Why become a member? ×

Single Cut Fretless 5

Chopthebass

All the way. Super massive thumb rest. I have an extended fingerboard on one of my basses and I often find myself using it is as a lovely thumbrest. And, for me, aesthetically better.

Edited by owen

2 minutes ago, Si600 said:

Go all the way under the bridge to the end? Might need a smidge of a recess for the bridge to sit in.

Like a Marleaux Diva. I thought about that, but I’d need a stonking piece of ebony to do that! I have the bridge and anchors all figured out. Thinking I’ll stick with original plan and take it to the pickup. 

• Like 3

Very nice indeed. The fret board up to the pickup looks like the right choice to me.

I bought a pair of the Delano Xtender pickups a while back that I haven’t used yet. There’s something about them being a different shape that gives a build like this a completely different look. And they’re supposed to sound pretty decent too! Looking forward to seeing this build complete. Will you post some sound files when done?

Cheers

36 minutes ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

Very nice indeed. The fret board up to the pickup looks like the right choice to me.

I bought a pair of the Delano Xtender pickups a while back that I haven’t used yet. There’s something about them being a different shape that gives a build like this a completely different look. And they’re supposed to sound pretty decent too! Looking forward to seeing this build complete. Will you post some sound files when done?

Cheers

Thanks! I can try doing some sound uploads. Need to figure out the best way to record it!

Test fitting the hardware. All good. 
found some nice aluminum knobs that aren’t too big. I do have some Sadowsky knobs but they looked ridiculous because I have so many controls. I have a mini 3-way toggle to add for single coil/parallel/series switching .

E81D8C47-4CBB-411F-9179-4C40F198060F.jpeg

• Like 5

Looks better and better. I think a matching fingerboard or extended rest (like a ramp as you mocked up) with the light/dark striping, as well as the neck heel laminates with a transparent rest would have all looked and played beautifully, this way you can get (with a little contorting) a 36th and higher fret position for some very interesting sounds!

• Like 1

On 10/03/2021 at 20:31, Chopthebass said:

Test fitting the hardware. All good. 
found some nice aluminum knobs that aren’t too big. I do have some Sadowsky knobs but they looked ridiculous because I have so many controls. I have a mini 3-way toggle to add for single coil/parallel/series switching .

E81D8C47-4CBB-411F-9179-4C40F198060F.jpeg

I admit it, running the fretboard all the way was a good choice. And curved against the oval pickup looks superb. 👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I string it up to see how it looked and felt. I’m glad I extended the fingerboard as I think it looks great! I need to lower the nut slots, and level a few ‘frets’ as there is a bit too much mwah in one place. But other than that it really sings acoustically. One you was right in saying it looks like an acoustic! 

8123B95E-21C0-44D5-960B-6DC5D8D5CED6.jpeg

B81F3691-1239-4DDE-8223-8AF953A3D809.jpeg

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, Pea Turgh said:

That looks great!  Had a weird thought; what about a light laminate/detail line going across the fret board following the shape of the back of the bass (upper to lower horn contour)?  Obvs not for this one as it’s almost done!

Cool! I did think about having the end of the fingerboard made from the body top wood, and follow the rear shape where it meets the ebony. 

Edited by Chopthebass
Typo