Why become a member? ×

Album cover purchase?

odysseus

20 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

Not a purchase but as a pre-teen I nicked a series of these off my older brother before I graduated to Health & Efficiency magazine

image.jpeg.c6699d623c89e1d72ddfcb26024a8e08.jpegDigital downloads - TOP OF THE POPS LPs

Apart from the covers those albums were always a massive disappointment, as the songs were re-recordings by some utterly naff sesssion band  :(  (so as not to pay royalties, I assume)

3 hours ago, cetera said:

The gatefold of KISS "Alive II" had an everlasting effect on me. I'd heard their "Unmasked" album when I was in Australia in 1982 and when I came back to the UK I discovered THIS.... 😲 😲 😲

KISS_ALIVE_II_2LP_3.jpg

Along with the Scorpions Worldwide Live and Maiden’s Live After Death, Kiss Alive ll was the album that made me want to play bass. I heard and saw all three albums around the same time thanks to my older brother getting them from the local record library. The feeling has never left me! 

• Like 2

First Motorhead album. It was 1978, I was a 16 year old Stranglers fan & I'd never heard of them, but I saw this in my local record shop & had to have it.

image.thumb.png.94139bebbe7b867207edf4a73f88eaa7.png

To be honest the sleeve was (still is) so awesome I wouldn't have cared if it was crap. Bit of a bonus that the actual music was life-defining!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Rich said:

A schoolmate of mine was an obsessed metalhead, always on the lookout for something new as long as it was heavier than lead. He bought this Molly Hatchet album unheard, based entirely on the look of the sleeve, somehow convinced it was going to make Motorhead sound like Peters & Lee. Imagine his disappointment when it turned out to be Southern not-remotely-metal boogie rock. Oh, how the rest of us laughed. A lot.

Molly Hatchet - Flirtin' with Disaster.jpg

Indeed.  Still, he got a good 'un with FwD at least.

A

4 hours ago, Shaggy said:

Apart from the covers those albums were always a massive disappointment, as the songs were re-recordings by some utterly naff sesssion band  :(  (so as not to pay royalties, I assume)

When my brother didn't want them back he said I could keep them but I actually threw away the vinyl and kept the covers to put on my wall 😊

1 hour ago, Bassassin said:

First Motorhead album. It was 1978, I was a 16 year old Stranglers fan & I'd never heard of them, but I saw this in my local record shop & had to have it.

image.thumb.png.94139bebbe7b867207edf4a73f88eaa7.png

To be honest the sleeve was (still is) so awesome I wouldn't have cared if it was crap. Bit of a bonus that the actual music was life-defining!

I got a Motörhead compilation that looks like this having heard Metallica’s ham-fisted cover versions of 4 classic ‘head tracks.

I was not disappointed.

I was browsing one weds afternoon in our price Tottenham Court Road and found timewind . As soon as I played it, I realised it to be an ambient classic.Great gatefold sleeve . 

That was mid '80s 

As for obituary , I saw that  in the new release section of virgin records one Friday afternoon . I Love it . ! 😼
The album cover is more blue in the flesh ..

41823565-5586-436D-9A82-9244517A96CF.jpeg

88827182-1B3F-4468-9453-E840A9056F0C.jpeg

Edited by RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE
  • Like 1

I bought a couple of Vicky Leandros albums in a junk shop in Berlin a couple of years ago. I’ve never played any of them, obviously, in case I like them and then have to buy all her records. 
The sleeve is one of those old school laminated affairs which is great because it stops the ink from rubbing off on my face.

47A49EA7-4A68-454E-8E0D-9CFC020D33FF.jpeg.1df9af7560dd80bd0259e2f48f5f5988.jpeg

That jumper though. If I could get my bass refinished in them stripes I would do it :)

• Haha 4

We had a record library in our school, a venture run single-handedly by Mr Murphy, and I never got to thank him enough. For the princely sum of 5p, you could have a week with the album of your choice, and it didn't half open my eyes...the Kiss albums I gravitated to first (the cover of Alive II was the biggie), but I played it and went 'This doesn't sound like it looks', and then I saw this:

image.png.d105f58d964352139de8ef3f1a1c769d.png

And that DID sound like it looked... 🙂

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Shaggy said:

A lot of them included Elton John in the band playing the songs.

It was to get around the licensing requirements and the fact that some record labels and artists (where they had enough control over how their music was used) didn't want their recordings appearing elsewhere - remember these were in the days when the record was the product. The producers of these albums would still have to pay the MCPS fees in the same way that a band putting a cover version on their album would, but these would have been a fraction of the costs of licensing the recordings by the original artists. It wasn't until first of all Arcade and K-Tel started doing compilations with the original recordings and then in the 80s the "Now" series - although those were very much biased towards artists that were signed to EMI (IIRC) who produced the Now albums.

• Like 2

Another band i had forgotten about from 70's and another Canadian band plus i know the keys player who is from same town as myself and we have shared a beer or 5. This was one i saw in a shop and was curious. Mate didn't join the band until their 3 rd album and i only met him just after he joined. We still keep in touch occasionally thru FB as he lives in Canada these days. Probably more a drinking buddy than a mate 😂

Image result for saga albums. Size: 145 x 160. Source: en.wikipedia.org