Why become a member? ×

Stanley Clarke Spellcaster Bass

alembic1989

9 hours ago, Paulhauser said:

“and incorporates features never before found in an electric bass guitar.” Like...what? Am I missing something?

Yup, that was my thought too.
I read the article and there's nothing special about it at all, even the concept of a short scale bass on a Strat style body with a traditional Strat pickup layout has been done before, commercially by Landing Bass Guitars, literally for YEARS.
Reverse headstock? Done.
Tremelo? Done.
25 frets? Nope, done by Sandberg on their 25th anniversary instruments.

The only thing that would've made this interesting is if Fender had actually made it, which I thought was the original plan. That would've been quite a departure for Fender from the usual constant rehashing of the same tired old thing again and again.

image.png.1f7efef934851c8b65f3369049285b7f.png

Eude

Can't see why this is a game changer.

Fender had a 3 pickup short scale bass 'The Rascal' out a few years ago.

The tremolo is unusual on a production 4 string bass but not unique.

Everything I've ever read about trems on standard basses including Neil Murray talking about his own Strat Bass suggests that they can't really replicate what a guitar trem does in terms of pitch bending, it tends to be more a vibrato effect with the strings going quieter when the trem is depressed.

Maybe this one is different.

Edited by Cato

11 hours ago, Paulhauser said:

“and incorporates features never before found in an electric bass guitar.” Like...what? Am I missing something?

Well unless there's some secret sauce in the electronics, I doubt it. I think the PR company was paid on hyperbole.

Most of the pick-ups, switching and wang-bar-ness was nailed by Fender in the '60s.

Would still love to have a go on one though eh?

6 hours ago, eude said:

Yup, that was my thought too.
I read the article and there's nothing special about it at all, even the concept of a short scale bass on a Strat style body with a traditional Strat pickup layout has been done before, commercially by Landing Bass Guitars, literally for YEARS.
Reverse headstock? Done.
Tremelo? Done.
25 frets? Nope, done by Sandberg on their 25th anniversary instruments.

The only thing that would've made this interesting is if Fender had actually made it, which I thought was the original plan. That would've been quite a departure for Fender from the usual constant rehashing of the same tired old thing again and again.

image.png.1f7efef934851c8b65f3369049285b7f.png

Eude

The Thumb has 26 frets. 1985 that came out.