Why become a member? ×

One amp to suit them all...

Lfalex v1.1

I currently find myself without any amplification. I play Bass guitar (inc 5 string), EUB (also a five) and Chapman Stick.

What I do have is a small mixer with enough gain to serve as a pre-amp stage and sufficient channels to cope with both halves of the Stick's output.

Question is, do I opt for a combo, a power amp and cab or a powered PA FRFR speaker?

My last amp was a Trace SMX and matching cabs. I gather things have (sort of) moved on a bit since the 90's!

Opinions, please, learned members of BC.

I have just bought a QSC K10.2. For what I do now (Bass Guitar 5 string and DB 5 string) it is ample.

If I want to fight with a drummer (those days are well over) I would borrow another from work.

If I was going for a one cab solution I would go for a RCF 745.

If I wanted to amplify a Chapman Stick I know I would be having a nightmare and there woudl be backline provided in the nightmare. I tried one once and it made no sense to me at all.

• Like 2

If you like the sound straight out of the desk then a small powered speaker wold be the simplest way to do it. I used a QSC K10.2 live for bass and have put guitar through it (via a Fishman Pro Platinum) before, sounded very nice if you like clean sounds.

I put a 5 string through the K10.2 with no issues but if you're likely to be using it on a louder stage then you may want to look at larger/more powerful versions.

Edited by lemmywinks

The AER BassCube first generation with it's 3 channels will handle the electric bass perfectly, the double bass with all the necessary settings and the "stereo" Chapman Stick too.

Check the manual here to understand the huge possibilities of this powerful and transparent sounding combo AER BassCube.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The AERs look like a compact, tidy, one-box solution, but they look expensive for the performance on offer. I'd need to try one first, I think. 

The mixer/ powered speaker combination works out cheaper and is more flexible,  but it's less tidy and I've reservations about the tone. Maybe I shouldn't be so bothered; I currently play through a Korg Pandora/decent headphones,  so that's pretty clean,  especially without amp sims running.

On 01/03/2021 at 17:32, Lfalex v1.1 said:

The AERs look like a compact, tidy, one-box solution, but they look expensive for the performance on offer. I'd need to try one first, I think.

The performance is outstanding but I would agree generally with the above. Having sold my AER and moved to an FRFR solution such as described below, well I suppose that speaks for itself.

The mixer/ powered speaker combination works out cheaper and is more flexible,  but it's less tidy and I've reservations about the tone. Maybe I shouldn't be so bothered; I currently play through a Korg Pandora/decent headphones,  so that's pretty clean,  especially without amp sims running.

👍

Edited by Frank Blank

I can’t comment on the bigger AER combos but my AER Amp One is shockingly loud and deep sounding for its size.  Don’t look at the specs, try one. I’m sure it’s fit for purpose!

If you go down the separate amp and cab route, I can recommend the Greenboy Fearless F112. I’ve got one and it has a wide and very even response, and is really all the cab most people need.  Check out the Bass Whisperer’s youtube review to learn more.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jazzjames said:

I can’t comment on the bigger AER combos but my AER Amp One is shockingly loud and deep sounding for its size.  Don’t look at the specs, try one. I’m sure it’s fit for purpose!

If you go down the separate amp and cab route, I can recommend the Greenboy Fearless F112. I’ve got one and it has a wide and very even response, and is really all the cab most people need.  Check out the Bass Whisperer’s youtube review to learn more.

I agree. I've owned an AER amp one and an AER amp two.  Both are amazing and although expensive, once the money is spent, you have a fantastic amp for many, many years.

I haven't owned an AER amp three but I've heard one at an outdoor gig and it was loud and deep from 400 metres away.  They are all stunningly brilliant amps.

Frank.

• Like 2

Sticking to the practical what exactly do you want this for? Are you playing for a band or expecting to when things straighten out? If so is this with a drummer or something quieter? If you are using this at home and are there any space issues? Do you have a PA system or expect to use one soon? How about studio monitors if this is for home use only? If you are strictly an at home player and you mix your own music then bigger monitors could be a solution.

From the little we have I'd say go down the Active PA speaker route. I have a couple of RCF ART310's they handle bass happily up to their full output and in any case have DSP managing the speaker protection. They sound great but neutral and I've used one on it's own for rehearsals and I'd happily use a pair for just about any gig. You could of course buy one and add a second if you needed extra volume. They also make a great PA

The other consideration is how loud you want to go. You can't really do everything with a single 10, a lot maybe but not everything. A 12 will get you pretty much there if it is a good one and with most 2x10's or a 15 you can cover the bottom end. That's state of play with technology at the moment and it applies to bass speakers and PA speakers equally. The other thing to think about is that to an extent at the bottom end of the market you get what you pay for, don't expect a cheap, no name PA speaker to handle bass competently at high volumes.   

Thanks, Phil. I'll clarify further. 

It's primarily for domestic use, but may need to be pressed into action for rehearsals and even gigs. Invariably for me, if/when that does happen, Animal will probably be on the drums, so some proper power/ headroom is certainly desirable.

I've never yet been in a band that has had its own PA, and I don't expect that to change. Not because we've been "lazy" per se, but more because we've been playing venues that have a house PA.

Space at home is not infinite, but I've lived with mid sized amps before (300w head, 2x10, 4x10 & 1x15)

Shopping list is kind of;

Transparent. 

Capable of dealing with various instruments.

Enough power to deal with loud gigs but still clear enough at domestic levels

Size? Not too great an issue. 

Cost? If it meets the above and is durable, I'm willing to pay for it!

As I have said before in similar threads, I ditched my all my rigs (2 bass and guitar one) in favour of a Helix Floor (full version) and an RCF745 FRFR at a combined new cost of around £2k. That might sound like a lot, but one of the bass rigs that it replaced had cost me quite a bit more than that, and most of it had been bought second hand and 10 years earlier, so in real terms the new set up was a complete bargain.

• Like 1

^ He gets it.

Modelling with powered FRFR (to include DSP to flatten the response) is where its at.

And when I say FRFR, I'm talking PA speakers, not a unit driven by marketing that is labelled FRFR - but contains naff speakers (and little to no DSP to flatten out the response of the cab) in comparison. 

Edited by EBS_freak

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

As I have said before in similar threads, I ditched my all my rigs (2 bass and guitar one) in favour of a Helix Floor (full version) and an RCF745 FRFR at a combined new cost of around £2k. That might sound like a lot, but one of the bass rigs that it replaced had cost me quite a bit more than that, and most of it had been bought second hand and 10 years earlier, so in real terms the new set up was a complete bargain.

That is a really great practical set up and when you state it like that it also is a wise financial investment. 

I have probably spent upwards of £1500 on bass pedals alone over the last ten years, without even factoring in what I have spent on amps and cabs, so it really brings into the value for money of of the Helix FRFR route once you get your head around the concept. 

Disclosure: I'm a 4 controls on the front of an amp guy. . . . . and have never used a pedal in my life.

Since discovering Bassworld/Basschat and falling into the buying gear trap, I have owned many amps. They come and they go, but Thunderfunk is the one make that has stayed since 2007. First the 550 then the 750.

Lately Aguilar is giving it a run for it's money, but deciding which to use is a great problem to have.