Why become a member? ×

Infinite Bass 3.5MS COMPLETED

HazBeen

As I have just ordered a bunch of stuff for my next build, just thought I would wet your appetite a little. This one will likely take me 4-5 months to complete, so bear with me.

• Modern design, 5 string multi-scale 35-33”
  • Ash body
  • Black Walnut top
  • Maple/Wenge neck
  • Ovangkol fretboard
  • Black hardware
  • Schaller Tuners 3+2
  • Hipshot Triple Lock single saddle bridge
  • Fishman Fluence pickups and preamp
  • 18mm string spacing
  • Nut width 45mm
  • 5 bolt bolt-on neck
  • Not yet sure if I am going for an angled or scooped headstock

Edited by HazBeen
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Chopthebass said:

Are you going to have the body chambered? The weight of ash can vary hugely. I heard that preamp/pup combination on a Schecter SLS Elite 5 and it is extremely flexible. 

My goal is to stay under 4 kg/9lbs, with Ash you can never really know what you are getting (although I asked for light ash...). I will most definitely chamber if I need to, but the body will also be relatively compact so between the chambering and compact size we should be good.

I am going an Youtube with the pups, but everyone seems really positive about them and they seem to tick every box for me.

19 hours ago, HazBeen said:

My goal is to stay under 4 kg/9lbs, with Ash you can never really know what you are getting (although I asked for light ash...). I will most definitely chamber if I need to, but the body will also be relatively compact so between the chambering and compact size we should be good.

I am going an Youtube with the pups, but everyone seems really positive about them and they seem to tick every box for me.

Good plan. Is the preamp the same as the Schecter with the 3-position switch funk/classic/modern?

In case you are interested. Body shape I am happy with and will keep as is.

Neck dimensions, same.

Headstock and tuner positions, still under review.

I am going to be a bit creative on the bolt-on approach. My mini bass gave me an idea (which as later turned out I appear to have nicked off Claas guitars).

Where the neck meets the body, I will extend the width of the neck by 2 cm. That enable me to bolt the body to the extended neck part, which in turn means I will have pretty much full access to the entire back of the neck up to the 24th fret both top and bottom strings.

Edited by HazBeen

Been playing around with the head stock and the “neck flare”. Think this will be roughly what I al going for.

You can see the wider part of the neck starts around fret 14. The lighter line shows the body shape under the neck. You can see how I have really good access way up the register this way.

I also makes sense to (I did later, see final pics) to let the neck heel follow the slant of the pickups. Getting quite excited about this build. Will make a start on it, in a week or so.

55018DE5-D326-4B16-B4AE-4EB6F2E88979.jpeg

968AC1D4-267C-4D81-A9DF-0A6CAA23B027.jpeg

93E66A6E-D082-47D9-9643-79CF8B8B6592.jpeg

87B9209C-5C36-4547-850D-5930C555F475.jpeg

B3256CD1-5EE5-4CBD-8CEB-FD34040F8181.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm, whilst not spent much time on it, using the upper horn shape as the basis for the “headstock” makes sense. Example attached.

I cannot use the Nova string clamp due to the fanned fret, so I am looking to get some single string string locks a la ABM7011. Open to suggestions/alternatives if anyone has any.

A48398BE-9390-4842-8D01-2D76E40DD1FC.jpeg

10 hours ago, HazBeen said:

I cannot use the Nova string clamp due to the fanned fret, so I am looking to get some single string string locks a la ABM7011. Open to suggestions/alternatives if anyone has any.

Hmmm...not sure I understand that.  The fanned frets don't affect the string spacing and so, as long as the Nova clamp is square to the strings rather than to the zero fret/nut (like on the string retainer on your original drawing below), then it should work fine...

On 08/03/2021 at 22:07, HazBeen said:

93E66A6E-D082-47D9-9643-79CF8B8B6592.jpeg

Incidentally, we did something similar on @TheGreek 's Psilos bass - just because it has a headless tuner system doesn't mean that it needs to be headless :)

cW5O24Tl.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Hmmm...not sure I understand that.  The fanned frets don't affect the string spacing and so, as long as the Nova clamp is square to the strings rather than to the zero fret/nut (like on the string retainer on your original drawing below), then it should work fine...

Incidentally, we did something similar on @TheGreek 's Psilos bass - just because it has a headless tuner system doesn't mean that it needs to be headless :)

cW5O24Tl.jpg

More an esthetics thing than technical to be hones. I just dont like a square line (clamp) against the diagonal nut/zerofret. Going single string clamps means I can follow the diagonal. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, HazBeen said:

More an esthetics thing than technical to be hones. I just dont like a square line (clamp) against the diagonal nut/zerofret. Going single string clamps means I can follow the diagonal. 

Ah - OK.  Mind you, you could always inset an ebony triangle...

Anyway - it's going to look fab whatever :)

14 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Ah - OK.  Mind you, you could always inset an ebony triangle...

Anyway - it's going to look fab whatever :)

There certainly are ways, I thought about routing the strings through headstock “in diagonal ferrules”, and then clamping straight on the underside or I could indeed do an inset, but I had something specific in mind and chose to follow that vision (ie single string clamps) :) 

• Like 1

Bridge is being set to me today ... yeah :) and ABM is making me the black single string clamps to order and they will ship Wednesday/Thursday next week.

So, this weekend I want to make a start and finally create some saw dust. Rough cut and glue up the body, and also glue up a neck blank.... leaning toward 3 ply Maple, quarter sawn Wenge, Maple (my go to) or maybe do a 5 ply Maple, Wenge, Maple, quarter sawn Wenge, Maple or even a Maple, Wenge, Wenge quarter sawn, Wenge, Maple option... but maybe all the wenge in a 5 ply is a bit dark (given the dark walnut cap on the body and black hardware.

Edited by HazBeen