Why become a member? ×

What live albums to you "appear" on...

TrevorR

Xentrix- dilute to taste. 
recorded at the su at lancs poly, where I was a student and assistant stage manager. You can hear me shouting “behind you” just before the song ghostbusters

iron maiden- live at donington ‘92

I was there. Lol

ac/dc- live it donington ‘91

again- was there 😂

black label society- doom troopin dvd. 
A portion of it was recorded at the Astoria 

morbid angel- entangled in chaos

a compiled live album, but the pictures were from a show at the Astoria 2, which I was at 😉

black sabbath - reunion

live recorded across two nights at the neck in Birmingham. Was there with my best mates with tears in our eyes, as we thought we would never hear sabbath live with ozzy. 

im sure there’s more, but that’s all I can remember for now lol

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PaulThePlug said:

Was at the first ECT thing, Rock version of the Tube / TOTP but at least it was Live Music... Motorhead, in the small crowd and appear briefly... blink and you miss it

Great stuff 😼👍

I was at the hawkwind one . Wish I was at the venom one 😺

I remember the magnum one., where the frontman couldn't be heard . Very funny 😹

After seeing warlock on there, doro mentioned that warlock were playing the marquee that same evening . Great gig 

• Like 2

I'm on the Status Quo Live album, recorded in Glasgow, 1976. It was recorded over 3 nights and I was at 2 of them. I don't know which night they used but me and a couple of mates managed to blag our way back stage and met the guys after the second night's gig.  I met them again a few times after. Lovely guys.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bassman Sam said:

I'm on the Status Quo Live album, recorded in Glasgow, 1976. It was recorded over 3 nights and I was at 2 of them. I don't know which night they used but me and a couple of mates managed to blag our way back stage and met the guys after the second night's gig.  I met them again a few times after. Lovely guys.

I'm sure I read somewhere long ago that Rick Parfitt said they weren't happy with the first night but that the next two were worse so most of it was the first night. I think he was happy with the album but Rossi hated it - nothing new there!

I was at this one - Newcastle City Hall December 1981 

See the source image

• Like 2

This discussion reminds me of Michael Flanders' remark to the audience in "At the Drop of a Hat", on explaining that the show was being recorded in new-fangled stereo: "So wherever you're sitting now, that's where you'll be on the record."

Edited by Earbrass
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Cat Burrito said:

Without wishing to burst any bubbles, the crowd noises are often not from the concert.

And sometimes not never the recording is from the concert. This from wikipedia:

Contrary to the track listing, I Am the Walrus was actually not recorded at the Glasgow Cathouse, but at the Gleneagles Hotel during a conference for Sony music executives gathered to hear Creation Records' newly signed artists. The song was recorded during soundcheck, in an empty hall, at 10am.

Noel Gallagher said the band liked recording, but not the event, "one of them ____ things where all the ____s in suits get together and they roll on the new signings". The band actually did perform the song at the Cathouse in June 1994 during their Definitely Maybe Tour and had a recording of it, "which sounded quite similar but it was ____ing rubbish".

They decided to use the recording from the Gleneagles soundcheck, but credited it as coming from the Cathouse, adding crowd noise taken from a Faces bootleg album to make it sound like an authentic tour recording, "because it would look ____ if you put Live at Sony Seminar in Gleneagles. We thought, ____ it, no-one'll ____ing know. But I always meant to set the record straight one day. Sorry to anyone who bought it on the premise of being at that gig."

Edited by Ricky Rioli
Missed one of Noel's profanities
  • Like 1

On 26/02/2021 at 15:09, Cat Burrito said:

Without wishing to burst any bubbles, the crowd noises are often not from the concert. My old band did a live EP in the early 90s. It got single of the week in RAW magazine and you can hear the crowd genuinely screaming in excitement between our songs. The crowd were actually at a Prince concert!

I think we may have known this. Just thank heavens that all the playing on our fave live albums is completely authentic and hasn’t been liberally touched up in the studio afterwards, eh?

PS I understand that Pink Floyd’s audience have popped along to a surprisingly large number of gigs where the band happened to be recording a live album that night! ;) 

• Like 2

I was in the mosh pit in Fishbone’s Fight the Youth video recorded at the London Astoria in 1991. It was absolutely frantic in there and I’ve yet to see myself in the video but there was a Fishbone flag (seen in the video) over part of the crowd and, when I wasn’t crowd surfing, I was under that.

Edited by mike f
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, casapete said:

I was at the Newcastle Tyne Theatre for a gig by Southside Johnny and The Asbury Jukes in 2002. Didn’t manage to see myself once on the DVD recorded that night ‘From Southside to Tyneside’. Great band though.

Aren't they!  Mrs S had seen them some years back and when they were last over here (2019?) I went along to keep her company.  The only tune of theirs I knew was Springsteen's 'Fever' and I was expecting to be bored rigid.  It was actually one of the highlights of the year, they were absolutely fantastic. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Paul S said:

Aren't they!  Mrs S had seen them some years back and when they were last over here (2019?) I went along to keep her company.  The only tune of theirs I knew was Springsteen's 'Fever' and I was expecting to be bored rigid.  It was actually one of the highlights of the year, they were absolutely fantastic. 

Not only do we like the same basses Paul, now the same band! I absolutely love SSJ and The Jukes, probably my favourite band. Seen them maybe 30 times over the last 40+ years. First time was when they supported Graham Parker and the Rumour in 1977 at Bradford St George’s Hall, and they blew the headline act away. They’re one of those bands you could see a few nights on the trot and every gig would be different. Must admit the last time I saw them I thought they were not as sharp as before, but Johnny is now 73 so I’m probably being a bit unfair. Once touted as ‘The best bar band in the world’, and I wouldn’t argue with that.

• Like 1

I certainly hope they come over again.  I was astonished.  SSJ 'emptied the tank' as they say, couldn't have put any more effort into the performance.  I still wouldn't be interested in sitting down and listening to a studio album, mind you - it is all about the live energy.