later this very day (Monday) of a Mint Green Sub Ray 4. I've been um-ing and ah-ing over these for a while now and after watching a bunch of Youtube demos and reading up on various reviews, decided to bite the bullet. As others have said, the weight comes in at around 8.9 lbs (4.04kg). My full-fat Stingray5 is around 11 lbs so, personally, I don't expect the SUB to be too much of a problem. :) 

I'm definitely interested in your verdict when it arrives today. :sun_bespectacled:

• Like 1

On 27/02/2021 at 19:20, TheGreek said:

I have a 5 string - not particularly heavy - certainly not as heavy as my Sire 5er.

There's a very nice Seafoam green/ mint one in the Basses for sale thread - check with the seller...

Yeah, that green bass is the nuts.

As I only play at home, I did think of buying it . This would mean I'd have to let a bass go . Or maybe all of them ..😼

Just checked the weight of my Sub by feel against my original MM and the Sub feels just a bit lighter.

I purchased the Sub as a back up and was expecting a similar sound to my MM, I surprised that it wasn’t, I use a fair bit of compression on the MM to give me a nice snappy sound, with exactly the same set up with the Sub it sounds horrible, it gives a distorted muffled sound, I had to reset all the EQ on my amp and zero compression to get somewhere near my preferred sound.

I would assume the Sub has cheaper electronics/pick up which is giving it a harsher gravely sound.

C7F80F71-D240-4932-9C1A-B867DA13CD03.jpeg

Edited by steantval
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, steantval said:

I would assume the Sub has cheaper electronics/pick up which is giving it a harsher gravely sound.

There was some discussion on BC and other forums some years ago about the SUB preamp being somewhat on the 'hot' side, so that the only way to get a good clean sound was to turn down the volume on the bass or lower the pickup.

I'm not sure if that's something that's been addressed in the meantime.

Edited by Cato

I had a new black one arrive from PMT as a new purchase but it’s condition was a bit tatty and more like B stock so I returned it.

In the end got a PBass !

In my past I did play an EB Stingray 4 USA and always thought I would stick with active basses but I think the PBass is hard to beat as a good all rounder 

4 hours ago, Cat Burrito said:

Thanks @Oopsdabassist Where did you order yours from?

the sub or the scales?

Sub was from PMT Northampton about 3 years ago

The scales were off amazon as i recall, very handy for weighing up my basses!

re the PU being hot, there was a thread ages ago addressing this, I ended up soldering in a small resistor to calm it down a bit as in its standard format the output sound was horrible, it so very nearly went back to PMT.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cat Burrito said:

I'm definitely interested in your verdict when it arrives today. :sun_bespectacled:

Mint Green SUB has arrived, ordered from PMT Romford on Saturday and was well-packaged, set up and in tune. It's a busy day today so I've only had a chance to briefly check it over and have a quick play but first impressions (for me) are very good. I'm obviously not expecting it to match my 5-er or fretless but I have to say, from what I've managed to glean so far, it ain't half bad, mum! 👍😎👍

Next question is whether to fit a white pearl scratchplate? :) 

20210301_142105a.thumb.jpg.000b1ac76ebecf6b7a6ed7f9956f5ac7.jpg

• Like 3

As I understand it, the issue with the 'hot' preamp only exists on the first gen, Indonesian made basses.  It is fixed in the China made ones, and of course in the more recent ones where production has been switched back to Indonesia.

It's worth remembering that the stock pickup in the SBMM SUB is significantly different to the classic MM pickup.  It's ceramic, has different sized pole pieces, more windings (I think); mine has a bar under each coil.  The preamp is not a classic MM 2 band, but one specifically commissioned for the different pickup.

I found mine to sound pretty horrible at first, but discovered that if I started with the bass and treble controls at zero, bringing up the bass gradually to where it sounds right and then bringing in the the treble, fine tune from there - I was able to get a really nice tone.  Basically, I pretend the centre detents aren't there.  The bass has a MM flavour all of its own, and it's one which I think some people may actually prefer.

Edited by linear

• 1 year later...

Just watched a YouTube video of a little girl doing a Tom Sawyer bass cover with a mint green ray4, and came here to find out the weight as I was a bit amazed she could handle the thing.

Anyway, the kid would be like 8 years old I reckon, and if she can handle it, pretty much anyone can.

54 minutes ago, Doc955 said:

Just watched a YouTube video of a little girl doing a Tom Sawyer bass cover with a mint green ray4, and came here to find out the weight as I was a bit amazed she could handle the thing.

Anyway, the kid would be like 8 years old I reckon, and if she can handle it, pretty much anyone can.

If that’s Ellen Alaverdyan I believe she plays a short scale model and they weigh around 3.5kgs from what I’ve seen