Why become a member? ×

Recommendations on nice middy pups for a fretless.

Marky L

Wotcha!

I want to change out the pups I have on my bitsa P bass fretless for something that gives me a bit more middle and maybe a little more of the mwah I'm missing. I have Quarterpounders in there at the mo and they're just not right, much too phat and not the right definition, either too toppy or too muddy. EQing hasn't helped. What's a fair low priced option to try? It only really get's a bit of use at home so I'm chucking a bunch of cash at it :)

Thanks
Mark

7 hours ago, Sven said:

Either those or, if lacking in low mids, the good old Bartolinis.
However on a  fretless, the lack of a bridge pickup may also explain the sound missing some mwaaah

I've actually removed Barts from my Pedulla and replaced them with Alembic Activators.  Not that I'm recommending Activators, they're too expensive for what they are but they did get me more mids than the Barts and are fairly flat response.  A set of EMG's could probably achieve the same objective although the classic EMG's have this kind of sterile high end that I'm not fond of for bass.  Maybe that's changed given how many models are offered now.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, shoulderpet said:

SPB-2 will give you a tonne of mids, the tone is love it or hate it though as they are pretty dark sounding

Ok thanks. Maybe I'll try and pick up (pun intended) some 2nd hand ones for a try. I'll have a search for some sound clips first though.

Try the ToneRider, dirt cheap and excellent pickups : https://tonerider.com/product/precision-plus/?v=d3dcf429c679

That said, the typical Jaco tone on a fretless comes from the bridge pickup. A P-Bass won't get you that tone.

The strings and almost no neck relief is important too. No bloody flats on a fretless if you want it to sing (except Thomastik Jazz Flats).

Boost the 800 Hz on your amp, cut the highs and put the basses just a bit above the center click, that will help achieve the mwah.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Marky L said:

Ok thanks. Maybe I'll try and pick up (pun intended) some 2nd hand ones for a try. I'll have a search for some sound clips first though.

This is a good video that compares the SPB-2 to the Emg Geezer, gives a really good indication of its tone

[YouTube]

Edited by shoulderpet
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the help folks. I'll throw some rounds on it and see what occurs. I am quite liking the demo's of the Dimarzio but I'll check out the EMG and Toneriders. 

I totally appreciate that a P won't give me that bit extra in sound but any improvements can only be good. My ears are not that good any more so I can't discriminate many of the subtleties, which I suppose in a round about way is a benefit!

• 1 month later...
On 26/02/2021 at 10:47, hooky_lowdown said:

DiMarzio model P. Will give you want you're looking for. 😎

I went from a Seymour QP to a Dimarzio Model P years and years ago, and immediately I had all the mids I needed. Its how a P should sound, really.

• Like 1

This is the description of the DiMarzio DP122:

Heavy sound with midrange emphasis. Aggressive sound designed to cut through dense tracks and loud situations.”

Edited by ezbass
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Marky L said:

I've put some roundwounds on it and it's OK but not really there. I'm def going to try the DiMarzio when I find a used pair for sale and see what occurs.

I would buy 2 or 3 different sets used and try them and sell on the set that you don't use.

Another option is a series/parallel switch, that should get you some extra mids

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1