Why become a member? ×

POD GO or HX Stomp

bassmansam

19 minutes ago, foxyFuze said:

Is this an advice request or 'item wanted'? 

I may be looking to move on my spare HX Stomp seeing as I've been doing a lot of DIY builds recently, so having an extra Stomp for guitar noodling is a bit excessive!

Sorry more advice at the moment. Looking to purchase in the next couple of months. 

Helix LT

Sorry, I should expand on this. 

Both offer great potential, however, both are compromised. The HX Stomp by it's size and connectivity options, and the POD Go by it's lack of some features found on the Helix and limited connectivity.

The big plus point of the POD Go over the Stomp is that you have more footswitch options, as well as the Expression pedal.

Still torn between the POD Go & the Helix LT though. However, I'll have to stick with the trusty POD HD500x.

Edited by Skybone

For me HX stomp is far better for bass players as you only need 3 foot switches if you're sticking to the actual role of a bass player (and you can combine many parameters with 1 footswitch). The pod go has a few blocks that i consider near worthless on bass and unlike the helix you can't swap them out. The HX Stomp is absolutely spectacular though and I use money constantly, normally just for drive and amp sim but also a lot for synth bass and John Davis dubstep bass. 

Edited by Stingray64
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Skybone said:

I know there's the B7K model on the Helix, what other bass-specific OD/Dist/Fuzz models are in there?

By bass-specific, I mean do they have a "Mix" / "Blend" function?

I use the Teemah! For almost all of my dirt needs. One of my favourite things about the helix is that everything works on bass as long as you add a clean path which pretty much all of my patches do. Plus there's loads of options for how you split how you blend back in, and now there's 8 blocks you can use a different eq and comp on each if you wish. 

I'm finding the Stomp to be excellent for the sounds but limited when I think of live use. By that I mean the three footswitches are limiting, unless you want to be bending down and pressing buttons in between most songs. I've already ordered an expression pedal for it and am already considering buying an added two button switch so I have footswitches for: tuner/ mute, preset up and preset down, then the assignable switches for turning on/ off specific effects. It might not be an efficient way of doing things but when doing a function gig and the singer calls songs out that are not in the order on the set list you need to make quick changes and know where everything is. 

15 hours ago, Stingray64 said:

The HX Stomp is absolutely spectacular though and I use money constantly, normally just for drive and amp sim but also a lot for synth bass and John Davis dubstep bass. 

I'd be interested to hear some of your synth sounds or see how you're building them. I've found it better than most multi effects as a starting point but I'm yet to get really use able 80s synth sounds. Currently trying to build my own synth sounds using octave/ fuzz/ chorus and envelope filters. 

7 hours ago, Jus Lukin said:

I was quite surprised that none of the the dirt options have a blend on the HX. A parallel path can be set up which is fine for simple patches, but if you're already doing something fancy with dual signal paths the dirts are limited in that regard.

5 hours ago, Stingray64 said:

I use the Teemah! For almost all of my dirt needs. One of my favourite things about the helix is that everything works on bass as long as you add a clean path which pretty much all of my patches do. Plus there's loads of options for how you split how you blend back in, and now there's 8 blocks you can use a different eq and comp on each if you wish. 

I do the same on the HD500x, set up two paths, one clean, one dirty, and blend them back together.

Just wondered whether they'd figured out that it's a useful thing to have if you're using these devices for bass.

Though the parallel paths are easy to set up.

Edited by Skybone

My chain is stingray - mxr bass octave deluxe - hx stomp( compression - split into sub channel clean out to amp/di - wet channel - fx loop - bass big muff - fredric effects bug crusher - xerograph deluxe with expression pedal - back into hx - noise gate - lfo with 1 expression pedal for rate (and at some point gonna another expression pedal for mix) - a little bit of extra drive from teemah and out to the amp/di. 

Bwoah what a mouthful, and I still want to add a tc spark booster after the fuzz so I can boost before bit crushing without affecting the fuzz. 

I might make a post on here some time soon with my dubstep effects but for now, you can look at my instagram - instagram.com/joegwinnbass

Edited by Stingray64
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Skybone said:

Just wondered whether they'd figured out that it's a useful thing to have if you're using these devices for bass.

Theres also the option of putting a simple eq after the effects to boost bass frequencies back in, without taking up the second path. I heard Roy Mitchel Cardanas say in a JHS video he does that with physical pedals and on the hx you can use the bonus blocks from the new update since it takes up basically no processing power. 

I opted for the Pod Go purely because I think it’s more functional for live use with the more foot switchable options. Sure, the Stomp XL is dropping soon, but is suspect it will be quite a bit more costly then either the units you mention. 

I don’t think the slightly reduced functionality is that much of an issue between the Stomp and Pod, especially for bass and especially live. 

What it ultimately boils down to is do you really need parallel effects routing? If you do get the Stomp, if not, get the Pod. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, jimmy23cricket said:

I opted for the Pod Go purely because I think it’s more functional for live use with the more foot switchable options. Sure, the Stomp XL is dropping soon, but is suspect it will be quite a bit more costly then either the units you mention. 

I don’t think the slightly reduced functionality is that much of an issue between the Stomp and Pod, especially for bass and especially live. 

What it ultimately boils down to is do you really need parallel effects routing? If you do get the Stomp, if not, get the Pod. 

I was under the impression that parallel effects routing was superior when creating patches as a lot of effects can lose the low end. At least that's what I've experienced with most individual pedals. 

1 hour ago, bassmansam said:

I was under the impression that parallel effects routing was superior when creating patches as a lot of effects can lose the low end. At least that's what I've experienced with most individual pedals. 

Most of the bass specific effects have a blend parameter which does the trick. And as @Stingray64 points out above, you can always use the multiple on-board EQ options to boost whatever frequencies you may feel are lacking.

For real world live application, you need to ask yourself are you realistically going to need parallel routing? For me, live, I just don't see it being a requirement and practical usability on the fly is more important a feature.

Where it may come into its own is recording, but then the both units do allow you to record a dry and wet signal on different tracks simultaneously which then you can re-amp/add effects as necessary.