Why become a member? ×

Anyone recognise this P bass pickup serial number?

Paul S

This is the pickup out of my recently acquired 70s Antoria Precision.  It has an ink stamp on the back of a serial number.  I sent the pic to Jon @Bassassin to see if that made any sense as far as dating it was concerned but he has just come back to me that he doesn't believe it is a MIJ pickup as he doesn't recognise the way it has been stamped or the serial number.

Does it ring any bells with anyone?  Muchas gracias :) 

pupstamp.jpg

On 25/02/2021 at 19:22, Paul S said:

That's quite exciting! :D

I wonder what it is doing in there?

Bit of a long shot, but maybe it was going spare after the early trend of putting in DiMarzio was done. Or it was bought from Roka’s in Denmark St who at one point had a huge surplus of old Fender spares. 🤔

• Thanks 1

On 27/02/2021 at 12:30, Chiliwailer said:

Bit of a long shot, but maybe it was going spare after the early trend of putting in DiMarzio was done.

See, that's what I'd do now: Bung in a nice set of DiMarzio Model Ps for £50 or £60 and stick the '70s Fender unit on Ebay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FENDER-PRECISION-BASS-1974-USED-PICKUPS-11-5-k-EXCELLENT-WORKING-CONDITION-/164632533665

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1977-Precision-Bass-Pickup-1976-Pots-Cup-and-Jack-Complete-Set-/224265520692

Free Antoria, free DiMarzio & enough change for a few pints and a pie.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

What I think I will do is enjoy the bass with these pickups fitted until such time as I decide to move it on and then swap it out for something else and sell the Fender pup.

Possibly.  😄

I've not tried Toneriders but they absolutely read as though they might be a good choice.  Not expensive, either.  How would they compare with, say, Entwistle PBXN which are my current favourites?

Closer to a vintage pickup than the Entwistle and waxed, which is rare enough to be mentioned. To me, the best replacement pickup to get the original tone (back).

If you like the Fender 1975 fitted, you'll love the ToneRider.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hellzero said:

Closer to a vintage pickup than the Entwistle and waxed, which is rare enough to be mentioned. To me, the best replacement pickup to get the original tone (back).

If you like the Fender 1975 fitted, you'll love the ToneRider.

No better recommendation, thank you :hi:  ToneRider it will be.:)

• Like 1

I fitted Tonerider pickups in one of my P’s last summer with a kiogon loom, I went with them because the reviews said they have more of a vintage sound and slightly more lows , and I would say it’s very true, I think it would pair well with TI flats, I’ve got LTF flats and it sounds great, you’re welcome to borrow my P if you want to try it Paul 

• Thanks 1