Why become a member? ×

Fingers and or pick ( that old chestnut )

Guest BassAdder27

23 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Used a pick when i was taking lessons for 18mths about 40+ yrs ago then changed to fingers since. Been asked on several occasions to use a pick for more attack (usually by guitarists). I can do fast parts with a pick when palying a lot of different notes across all 4 strings but struggle playing broken 8ths on same note for some reason. 

I've gone down the route of growing my nails long enough to catch strings and provide enough attack that everyone is happy. I enjoy using my index finger as a pick. I find that quite a comfortable playing style altho the finger gets a bit painful under the nail after a while.

I keep working with a pick at home as it could be a useful tool in future.

I also get sore fingers holding a pick after about 20-30 mins but i'm putting that down to lack of practice with it.

Dave

Gripping too tight - try Dava picks as they have a rubber grip area - joy to use and if you rotate them and hit strings with the rubber bit, it takes the click away and gives you more that Motown thud, granted being a bit more sticky on the strings

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

Gripping too tight - try Dava picks as they have a rubber grip area - joy to use and if you rotate them and hit strings with the rubber bit, it takes the click away and gives you more that Motown thud, granted being a bit more sticky on the strings

where's the best place to buy them ?

Can only find guitar versions ?

Edited by dmccombe7

Be good to hear how y’all get on - I tried the rock control and they weren’t for me as it’s not a rubber grip, jazz tips also good but a lot smaller.

I like the fact that there is very little contact area of plastic/Delrin tip - it means you can get different expression with rubber and plastic hitting strings or even your fingers and pick if you grip down low

Edited by Cuzzie
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

I bought some Dava picks to try with my skinny stringers a few years back, I haven't used anything else since.

On the rare occasion I use a pick on bass they've been great for that too.

• Like 2

Years ago when mummy got me my first piece of firewood ( Hondo 2 ) , I just thought of using a pick . As I got older and started reading tuition books and after seeing stevie Harris, I thought I'd concentrate on fingers only .

Over the years , I've had mixed results which took time . What I found out , was If I play with one finger only I sound better than using any other technique . While trying to do 3 fingers I was making unnecessary noises which got picked up by the pickups and my guitar friend who was teaching me .

After joining a band where the guitarist wanted me to use a pick,I  couldn't do it and was baffled . It wasn't until gigging , I found that I could do both pick and fingers ,which came about by accident .  Now, I can do any of those , as I feel ..

• Like 1

When playing with fingers, my two spare fingers and the thumb, quite without my asking them to, started working out how to mute things very nicely. Presumably they're using the bit of my brain that works the sustain pedal on the piano. Whenever I try to take a peek at what they're doing, they tell me to sod off and mind my own business.

When I play with a pick, though, they can't do this, so I have to diligently think about how the edge of my right hand does the mopping up. I can't wait for my subconscious to work out what's going on and take that over. Until then, my playing with a pick is all rather plodding :/

• Like 1

I'm a fingers player, but would like to get to grips with a pick  as I do think it can be a useful addition to the armory.

I can knock out a few bits with a pick but I almost immediately miss that tactile connection between string and finger, the pick feels a bit like a barrier and I feel like I've been 'unplugged' from my bass.

I've never got anywhere near as fast with a pick as I can play with fingers either.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Whenever I try to take a peek at what they're doing, they tell me to sod off and mind my own business.

So true, that's exactly how it is !

A bit like some odd fingerings for certain bass parts - if you think about it too much, it stops happening......

• Like 2

Some interesting comments about pick or fingers ... 

I think although I can do both, I do find that it comes down to two things for me in choice 

1: Feel .. far more connected feeling using fingers and feels more natural and I can concentrate on the fretting hand more than the plucking hand 

2: Some songs for me  need a pick more so for the tone / sound and attack / speed but mostly the tone !

1 hour ago, Ricky Rioli said:

When playing with fingers, my two spare fingers and the thumb, quite without my asking them to, started working out how to mute things very nicely. Presumably they're using the bit of my brain that works the sustain pedal on the piano. Whenever I try to take a peek at what they're doing, they tell me to sod off and mind my own business.

When I play with a pick, though, they can't do this, so I have to diligently think about how the edge of my right hand does the mopping up. I can't wait for my subconscious to work out what's going on and take that over. Until then, my playing with a pick is all rather plodding :/

My brain is constantly muting my thoughts. Sometimes i'm a complete blank. 😂

Dave

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

My brain is constantly muting my thoughts

It was a turning point for me in my life when I realised that my conscious thoughts were just pointless fluff getting in the way of my brain doing the other 99% of its responsibilities. I know where I'm not wanted.

I can't decide first two minutes of this picking is inspiring or dismaying:

• Haha 1

On 27/02/2021 at 15:04, TheLowDown said:

No, how could I effectively mute the lower strings when using a pick? Fingers do a much better job.

Palm and left hand muting is such an important part of playing guitar with any kind of high gain that when I swapped from guitar to bass it just because a natural part of my pick-oriented bass playing style.  I wouldn't say that either fingers or palm are better at muting than the other...both are tools/techniques to achieve the same end result.

Edited by DaytonaRik

12 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

It was a turning point for me in my life when I realised that my conscious thoughts were just pointless fluff getting in the way of my brain doing the other 99% of its responsibilities. I know where I'm not wanted.

I can't decide first two minutes of this picking is inspiring or dismaying:

that's quite impressive pick style. I'm amazed at that. 

Nice.

Dave

• Thanks 1

Gave them a quick try and they definitely feel a lot more comfortable in the fingers and no sliding between my fingers with the rubber type material. 

Just got to master the technique now. I just dont have a natural rhythmic feel with the pick but if i use my index finger like a pick it feels more natural but i'll certainly give the DAVA  a chance.

Who knows this might be the turning point where i master the pick 😀

Dave

• Like 2