Why become a member? ×

GuitarPro 7.5 - opinions

nilebodgers

I'm thinking of getting GuitarPro so I can try and properly notate the songs I am working on.

I already use Transcribe for slowing the songs down (+tweaking the pitch if not concert) so I can pick out the bassline. I add section markers as I go then I use it for playing along once I have worked it all out. This works well, but I'd like something written down in a better way than crude tab with no rhythms. (I can puzzle my way through notation at a pinch, but I am very, very slow)

Does it sound like GuitarPro would be useful? What is the notation playback like?

I’ve recently started using GP and it seems pretty good. Very guitar/bass-centric, slightly frustrating as a longtime Sibelius user - the way it treats some accidentals is just plain wrong sometimes. However, it’s decent overall. I started using it in the past year as I have a few ukulele students who need tab, and it’s much better at handling that than Sibelius.

I had a free trial for a bit at first - is that still available?

On 24/02/2021 at 23:42, Huw Foster said:

I’ve recently started using GP and it seems pretty good. Very guitar/bass-centric, slightly frustrating as a longtime Sibelius user - the way it treats some accidentals is just plain wrong sometimes. However, it’s decent overall. I started using it in the past year as I have a few ukulele students who need tab, and it’s much better at handling that than Sibelius.

I had a free trial for a bit at first - is that still available?

Yes, there is a free trial. It looks like one of those programs that will take a fair amount of time to evaluate though.

I've been using Guitar Pro for many years now (I couldn't afford Sibelius!), since Guitar Pro 5. Guitar Pro 7.5 has got many improvements although there are a few minor glitches, as mentioned above, especially with incidentals, but that is more prominent when you are writing with tab, as opposed to score. I get frustrated that you can't write Cb, when it is required and when 'B' is plain wrong. There are a few 'over-rides' but not on Cb.

The notation playback is quite reasonable, certainly good enough for home use. There are lots of free Guitar Pro tabs available online, which users have written, and some of them are good showcases for the program with multi-parts for bands that sound very professional. There are a few tricks you have to learn when writing and the copy-and-paste is very useful for quickly writing repetition.

In summary, I find it very useful, for many different applications and the notation playback is more than good enough for home use.

• Like 1

I find it a very useful tool, and what I use for most things like that.

It has a few little hangups, and it takes a bit of time to get round the keyboard (which is easier on a full keyboard than a laptop), but for what it does it is well worth it for me.

• Like 1

Ok, I downloaded the evaluation version and I'm quite impressed. I managed to fumble my way through entering an entire song transcription and got it looking decent. I'll be able to use that I think.

I haven't managed to find a decent bass sound for notation playback though, they are all very "midi" sounding.

16 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I never really found the sounds convincing but it isn't what I use it for so I never found it an issue

It's good enough for me to check I have the rhythms and note duration correct, so that is all I really need.