Why become a member? ×

What live albums to you "appear" on...

TrevorR

7 minutes ago, Paul S said:

I certainly hope they come over again.  I was astonished.  SSJ 'emptied the tank' as they say, couldn't have put any more effort into the performance.  I still wouldn't be interested in sitting down and listening to a studio album, mind you - it is all about the live energy. 

I have some live stuff ( as well as all the studio albums too) - give me a shout if you need any help sourcing anything. Maybe also worth checking out Little Steven and the Disciples of Soul - Steve Van Zandt wrote many of the best songs for SSJ, and his band really kick a*s.

Cheers, Pete.

Edited by casapete
  • Thanks 1

I was at the Kiemsa 'Adieu' concert, Nantes, 2011, and am mentioned in the DVD sleeve credits, along with Our Eldest (he was there first 'First Guitar', and I did the sound, then lights for a few years with them...). Great kids, great times. (I also attended their very first concerts, too, but they were slightly less prestigious..! :lol: )

• 2 years later...

IMG_1159.thumb.jpeg.e0c71b763fd5866e7dfa335ac23f4d3e.jpeg

At the risk oh having to dig out my LP collection and hurl Dire Straits’ Brothers In Arms at this thread… I thought I’d post an updat as the number of live albums I “appear on” [very large inverted commas there] just ticked up by one. 

Just got a copy of “This New Noise” by Public Service Broadasting. It’s a recording of the Proms concert they did last year with the BBC Symphony Orchestra. This was a one-off performance so we were chuffed to get tickets.  Didn’t spot ourselves in the BBC TV broadcast but it was a fabulous concert. We had earlier in the summer gone to the  Earth Prom and we appeared in the interval interviews section so we’d already had our 15 minutes of fame!

Anyway, the album is as good as remember it and well worth a look if you like their indie, documentary, archive clips style!

IMG_1156.thumb.jpeg.92c0a388e44c6e3f14a1a085d9d64377.jpeg

On 26/02/2021 at 15:09, Cat Burrito said:

Without wishing to burst any bubbles, the crowd noises are often not from the concert. My old band did a live EP in the early 90s. It got single of the week in RAW magazine and you can hear the crowd genuinely screaming in excitement between our songs. The crowd were actually at a Prince concert!

This.

I once worked for Levi Strauss when they were still making iconic adverts and sponsoring everything that moved...

Because of this I got free tickets to the Brit Awards one year. PJ Harvey did a duet with Bjork of the Stones' 'Satisfaction' using a mini synth (might have even been a stylophone!) and on the night there was a mixture of stunned silence and boos. It was fecking awful!

It was broadcast the following night and there were massive cheers!

Someone at the Brits must have a side gig at the Ministry of Truth.

On 26/02/2021 at 12:57, uk_lefty said:

I was in the crowd at the Reebok stadium when Coldplay filmed their video for Fix You. This was before Coldplay disappeared up their own derrière so far they came out their mouths and did it all over again. It was an OK gig. A friend from work who came with me got lifted up on to another friends shoulders so if I can ever be bothered to freeze the video and look for her I may be able to see the top of my head. 

By massive coincidence the band I'm now in covers this song... and did before I joined so it wasn't me pushing for it!

I'd forgotten these three completely. 

I was at the Hammersmith for shows that became CD3 of Rush's Different Stages set (Feb '78), Blackfoot's Highway Song Live and Whitesnake's Live At Hammersmith.

As my brother dropped out of the Rush gig at the last minutes, I went with the 'hardened gig-goer' who was my brother's girlfriend's brother.  I remember the opening riff to Bastille Day and everyone standing up.  He remained seated, shouting to me, 'Everyone will sit down in a minute.'

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE said:

Great gig ! Possibly the hottest gig ever 🥵. Getting home in the early hrs after missing the last tube was not fun ..

one of the very few gigs at the Astoria where we were upstairs .

I nearly gave up on getting my merch signed after the gig, as the smell of pish, at the back of The Astoria was overpowering. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Level 42 - A Physical Presence

Recorded at three gigs: Woolwich Coronet, Chippenham Golddiggers and Reading Hexagon. I was at Reading. Surprisingly, the bit where Mark King told us that "Woolwich is a sh!thole but they can sing better than you" didn't make it on to the record. :lol: 

Edited by Rich

On 26/02/2021 at 12:09, Cato said:

I'm singing backing vocals with about 80,000 other people on two live albums recorded at the Monsters of Rock in 1992.

Both The Almighty and Iron Maiden released their sets as albums, although I think the Almighty one might have been a bonus disc with something else, rather than a stand alone release.

Other than that I'm in the 'Alice Cooper Trashes the World' live video for  a fraction of a second during a panning crowd shot.

I was there too!  Still got some pics from it too. 

• Like 2

Not a live album as such, but a live videotape (remember them?). Think I've told this story before on here, but for anyone who's not heard it, in January 1983 myself and couple of mates from the Saxon Militia Guard fanclub made the trek down from Blackpool to Nott'num in a pale yellow Mini Metro (remember them?) hire car - very metal, eh? - for the recording of Saxon's Live video at the Royal Court Theatre. 

No sooner had we picked up our Guest passes and settled in for a few hours ligging before the show than one of the roadies grabbed us and said "Hi lads, have you come in a car? Great, we need someone to drive over to Leicester and pick up a guitar for Graham. We'll pay for the petrol." So, me and one of my mates, plus the aforementioned roadie, fire up the Mighty Metro, and head off to Carlsbro Music, from where we collect a sunburst Squier Strat before heading back to the Royal Court via a petrol station for a fill-up (on expenses, of course). 

Fast forward to showtime, and we watch with anticipation from the balcony at the side of the stage, waiting for "Our Guitar" to make an appearance. Eventually out it comes for "And The Bands Played On", at the end of which Graham Oliver throws the thing into the air, drops it on the floor, sprays it with lighter fuel, and sets fire to it. Doesn't he know / care about all the effort we put into fetching it for him?!?!?!? 🤨

Obviously, our other contribution to what was a great show (and a great video IMHO, particularly Dobby Dawson's tone throughout, not to mention his bass pedal "demo" at 11:11 in), was adding our voices to the massed "Wheels Of Steel" sing-back and the "Whoa-oh-oh"s in "And The Bands Played On", despite us being on the guest list, and thus too-cool-for-school. A grand day out. 😎

1 hour ago, RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE said:

I was at both of those . The vai gig was brilliant . It's a shame that Tony macalpine is underused imho , as he is a phenomenal guitar player and keyboardist . Man of many talents . 

Vai was ace but I have to say I thought the previous tour there with Phil Bynoe and Mike Keneally was better than Tony Mac and Billy Sheehan.

• Like 1

https://officialmeatpuppetsmerchandise.bigcartel.com/product/meat-puppets-live-manchester-2019

Not sure if I appear as such but I was involved in the audio recording of this as well as running one of 5 or 6 video cameras.

I mixed several of the songs (following highly detailed guidance from the band!) but the tracks used on the LP were completely remixed and I was credited solely as a photographer 😶 I did edit the videos that appeared online and can occasionally catch a glimpse of myself filming - my inner 15 year old who fell in love with the band on Nirvana Unplugged remains unashamedly thrilled at this.

• Like 1

Was at the Rush Farewell to Kings tour at Glasgow Apollo where they used Closer to  the Heart on the live album Exit Stage Left if i remember right.

I was one of the crowd singing from the stalls. :biggrin:

Happy days when people went to concerts to listen to the band and not sit gabbing a lot of s**t all night. Have to say there were far fewer women at rock/prog gigs back then. Just an observation. :facepalm:

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1