Why become a member? ×

Loudest gigs you've been to

JJTee

The loudest gig I remember was the Supersuckers at the Underworld 15+ years ago. I was a massive fan at the time but it was so loud it was almost painful and it was impossible to identify what song they were playing. Took about 4 days for the ringing in my ears to stop afterwards.

Was Not Was, when they were supporting Dire Straits.  My dad was chuffed to have got us seats 5 rows from the front, looking into the stage-left bass enclosure, until the Was-sers (Wassocks?) started their tuneless barrage of funk playing.  Awful. 

From that moment on, I took earplugs to gigs.  However, on that day, I needed to use my own fingers.

I think they probably sounded louder back in the day as they used ground stacks instead of the flying array you got everything full in your face if you were in the front stalls or anywhere close to the stage 

Saw Motorhead 3 times, one in particular, Folkestone 1989, left me with tinnitus for days. I was still at school then, which made life a bit of a challenge! Awesome gig, though.....one of my top 3 without a doubt. I was inches from them.

Also Dinosaur Jr. twice, both in Brighton. Sensibly, I took earplugs both times. IIRC, their website suggested you did so! Might still do (this was 2009 and 2013). Either J. Mascis' stacks are empty, or he must seriously have good ear defenders. It was huge!

9 minutes ago, spongebob said:

Also Dinosaur Jr. twice, both in Brighton. Sensibly, I took earplugs both times. IIRC, their website suggested you did so! Might still do (this was 2009 and 2013). Either J. Mascis' stacks are empty, or he must seriously have good ear defenders. It was huge!

Or he’s quite deaf, which would explain the Fender Twin “monitor” at ear level.

Like so many, possibly Motorhead at the Ulster Hall, although I saw Black Rebel Motorcycle Club in the Mandela Hall, Belfast and at the very end it was a wall of sound with smoke and strobes which overloaded the senses. Stiff Little Fingers can be loud too.

• Like 1

I'm not sure if it was very loud, or I was just young, but I have distinct memories of my first ever gig with my dad back in the 90's (Travis Tritt, Brixton Academy I think) being really bloody loud!!

Si

For me it was Slash and his band at the Underworld, Camden Town in 1999 (how the mighty had fallen at that time)
It is a very small enclosed space where serious volume has nowhere to go and his crew cranked it big time!