Why become a member? ×

What live albums to you "appear" on...

TrevorR

The "Most listened to live albums" thread got me thinking about this. Now, I don't mean "has your band ever made a live album?" Rather, have you been to any gigs that have been immortalised in vinyl (or indeed magnetic tape if it was a live concert video). My brother Brian always maintained that you could hear him yelling on Rory Gallagher's Irish Tour '74 album - he and some chums followed Rory around on that tour seeing quite a few gigs and were at both the Belfast and Dublin gigs which were used for the show - they never got as far as Cork.

Thinking about it there are a few of the gigs I've attended that got caught on tape or camera - although I have nowhere near enough ego to claim that you can hear my dulcet tones cheering or yelling. So, let's think...

Gary Moore - Blues Alive - went to the Albert Hall gigs which were used, including the one where Albert Collins breaks a string...

Gary Moore - Blues Alive [New CD] 77778779827 | eBay

Gary Moore - An Evening Of The Blues (VHS): recorded at the Hammersmith gig on his first ever blues tour after Still Got The Blues came out.

30-3-91-Pgn23-Advert-on-Video-an-Evening-Of-The-Blues-With-Gary-Moore-15x11

Jean-Michel Jarre - Destination Docklands: when he announced that he was going to do a city concert in London there was no way I was going to miss that!!!! Very good, very wet!

Jean Michel Jarre – Destination Docklands (The London Concert) (1996, CD) -  Discogs

Gordon Giltrap and Friends: Live at the Symphony Hall: this was his big 40 years in the industry bash with a full orchestra and loads of guests. Great evening. I was in the second row, centre stage so maybe you CAN actually hear me cheering on this one! :D

Gordon Giltrap and Friends at The Symphony Hall - Gordon Giltrap - Dual  Disc DVD/CD

Threshold - Critical Energy: I've known the band for years so I came along to do their merch and some behinds the scenes, documentary filming for them on the tour where this CD/DVD was done (and the next one too)

upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/f/f6/Cr...

Threshold - Surface to Stage: recorded on the second tour and released as a direct to fan album.

upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b0/Surfacet...

And one very near miss... I missed appearing on my favourite Rush live album and DVD by one day! My chums and I booked to see both nights at Wembley on the Hold Your Fire tour. We all talked about hammering up the M40 to see the Birmingham show which was largely used for the album and in the end decided not to on the basis that two in a row was enough... oh, if only!

So what about you lot? Anyone appeared on Live and Dangerous, Live at Leeds, Get Yer Ya Yas Out or even, Celine Dion: Live In Las Vegas?

• Like 2

I'm singing backing vocals with about 80,000 other people on two live albums recorded at the Monsters of Rock in 1992.

Both The Almighty and Iron Maiden released their sets as albums, although I think the Almighty one might have been a bonus disc with something else, rather than a stand alone release.

Other than that I'm in the 'Alice Cooper Trashes the World' live video for  a fraction of a second during a panning crowd shot.

Edited by Cato
  • Like 2

I'm actually performing on a Kraftwerk bootleg CD (IIRC it's called "Computers In Love"). It's made up of recordings from their 1981 tour including the one I attended at Rock City in Nottingham. For the second encore "Pocket Calculator" the band came down to the front of the stage playing various portable devices, and after the line "By pressing down a special key, It plays a little melody" they held out one the keyboards to the audience to allow them to press the keys. Being down the front and in the right place at the right time, one of these tunes is being played by me.

Edited by BigRedX
  • Like 7

I'm also in the audience on some of the Fra-Foa live DVD. They happened to be on tour while I was on holiday in Japan and myself and my travelling companions went to the the Kyoto gig.

An all-round very bizarre experience.

1. Even though this was a small gig by an indie Japanese band, it was possible to buy tickets for it from the Lawson 24 hour shop through their nation-wide ticket purchase system.

2. On arrival at the venue, it appeared to be a "barn" at the back of a parking lot somewhere close to the main shopping area of Kyoto.

3. The tickets were numbered but there were no seats, so entry was done according to ticket number. If you had a low numbered ticket you could stand at the front. The higher your ticket number the later you were let in and therefore the further back you were. Our tickets were in the low 200s and we were about the last to be let in. However once the band came on all the politeness went out of the widow and we were able to get much closer to the front.

4. You were given a bottle of beer on entry, probably because there was no bar and therefore a way of letting the audience have a drink and not upset any local licensing laws. One of my companions tried to get a second bottle mid-way through the gig, which cause no end of confusion among the organisers!

• Like 1

I was in the crowd at the Reebok stadium when Coldplay filmed their video for Fix You. This was before Coldplay disappeared up their own derrière so far they came out their mouths and did it all over again. It was an OK gig. A friend from work who came with me got lifted up on to another friends shoulders so if I can ever be bothered to freeze the video and look for her I may be able to see the top of my head. 

• Like 1

I'm "on" the Bill Nelson & The Gentlemen Rocketeers live DVD/CD from March 2011. A blistering gig. A brilliant combination of a tiny venue and an uber-partisan crowd. I seem to remember that the tickets were eye-wateringly expensive (for 2011), but you did get a glass or two of champagne and a meet-and-greet with the Great Man himself. 

Here's take 2 of "Maid in Heaven."

Edited by rushbo
  • Like 1

I was in the crowd in Finsbury Park in 96 for Filthy Lucre by The Sex Pistols on their reform tour. 

I was also in the Hippodrome Golders Green late 99 for Stiff Little Fingers for one of their live albums, Handheld & Rigidly Digital.

• Like 2

I'm on the bits of Fields Of The Nephilim's "Earth Inferno" from Wolves Civic (and the tracks from there that subsequently turned up on b-sides); and a bootleg from Birmingham a couple of months later which apparently impressed Carl McCoy sufficiently for him to kind-of-endorse it. Also missed being on the same Quo live album as Prince Charles by one day.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

I was in the crowd in Finsbury Park in 96 for Filthy Lucre by The Sex Pistols on their reform tour. 

Snap.

Little Feat - Waiting For Columbus.

Steve Hillage - Live Herald and Rainbow 1977

Janis Ian - Working Without a Net and Unreleased 2: Take No Prisoners

• Like 1

I can be seen on the Whirld Tour video of Transatlantic at the Shepherds Bush Empire while Mike Portnoy does his stage dive. Funny because this was the gig where I fell asleep standing up (qv)

I can be heard on a bootleg of a Peter Gabriel gig from 2003. He's introducing a song saying something like "some folk say you are what what you eat". "EAT WELL" I generously offer, referencing a well-known 1973 Genesis lyric. I'm sure he was overjoyed. He got his own back a few years later, I am in this video clearly embarassed by all that's going on around me

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Cat Burrito said:

I was in the audience for a video that was my first gig. Widely bootlegged now but not an official record.

I was there too! Front row of the balcony :)

This actually had an official EP & CD release as 'Live +1'..... and on video as 'Live +4'

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, cetera said:

I was there too! Front row of the balcony :)

This actually had an official EP & CD release as 'Live +1'..... and on video as 'Live +4'

Yep, that was it... and I think we have had this conversation on an older thread a couple of years ago. I was a couple of rows behind that balcony, centrally slightly to the right. Black jumper and skintight black jeans - I did wave! :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Without wishing to burst any bubbles, the crowd noises are often not from the concert. My old band did a live EP in the early 90s. It got single of the week in RAW magazine and you can hear the crowd genuinely screaming in excitement between our songs. The crowd were actually at a Prince concert!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I think I'm on 'Bob Marley Live', the classic album recorded in July 1975 at London's Lyceum Theatre. I say 'think' as Bob played there two nights on the trot, (17th and 18th) and there has always been some confusion over whether the album is one or the other gigs, or indeed a combination of both! Went with a girlfriend who had got tickets whilst a student in London, and must admit I had little knowledge of a lot of the material apart from Clapton's version of 'I shot the sheriff' (I know, the shame). Needless to say, an amazing performance - still got the album too.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cat Burrito said:

Without wishing to burst any bubbles, the crowd noises are often not from the concert. My old band did a live EP in the early 90s. It got single of the week in RAW magazine and you can hear the crowd genuinely screaming in excitement between our songs. The crowd were actually at a Prince concert!

Prince??!! If you're gonna cheat, cheat big :lol:!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Being young , dumb and  'enthusiastic ' for a better word , I do appear on 2 nwobhm live recordings . Myself and my friend , kept shouting for " if I were king " on the vardis album . They played 100mph instead . 
The other recording is a bit more embarrassing , and a nice roadie let me do the following : At the marquee when iron maiden played 4 oversold out shows, I went to 2 of them . The first and the last one . They were filmed , but not on the gigs I went to . Anyhow , after maiden encored  with "I got the fire " on the final night , the microphone was left on the stage floor . I picked it up . I thought about having it as a souvenir , but I saw roadie come with a smile on his face , and I just shouted " ooh iron maiden " . That is on the sanctuary ep.🥲( can't find embarrassed emoji ) 

Regarding jarre at the dock lands . I went to the rainy Saturday night . 
I met jmj at virgin records with my friend . We were among the last dozen or so before the rest got turned away . I didn't know what to say to him , so I just said " have a nice day '. He saw the funny side and thanked me . 
Again , I can't find embarrassed emoji. 😼

There's probably more , and I may chip in later ..

• Like 3