Why become a member? ×

Fingers and or pick ( that old chestnut )

Guest BassAdder27

14 hours ago, 4000 said:

I can still get a shift on, was never a problem for me, but I think I’ve slowed down a bit too. The nerve issues in my arm hinder me. I used to be able to pick absolutely anything; can’t now. ☹️

Getting old has its problems right enough. I guess i dont need to prove myself o anyone these days. That's a bonus 😂

Dave

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Getting old has its problems right enough. I guess i dont need to prove myself o anyone these days. That's a bonus 😂

Dave

Well, i was going to let you come in for coffee, now i know you don’t care.........

• Haha 1

So after going back and forth I’m certain I will stay as a finger player 99% of the time

I have found that by adjusting my amp EQ I can get a pleasing punchy full tone that is good for the rock I’m playing.

Im going to put some Prosteels on my bass next time too for a little more brightness / bite 

Good as I am with a pick it doesn’t connect in the same way as fingers from a feel point of view 

Picks give you an attack, and punch to the note you don't get with fingers, which give you a warmth and depth that you don't get with a pick. The EQ's on modern amps are flexible enough to get someone into either ball park.

• Like 1

I find a good compromise of growing my finger nails to catch the strings and amp EQ can give me that same attack as a pick yet guitarists still debate this to the death. I think its mental instability amongst guitar players that causes this affliction. Maybe they are just sexually inadequate and just need gadgets to get there. 😂

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

• 2 weeks later...