Why become a member? ×

Your most listened-to live album?

odysseus

Hmmm. I don't think I have listened to a full album since the dawn of Spotify, to be honest. I just tend to find a suitable playlist and start random shuffle..

With that in mind, I will have to wind back to the 80's and early 90's to find the live album I listened to the most. And, I believe the answer is "dIRE sTRAITS, aLCHEMY". I still enjoy this music when I hear it, and the playfullness of a live performance gives it a little extra, I think.

15 hours ago, SH73 said:

+1, still have the tapes, the second copy. Also used to listen to it on LP and still listen to the CD.

The double LP gatefold sleeve of Maiden's Live After Death with all the live pictures, technical spec and gear info kept me enthralled. The VHS and DVD versions of the gig are fantastic too.

Edited by bassbiscuits
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, bassbiscuits said:

The double LP gatefold sleeve of Maiden's Live After Death with all the live pictures, technical spec and gear info kept me enthralled. The VHS and DVD versions of the gig are fantastic too.

I used that booklet to write an essay about the band for school project when I was 13 or 14. I got an A :D

It was also the start of me lusting after a Blue Sparkle Precision...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bartelby said:

I used that booklet to write an essay about the band for school project when I was 13 or 14. I got an A :D

It was also the start of me lusting after a Blue Sparkle Precision...

Absolutely - same here re the blue P. He's the reason I wanted to play a P bass, though I've still never had a blue one.

• Like 1

KISS - Alive! & Alive II.... by far!

then....
Thin Lizzy - Live & Dangerous
Iron Maiden - Live After Death
Styx - Return To Paradise
Journey - Captured
Rush - Exit Stage Left
Doobie Brothers - Rockin' Down The Highway
Chicago - Live In japan

Edited by cetera
  • Like 1

My very wide range of listening tastes:

The Jam - Dig the new breed
Bauhaus - Press the eject and give me the tape
Dire Straits - Alchemy Live
Pink Floyd - Pulse
Caro Emerald - Live in Birmingham (when attending you could buy the programme with a download code for the gig)
Runrig - Transmitting Live (but probably been overtaken by the Last Dance recently)
Barenaked Ladies - Rock Spectacle
Green Day - Bullet In A Bible

My most listened to live albums by a long way are:

"Pictures At An Exhibition" by ELP and
"In Flight" by Alvin Lee

Both bought in the days when I didn't have a lot of money to spend on records so factors such as being cheap or a double album in a gatefold sleeve played a big part in my choice of what to buy that month, and because when I first got them I didn't have very many albums they got played A LOT.

Since everything got put on my computer, according to my iTunes stats my most listened to live album is "Show And Tell" by The Birthday Massacre.

I know we're only supposed to choose 1 but that's too difficult.  My the first ones that jump to mind are

Cream - Live Vol II
Peter Gabriel - Plays Live
Stranglers - X Cert
Deep Purple - Made In Japan
King Crimson - USA
Led Zeppelin - Song Remains The Same
Jethro Tull - Bursting Out

4 hours ago, Steve Browning said:

A few already mentioned;

Strangers In The Night - UFO

Rockin The Fillmore - Humble Pie

If You Want Blood - AC/DC

Stupidity - Dr Feelgood

Live - Sensational Alex Harvey Band

Live In Europe - Rory Gallagher

Live In The Air Age - Be Bop Deluxe

Strangers in the Night is such a great album, so many people who (allegedly) do not like 70s/80s rock still love it

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

All Those Wasted Years - Hanoi Rocks, in 1986 I think I must have played that tape - yes tape - every day, or at least near it. I now have it on CD and it just takes me back to the happiest time of my life listening to it.

I've got Two Steps from the Move, which has the 8 extra live tracks. Still awesome 😎. The live version of Mental Beat, is still one of my favourite songs.

Otherwise:

It Bites - Thank You and Goodnight.  

• Like 2

I like a live album in the car, especially in the car so mine would be;

Love You Live - Rolling Stones (preferred it the others, even Ya-Yas personally)

All Those Wasted Years - Hanoi Rocks (I spent most of my youth watching the VHS of it but now have it on LP).

Live at the Lyceum - Johnny Thunders & the Heartbreakers

Press The Eject And Give Me The Tape  - Bauhaus

Concert - The Cure

One of the bands I play for put out a live album last year. I must admit I have only played it once since the mixing stage. Pleased to have done it though. Another one off of the bucket list.

When I were a lad, I could never get to see enough live bands so live albums were pure heaven for me, so:-

Slade - Slade Alive

Yes - Yessongs

Curved Air Live

Genesis - Seconds Out

These 5 pretty much defined my youth, and I still listen to all of then regularly today, I love the energy they put out over relevant studio albums.

Moving on from my all time fave, All Those Wasted Years by Hanoi Rocks, others I like are:

Filthy Lucre - Sex Pistols (in 1996 reform tour at Finsbury Park)

Dig The New Breed - The Jam

Live at River Plate - AC/DC

Live in Yugoslavia - Anti Nowhere League 

Lets Boogie - Volbeat 

There's really only one live album that I listen to regularly

Beatsteaks - Kanon Auf Spatzen 

The band at their absolute best

Beyond that, the most listed to live stuff would be an assortment of live B-sides:

Mordred - Esse Quan Videri has two live tracks on the B-side, including a killer version of Everyday's A Holiday

Cult - Wildflower has my favourite of their songs on the B-side, a live version of Horse Nation (Horse Nation not being my favourite Cult song, but the live version is my favourite track, if that makes sense)

That said, I have recently bought the deluxe reissue of Strangers In The Night, with the full recordings of the six gigs that the album was taken from, so technically the live stuff I have mostly been listening to of late is UFO

Honourable mentions for (and judged purely on the albums I've listened to most often over the last decade):

Motorhead - the two live albums  with Brian Robertson - the King Biscuit Flower Hour and the bonus disc for the deluxe reissue of Another Perfect Day

New Model Army - BBC Radio One & the live half of Between Wine & Blood

Budgie - Live At Reading, either on We Came, We Saw, or spread across assorted BBC and radio session albums

1 hour ago, Oopsdabassist said:

When I were a lad, I could never get to see enough live bands so live albums were pure heaven for me, so:-

Slade - Slade Alive

Yes - Yessongs

Curved Air Live

Genesis - Seconds Out

These 5 pretty much defined my youth, and I still listen to all of then regularly today, I love the energy they put out over relevant studio albums.

Slade Alive! was like a ‘Beatles moment’ for want of a better phrase.

Everything changed after hearing that, and seeing Bowie, Mott the Hoople, Roxy Music, T Rex et al all loud and proud on TOTP in the same year - a game changing time... 

Edited by Old Man Riva
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, SH73 said:

+1, still have the tapes, the second copy. Also used to listen to it on LP and still listen to the CD.

Hell yes! Back in the day, Live After Death became the standard by which all other live albums were measured among the local rock aficionados of West Cornwall.

• Like 1