Why become a member? ×

The long way back to bass...

jazzburger

I'll try not to treat this as a counselling session - honest. I lived in London in the 80's and I bought an Aria Pro II RSB Deluxe bass (candy apple red with gold hardware) and little Ohm practice amp. I started out the wrong way - I wanted to slap 24/7 and be Mark King.
I only had a few bass lessons but I wasn't focussed enough to practice properly or even figure out what I wanted to do on bass. I rehearsed with a couple of soul bands and a rock band but gigged very little.  A Trace Elliot head (yes, I really wanted to be Mark King) came and went as did the loaned speakers, the fretless twin to the fretted Aria and a Precision copy that a mate 'just gave me'.

I moved back to Manchester and rehearsed a lot with some very talented blues and rock players but, again, very little gigging.  The Aria sat in its bag for ages.  Just recently, I recalled a time in London when I often visited a mate who had a Fender Mustang bass which I could not put down whenever I was round there.

With that memory in mind, I just ordered a short-scale Ibanez bass which looks like I always wanted a bass to look and has the short scale that I hope will let me play all the stuff I used to play but, more importantly, let me learn some proper technique without hurting my old hands.  I'm 62 - will I go out gigging?  Probably not.  Will I record something?  Likely.  Will I enjoy having a bass back in my hands?  I am hopeful.

Nice to meet you.

• Like 4

Welcome back to the world of bass.  I too started playing in the 80's - in Cardiff though, not London - the Manics weren't even well known outside of South Wales back then! :o  I always liked the look of Aria basses, I must say. Had a Fender P and a Shaftesbury Rick copy.... then a Westone Thunder Jet.

Back then, everybody I knew, either wanted to be Mark King, Steve Harris, or JJ Burnel - so don't worry about wanting to play slap all the time.... apart from mates into Punk, Rock & Heavy Metal - a lot of folk did... even some of the Punk, Rock & Metal bassists ;) 

It's a shame you never got to gig much. Personally, I really enjoy it, and with several different genres of band, I play very different locations & venues, to very differing crowds (sometimes only a handful of people at a folk gig - but if one person comes up at the end and says they enjoyed it.... that's fine). That all said, I probably didn't gig frequently enough in my youth. I had an absence from playing of about 25 years - so you're never too old to start gigging :) - maybe just try an open mic night, with pals?

Re your mates Mustang bass - maybe short scales are for you? Or maybe it was just set-up "right" and was one of those basses that just sat right in your hands? I always prefer to play a bass before buying - so It's a shame that we can't get out & about to guitar shops, and to try each others basses in the For Sale section here.... but there are worse things about Covid, of course :( 

Hope you enjoy the Short Scale Ibanez - play it as much as time allows, and enjoy. Welcome to BC, and again, welcome back to bass playing

"Hwyl Fawr" from South Wales

Edited by Marc S
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Marc S said:

Hope you enjoy the Short Scale Ibanez - play it as much as time allows, and enjoy. Welcome to BC, and again, welcome back to bass playing

Thank you Marc. I definitely take the point about 'try before you buy' and I've read things about noisy bridge pickup and scratchy controls and suchlike. I've taken the plunge now and as long as the courier doesn't wreck my new toy, March could be an interesting month...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 24/02/2021 at 14:05, Marc S said:

I always prefer to play a bass before buying - so It's a shame that we can't get out & about to guitar shops, and to try each others basses in the For Sale section here.... but there are worse things about Covid, of course :( 

This.

I had to take a leap of faith when I bought my Jackson online last year - I got lucky and I could tell it had been the right move as soon as I got it in my hands for the first time. I got it from Andertons in Guildford because I wasn't going to let those corporate bar stewards at PMT (unfortunate name, that) have my money.  But yeah ..

Welcome to you, Mr Jazz. 👍

54 minutes ago, MHMSWC#03 said:

I got it from Andertons in Guildford because I wasn't going to let those corporate bar stewards at PMT (unfortunate name, that) have my money.  But yeah ..

Oh dear, my order is with PMT. So far I'm not impressed. I've been waiting a month and I had to ask twice for a price match. Thanks for the welcome - and the warning.

Edited by jazzburger

4 minutes ago, MHMSWC#03 said:

Which store? I have a mate who works at the Birmingham branch.

It would have been Manchester, but they don't have the bass in stock so I had to order centrally. Pain because Thomann now has it cheaper and available now. Poo.