Why become a member? ×

Newbie advice please - just about to pull the trigger on a bass

KahunaNui

Here's the Krow list...

Some key reasons for playing a 5 string:

• allows you to play a number of songs an octave down, as compared to a 4 string, particularly those in Eb, D and C (I've not come across too many in the key of B);
  • it makes swapping to a different key a whole lot easier; 
  • there are a bunch of fretboard positional benefits from a 5 string and you'll be surprised how often you make use of the notes on the low B string further up the fretboard as well, not just the low Eb and below;
  • avoids needing to get a drop D tuner or retuning the bass mid set;
  • you can spend much less time faffing around looking for the perfect octave-down pedal;
  • the low B string provides a thumb rest and avoids unsightly wear marks next to the neck pup;
  • your band-mates (and of course the audience) won't notice you're playing a 5 string and not a 4 string unless you actually point it out to them. 

Key reasons for not playing a 5 string:

• 4 strings can be slightly cheaper (but usually by no more than the cost of a set of strings);
  • 5 string necks tend to be a little heavier and can result in additional neck dive and the basses also a little heavier overall as a result (but there are plenty of lighter weight 5ers and a decent strap should deal with any difference between a 4 and a 5);
  • 5 string necks are a little wider or string spacing can be a little narrower to compensate;
  • you may be considered to have joined a deviant minority.

12 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Right you have me completely stumped now! 😂

I just had this insane thought like "hang on, I'm looking at 4 string basses, but I play guitar, so why shouldn't I buy a 5 string...hang on, I'll try and get this lot to get me back on track" 

29 minutes ago, KahunaNui said:

I just had this insane thought like "hang on, I'm looking at 4 string basses, but I play guitar, so why shouldn't I buy a 5 string...hang on, I'll try and get this lot to get me back on track" 

Oh I missed the obvious one - I should really have started the list with this!

• you can do everything on a 5 string that you might be able to on a 4 string, but not vice versa.

3 hours ago, Drax said:

Safest bet starting out is just buy the bass you like the look of the most. 

This is definitely a major consideration when starting out. You have to want to pick it up. So it has to feel good, sound good and look right, or it may just end up gathering dust.

Edited by ezbass
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, KahunaNui said:

What's everyone's thoughts on string gauges?  100 to 40 too light?  I play with .008's on ALL my guitars.

Normal ala Ibanez etc. is 45-105 Roundwounds...

If ya an Earnie Ball guy and Extra Slinky (8-38)... you may wish to stay Extra Slinky (40-95) or A Rotosound Guy?... check their sites Nickel or Stainless - and what and why may be the place to start...

I was 9-42 mainly due to a locking trem, but with a wound 16 3rd for more substance and feel, i felt 16 was too thick for a plain bit if wire... 14 maybe.

Whatever ya get will prolly be strung with 45-105 so try them first...

Mark 'Slap' King style lighter 30-90... 40-100 std 45-105 or Steve 'Gallop' Harris Heavier 50-110 (and flats)...

What ya gonna do with it? slap n snap n tap, or finger and pluck 😉 Bend or Bimble along?

Then later on ask about flats... which are often 45-100... and tension...

Edited by PaulThePlug

3 hours ago, KahunaNui said:

Sire M2 in Death Metal Black ordered from Andertons for delivery Monday morning.

Thanks for all the advice, and for tolerating my stupid questions and indecision 🙂

Decision made, good work. Exciting times ahead.

The @KahunaNui household on Monday...

67D8BBCE-3E19-4C47-8D2F-B08C8E9FBBF9.jpeg

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Here's the Krow list...

Some key reasons for playing a 5 string:

• allows you to play a number of songs an octave down, as compared to a 4 string, particularly those in Eb, D and C (I've not come across too many in the key of B);
  • it makes swapping to a different key a whole lot easier; 
  • there are a bunch of fretboard positional benefits from a 5 string and you'll be surprised how often you make use of the notes on the low B string further up the fretboard as well, not just the low Eb and below;
  • avoids needing to get a drop D tuner or retuning the bass mid set;
  • you can spend much less time faffing around looking for the perfect octave-down pedal;
  • the low B string provides a thumb rest and avoids unsightly wear marks next to the neck pup;
  • your band-mates (and of course the audience) won't notice you're playing a 5 string and not a 4 string unless you actually point it out to them. 

Key reasons for not playing a 5 string:

• 4 strings can be slightly cheaper (but usually by no more than the cost of a set of strings);
  • 5 string necks tend to be a little heavier and can result in additional neck dive and the basses also a little heavier overall as a result (but there are plenty of lighter weight 5ers and a decent strap should deal with any difference between a 4 and a 5);
  • 5 string necks are a little wider or string spacing can be a little narrower to compensate;
  • you may be considered to have joined a deviant minority.

And you get somewhere convenient to rest your thumb 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Sorry for the delay folks, but she's here!  I couldn't be happier.  The most playable bass I've owned, and easily the best sounding.  The closest I've had was an Aria Pro with a through neck back in about '84 (might have been an SB1000).

Anyway...

IMG_20210301_155825-01.jpeg

IMG_20210301_093652.jpg

IMG_20210301_093658.jpg

• Like 4