Why become a member? ×

Your most listened-to live album?

odysseus

So much to list, so little time... but my most listened-to live album would have to be:

• Joni Mitchell - Shadows and Light

closely followed by:

• Little Feat - Waiting For Columbus
  • Genesis - Seconds Out
  • Yes - Yessongs
  • Weather Report - 8:30
  • Zappa - Live in New York (and Roxy & Elsewhere)
  • Allman Bros - Live at the Fillmore
  • CSN&Y - 4 Way Street
  • Landmarq - Turbulence (Live in Poland)
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Steve Browning said:

It said live albums. Spoken as a Queen fan.

I didn’t used to mind Queen....

Sky Arts has changed all that...Lemmy  might have said “Overkill !” and rightly so!

Since Christmas they’ve been on a continuous loop ...if it’s not a gig it’s a documentary?

think I saw one the other day Barry Bucknall and Queen?

“It’s Alive” by The Ramones. Wore it out on vinyl when I was 12-13. Brilliant album.

BEC7F399-B1B5-4BA4-8E4D-41206F3AD8DE.jpeg.83674a90a30bba668ad35bec8f750e1b.jpeg

I’d love to do a cover of the whole album with my band, The Ramens, and call it “It’s Arrive”. It would be a daft way to have a laugh at my Chinese-Malaysian heritage but although I defo love doing daft stuff any old time, I reckon by the time lockdown is over and we can book our gig at the Rainbow, I probably won’t be ahrrrsed any more. Besides, nobody would be interested in a Ramones tribute band doing takeaway food themed covers I don’t think... 🤔 

Two absolute favourites from school days. I haven't seen listed so far:

Bryn Haworth- Live!

Twelfth Night - Live and Let Live.

And then of course the obvious candidates such as Live at Leeds, Yessongs, Three Sides Live, ...

Edited by Richard R
Being accurate, I didn't come across Bryn Haworth until university, but that and school were both a long time ago.

55 minutes ago, meterman said:

Did XTC ever do a live album? 

Nope.
I can't remember when they stopped playing live (Andy's famous live nerves are said to have been instrumental in this), but have a feeling it was quite early.

However, Windsong released some live material.
I haven't heard those, so can't comment, but the live stuff I have heard was nothing to be ashamed of at all.
There's also live footage on YouTube.

Edit: I believe the box set Coat of Many Cupboards has some live stuff.

Edited by BassTractor
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, BassTractor said:

Nope.
I can't remember when they stopped playing live (Andy's famous live nerves are said to have been instrumental in this), but have a feeling it was quite early.

However, Windsong released some live material.
I haven't heard those, so can't comment, but the live stuff I have heard was nothing to be ashamed of at all.
There's also live footage on YouTube.

Edit: I believe the box set Coat of Many Cupboards has some live stuff.

Time to go down the XTC YouTube rabbit hole, thank you 👍

• Like 1

Queen - Live At Wembley ‘86

Tape, “off the board” recordings, CD, VHS, DVD, Anniversary DVD... 

From a teenager and onwards this album has quite literally been my bible. I have learned so much about my music craft from watching this concert. Song writing, stage craft, making recorded songs work on stage etc etc, it’s all there.

Right now, Devin Townsend is getting a good spin on my BluRay as is Gojira.

3 hours ago, Richard R said:

Two absolute favourites from school days. I haven't seen listed so far:

Bryn Haworth- Live!

Twelfth Night - Live and Let Live.

And then of course the obvious candidates such as Live at Leeds, Yessongs, Three Sides Live, ...

Now there’s a niche choice! Fab album by a fab guitar player, though. I could listen to him play slide for days! And Bryn’s a lovely guy too. Had the pleasure of backing him a few times when he’s guested at our church.

I do like a live album, since having kids I watch a lot of live sets on YouTube too rather than going to as many gigs as I'd like - set me up quite well for COVID, lol

The live album I've listened to the most is probably Cave In - Live At Roadburn when they did their acoustic Caleb Scofield tribute. Others I listen to a lot are Iron Maiden - Rock In Rio, Capdown - Live in M.K. Converge - Thoudands Of Miles Between Us and AFI - I Heard A Voice

7 hours ago, TrevorR said:

Now there’s a niche choice! Fab album by a fab guitar player, though. I could listen to him play slide for days! And Bryn’s a lovely guy too. Had the pleasure of backing him a few times when he’s guested at our church.

Oh, now I am envious!  I saw him at the library theatre in Solihull on the tour for Slide Don't Fret. Great player.

• Like 1

Also, just remembered Old Man Gloom - Mickey Rookey Live In London and Cave In - Live At Club Soda

The Cave In is great as it's where they supported ISIS on their last ever show and it's the only recording I have of the song Inflatable Dream

Edited by Graham

14 hours ago, meterman said:

. Besides, nobody would be interested in a Ramones tribute band doing takeaway food themed covers I don’t think... 🤔 

Well, if you haven't already checked them out, have a listen to The Hanson Brothers (NOT Hanson) - No Means No playing Ice Hockey themed songs (The Hanson Brothers are from the film Slap Shot) in the Ramones style.  Brilliant stuff, and they made a couple of albums doing it

Here's a cover of the theme from Slap Shot

• Like 1