Why become a member? ×

Status bridge adjustment

Dazm66

Hi,

I'm enjoying my Status Series 3000 purchased from one of our own, but before I make some avoidable mistakes, I'm wondering if anyone has any tips about bridge adjustment. It's got an original type status bridge which looks like the saddles just float (in the backwards and forwards plane) until you lock them in place with screws on the side. I'm therefore a bit confused about intonation adjustment - whether to slacken off stings, move saddle slightly, tighten strings/screws and test or is there another way, or have I missed the point completely? Any advice/links to vids/owners manuals etc would be welcome.

When adjusting the intonation, loosen the tiny set screw that locks the saddles in place from the side. Then, adjust carefully by loosening the tension of the string that needs intonation and move that saddle. Be careful not to move the other saddles if they're intonated correctly. Keeping the tension on those strings will help avoiding any unwanted slipping. That's basically all there is to know :)

The old Status bridges were roughly identical to the old Steinberger bridges but with the tuning assembly in a separate tailpiece instead of a one-piece assembly. There's a wealth of information out there on old Steinbergers, you might be able to find more info on those that might be useful.