Why become a member? ×

Infinite Bass 3.5MS COMPLETED

HazBeen

On 13/05/2021 at 21:40, HazBeen said:

99F4848A-082D-413B-BD06-D99F04950422.jpeg

That is looking lovely - beautiful contrasting woods.

Quick technical question with regards to the pickups, what is the layout of the sensing area?  Just wondering as the B string is closer to the edge of the pickup than the G. I couldn't find anything online that showed the layout and I'm curious as these pickups look interesting as an alternative to other soapbars.

Cheers

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

That is looking lovely - beautiful contrasting woods.

Quick technical question with regards to the pickups, what is the layout of the sensing area?  Just wondering as the B string is closer to the edge of the pickup than the G. I couldn't find anything online that showed the layout and I'm curious as these pickups look interesting as an alternative to other soapbars.

Cheers

Hi, from a design perspective it looked better for the pickups to align with the flared heel, so they are off-centered ever so slightly, well spotted!

The picture angle makes it look as if the B is a little further towards the edge than it actually is. I could not find too much on the net on the sensing area, but if you look at the Spector Dimension 5, it is also pretty close. Roughly the same as I have it and I had seen examples where it is even closer to the edge (especially on 7/8 string guitars with Fluence pickups, they have the same design as the bass ones).

I did a quick test (screwdriver tapping) and the sensing area appears to run to a few mm from the edge, but it is a bit of a gamble if honest.

Should be okay, worst case I will be creating some wooden pickup surrounds ....

I will let you know!

2E58BE8F-BCE0-41AA-8C7A-A9D400690BE8.jpeg

Edited by HazBeen
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, HazBeen said:

Hi, from a design perspective it looked better for the pickups to align with the flared heel, so they are off-centered ever so slightly, well spotted!

The picture angle makes it look as if the B is a little further towards the edge than it actually is. I could not find too much on the net on the sensing area, but if you look at the Spector Dimension 5, it is also pretty close. Roughly the same as I have it and I had seen examples where it is even closer to the edge (especially on 7/8 string guitars with Fluence pickups, they have the same design as the bass ones).

I did a quick test (screwdriver tapping) and the sensing area appears to run to a few mm from the edge, but it is a bit of a gamble if honest.

Should be okay, worst case I will be creating some wooden pickup surrounds ....

I will let you know!

I looked on the web too but couldn't find anything either. I was looking for something like this that you get for EMG pickups - I guess the Fishman ones won't be too far different.

Look forward to seeing this bass complete. Cheers

image.png.85c92c72a38141d4453c0ff37ecc4536.png

2 hours ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

I looked on the web too but couldn't find anything either. I was looking for something like this that you get for EMG pickups - I guess the Fishman ones won't be too far different.

Look forward to seeing this bass complete. Cheers

image.png.85c92c72a38141d4453c0ff37ecc4536.png

Fluence pickups are very different apparently, the similarity ends on the exterior. And they certainly extend beyond EMGs, my screwdriver test made that very apparent. You see a lot of guitars where they are really close to the rounding, which would not work with EMGs.

Anyway, we will know soon enough. 6 layers of oil on the body, 4 on the neck. Just 1 more coat tomorrow (but lemon oil) and then dry overnight and I will start putting things together.

Whilst I knowingly took a risk for the sake of the “design”, and I have a solid “what if” I’d hate to have to make covers or surrounds on this one, I really like it as it is now.

So pics like this are what I am relying on...

ECE909EB-A8B4-44B1-BB67-7567F982711C.jpeg

3B90175E-756B-4B1F-9AD9-CD7C4F4B312F.jpeg

17346992-11EE-4084-9A1E-A0D2B1AE0385.jpeg

• Like 1

Been putting things together..... just the wiring to do and then we are pretty much sorted. Expect to post pics of the finished bass tonight, I got lucky and pretty much have perfect action everywhere, just need to raise the E string a little and we should be golden.

It is looking mega!

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, HazBeen said:

Been putting things together..... just the wiring to do and then we are pretty much sorted. Expect to post pics of the finished bass tonight, I got lucky and pretty much have perfect action everywhere, just need to raise the E string a little and we should be golden.

It is looking mega!

Can't wait to see it! From the pics so far it looks pretty special already.

Wow, that took much more time than expected 😂.

Lots and lots of wires to solder.... anyway, all done now. Clearly I will shoot some daylight pics soon and so a quick recording.

The thing sounds monstrous through my headphone amp, so bodes well!

Will tidy up strings when fully intonated.

28BB1B80-4631-4B14-928A-3891757F025D.jpeg

7A80E7CC-3330-4B8F-9A96-A7CD212DE897.jpeg

1271B972-0AF0-42FF-BB06-B7700728ACF3.jpeg

29152393-99D2-4AF6-BEDC-9720BBE8C315.jpeg

0F47AF39-2E69-4C57-BC2E-B7A8941199AE.jpeg

• Like 10

22 hours ago, Hellzero said:

There's some bass appeal in this design, Harry. Congratulations, it looks even more beautiful now that it's finished.

Waiting for the soundclips now. 😉

I used it for band practice yesterday, it is a “heavy” sounding bass. A lof of natural girth and compression. Maybe the wood combo, maybe the Fishmans.

Great pickups, although even the “classic” voicing is quite modern. I like them (I like EMGs too), but they may not be everyone’s cuppa.

I am going  to hold off on recording for a few weeks, so it can break in a little but it will come!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1