Why become a member? ×

bass prices, are some worth it?

funkgod

17 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

Shame you are not down the road from me my good man, or you could try my old shape Sandberg Marlowe DK - i reckon it would be right up your street and more affordable to boot!

I do like the Marlowe DK , but a 65 original jazz just does things to me 😁

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

I was wondering whether you work for one of the big instrument manufacturers there.

Absolutely not. So many Chinese factories try to build as quickly as possible with inexperienced labour.  The more successful ones develop a Linda Evangelista attitude where they won't do anything unless there's a minimum order. 

Sire pulled their factory out of China and went to Indonesia because the quality was more consistent.  High enough standards couldn't be maintained by their Chinese workforce. 

I had a three hundred quid piece of crap in the spare room wardrobe which is testament to this. 

30 minutes ago, Count Bassy said:

And the problem with that is??

Personally I would rate a CNC produced part over hand made any day. More accurate, more repeatable, and cheaper (provided the manufacturer has a CNC machine in the first place). No downside at all.

The cost of the instrument can't be justified by the time it takes to make it.  

14 hours ago, Kiwi said:

The cost of the instrument can't be justified by the time it takes to make it.  

That might be the case if we bought at the factory gate, but we don't (and in most cases can't). There are shippers', wholesalers' and retailers' mark-ups to add to the equation, in addition to various taxes, import duties, etc, etc.

As far as the term "justified" goes, there is no ultimate arbiter governing the cost of instruments or anything else. Prices of just about everything are dictated by what the market will stand/is prepared to pay. If I ever sell my vintage J bass (my daughter will probably be the one to do so after I croak), I shall get as much as I can for it. That will be whatever a willing buyer is prepared to pay. If someone falls in love with it and wants to throw a ton of cash at me, I shan't turn them down. It's the way the world works.

When you sell something, are you prepared to accept a price that is "justified", or do you want to get as much as you can for it?

8 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

That might be the case if we bought at the factory gate, but we don't (and in most cases can't). There are shippers', wholesalers' and retailers' mark-ups to add to the equation, in addition to various taxes, import duties, etc, etc.

As far as the term "justified" goes, there is no ultimate arbiter governing the cost of instruments or anything else. Prices of just about everything are dictated by what the market will stand/is prepared to pay. If I ever sell my vintage J bass (my daughter will probably be the one to do so after I croak), I shall get as much as I can for it. That will be whatever a willing buyer is prepared to pay. If someone falls in love with it and wants to throw a ton of cash at me, I shan't turn them down. It's the way the world works.

When you sell something, are you prepared to accept a price that is "justified", or do you want to get as much as you can for it?

I think we're talking in different contexts

2 minutes ago, Kiwi said:

I think we're talking in different contexts

How? If you are selling something, new or old, you want to get as much as you can for it. The price of everything is dictated by supply/availability, demand and whatever people are willing to pay. That willingness is governed by quality (real or perceived), desirability, value (again real or perceived), fitness for purpose, fashion and so on.

20 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Some folks have a different 'mind-set'. I'm one of 'em; there are others. :friends:

Got any nice instruments you're willing to let me have for well under market price? 😁

P.S. I promise not to flip them...

Edited by Dan Dare

8 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

Got any nice instruments you're willing to let me have for well under market price? 😁

P.S. I promise not to flip them...

I have many anecdotes and stories concerning my 'commercial' dealings, both as acquirer and supplier. You may be surprised at some of them. My Ford Granada Estate, for instance (a very long story...), the Peugeot 403 ex-Gendarmerie ambulance, or the Peugeot 404 Estate that supplied its engine..? I've had several amps and guitars/basses pass through my hands; in not one transaction did the notion of 'market' come into it. As a free-lance ASM programmer, the 'pipeline' product we came up with was distributed freely, as a 'calling card'. The hours spent teaching, repairing, advising on computer subjects, over some decades..? Our band plays for big smiles; we don't want to be 'paid'. A different 'mind-set', I tell thee. B|