Why become a member? ×

NBD! Spector limited edition content!

Paulhauser

Just got this Spector Euro4 LE1979! 

Although normally I don't play standard tuned 4 string basses much but the only one I had so far got quite a lot of playing time lately. It is another Spector, a Euro4 LE1977. I love that bass, the playability, the sound, the quality so I thought about getting its "sister", the other limited edition that commemorates Spector's early day and the releases of the two groundbreaking models, the NS-1 and the NS-2, originally released in 1977 and 1979 (hence the naming of these LE basses) These two limited editions were made in cca 50 pcs each in the Czech Republic and are somewhat rare birds so I'm happy to have both of them.

Pretty much what you see is what you get, walnut wings, 3 piece maple neck, rosewood board, DiMarzio P and J pickups and Spector's TonePump electronics. It is a light instrument and has a very sleek feel to it, balances perfectly and sounds immense. The quality is excellent as you can expect from Spector. 

Now on to the pictures!

IMG_5178.thumb.JPG.817848a3c85dd25d339c343c0723bf51.JPG 

IMG_5179.thumb.JPG.588048c34ad08b7c90627636d56977cf.JPG

IMG_5181.thumb.JPG.aba97e81ecee86bc3d8a8d348eae891d.JPG

IMG_5180.thumb.JPG.b93b3897445c7b82c9cfbc88bef98cff.JPG

IMG_5175.thumb.JPG.5d825d6704a7f9b5fd7caf6159f8e716.JPG

• Like 22

33 minutes ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

Man, this looks killer. Congrats. I especially love the look of the wood grain. I have the 77 and it is an amazing bass with my fav Spector neck and a take-no-prisoners P pickup. I can only imagine that the 79, with the additional J pickup, is even better. Enjoy 😍 

Well, I'm not expecting it to be better as I really like the distinct sound of the 77, just a dit different due the number and placement of the pickups. Also I think it sounds different to the regular EMG/maple wings Euro4's, too. 

4 minutes ago, Paulhauser said:

Well, I'm not expecting it to be better as I really like the distinct sound of the 77, just a dit different due the number and placement of the pickups. Also I think it sounds different to the regular EMG/maple wings Euro4's, too. 

Yes, you are right. Different, not better. I did not realise that one p pickup is reversed and the other isn't. Thought the 79 would be the 77 plus the extra J which clearly isn't the case. Need new glasses 😎 

6 minutes ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

I did not realise that one p pickup is reversed and the other isn't. Thought the 79 would be the 77 plus the extra J which clearly isn't the case. 

Not only that but on the 77 the P pickup a good inch closer to the bridge so it is in a different position as well. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Paulhauser said:

Not only that but on the 77 the P pickup a good inch closer to the bridge so it is in a different position as well. 

Works really well too, just that bit more bite to the sound.  Also does smooth and groovy really well with some light tweaking of the pre.

1 hour ago, ead said:

Works really well too, just that bit more bite to the sound.  Also does smooth and groovy really well with some light tweaking of the pre.

Yes. Part of that bass's charm that got me is that tone, like a P meets a Stingray sort of sound, or a P with more mids and bite. 

• Like 2

On 25/02/2021 at 19:30, Eldon Tyrell said:

Yeah, I always refer to my 77 as a P bass on steroids!

It took me a long time to begin appreciating the tone of the P bass and my 1977 helped a lot in the process, even if it is not exactly the classic P sound as discussed above. The other thing is the ergonomics, while I hade Fender-like P basses in the past, I vastly prefer the sleek NS-design. The design itself has very little effect (if any, apart from being a neck trough instrument) on the tone but it has a lot on me wanting to play the bass because it is more comfortable for me. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

After setting up I put on Ernie Ball Slinky Cobalts on it, (45-105) and they work great, the bass sounds like thunder. 

The only thing that doesn't fit to my preferences is that the slots in the nut are not deep enough -for me- , so the strings are a bit further away from the 1st fret than my liking but my tech is gonna fix that. It's not a failure, it's just I prefer low and fast 🙂

The neck is a dream to play btw. 

Also, did I mention that it sounds great? 🙂

• Like 2

I agree about the nut slots, they are definitely not deep enough, but I’ve kinda got used to that with my 2, and think I may live with them a little longer as I get used to them. I can’t believe it’s taken me this long to get to Spector. Really happy I bit the bullet, and went down this path. 

2 hours ago, mattbass6 said:

I agree about the nut slots, they are definitely not deep enough, but I’ve kinda got used to that with my 2, and think I may live with them a little longer as I get used to them. I can’t believe it’s taken me this long to get to Spector. Really happy I bit the bullet, and went down this path. 

Yeah, congratulations again, you did the right thing. Sometimes in hindsight one can't really understand why it hadn't happened earlier but at least you are now converted 🙂

The nut slots are not a biggie, more like an observation. They are cut perfectly on my US Spectors and on my other Euros, too, but on these two LEs (1977, 79) they are a bit shallow but I say it is ok, you can always file them deeper, but if they are cut too low filling up is really a "pita".  Normally I do all the setup on my basses expect for nut filing and fret dressing, which I prefer others taking their time with, not me 🙂

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Paulhauser said:

Yeah, congratulations again, you did the right thing. Sometimes in hindsight one can't really understand why it hadn't happened earlier but at least you are now converted 🙂

The nut slots are not a biggie, more like an observation. They are cut perfectly on my US Spectors and on my other Euros, too, but on these two LEs (1977, 79) they are a bit shallow but I say it is ok, you can always file them deeper, but if they are cut too low filling up is really a "pita".  Normally I do all the setup on my basses expect for nut filing and fret dressing, which I prefer others taking their time with, not me 🙂

I’m with you, I do all my setups now except the bigger stuff. I was going to get my tech guy to sort out the nut, as I normally have the a little deeper, but on both basses, they are exactly the same even though they are different materials. They feel great so I’m going with them for now. 

I agree about “sometimes in hindsight one can't really understand why it hadn't happened earlier.......”. I’ve started recording with them and the consistency, sound, fit makes me smile so much. I’ve started looking at the US models already. This time next year, Rodney....... 😉

19 minutes ago, mattbass6 said:

I’m with you, I do all my setups now except the bigger stuff. I was going to get my tech guy to sort out the nut, as I normally have the a little deeper, but on both basses, they are exactly the same even though they are different materials. They feel great so I’m going with them for now. 

I agree about “sometimes in hindsight one can't really understand why it hadn't happened earlier.......”. I’ve started recording with them and the consistency, sound, fit makes me smile so much. I’ve started looking at the US models already. This time next year, Rodney....... 😉

The Euros that the Czech workshop is making in recent years are some of the best basses I have ever laid my hands upon (big name custom shops included)  they really upped their game which is a lot to say as they have been doing fantastic job even before. The red Euro you got is one of the best looking Euro 4 that I have seen for a long time and I know for a fact that it must be sounding great so no wonder you are hooked big time. I understand oh so well. 🙂 And yes, a US one is the next logical step but mind you already have much of the greatness anyway 😉

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Paulhauser said:

The Euros that the Czech workshop is making in recent years are some of the best basses I have ever laid my hands upon (big name custom shops included)  they really upped their game which is a lot to say as they have been doing fantastic job even before. The red Euro you got is one of the best looking Euro 4 that I have seen for a long time and I know for a fact that it must be sounding great so no wonder you are hooked big time. I understand oh so well. 🙂 And yes, a US one is the next logical step but mind you already have much of the greatness anyway 😉

I’ve been very lucky to own some truly beautiful basses in my time, and the adventure never ends, just because it’s fun but these 2 have made me realise a few things as did my Vigier when I got it, hence why I still have it. Both these Spector’s offer something different but without being too far apart, and the Aguilar’s are a revelation. I was worried about the Tone Pump pre, as I heard not very positive feedback but I have to be honest, it is very controllable / versatile. The same can be said fir the OBP-2 pre. Anyway, loving your basses, appreciate the chat , and very nice to meet you here. Cheers, and take care ☺️

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, mattbass6 said:

I’ve been very lucky to own some truly beautiful basses in my time, and the adventure never ends, just because it’s fun but these 2 have made me realise a few things as did my Vigier when I got it, hence why I still have it. Both these Spector’s offer something different but without being too far apart, and the Aguilar’s are a revelation. I was worried about the Tone Pump pre, as I heard not very positive feedback but I have to be honest, it is very controllable / versatile. The same can be said fir the OBP-2 pre. Anyway, loving your basses, appreciate the chat , and very nice to meet you here. Cheers, and take care ☺️

The TP is a great preamp and so is the Aggie obp, though the bass on the latter is somewhat too much even with a small turn of the knob. Anyway, thanks for the compliments and for the chat, take care , enjoy your Spectors and good luck for a US one down the road 🙂

• Like 1