Why become a member? ×

Strings Question.

Bobthedog

Although I have been playing for a while I am incredibly naive when it comes to changing to different gauges of strings. I am looking to put some Chromes  (flats) on my new MTD fretless but note that the D'Addario A, E and  B strings are 80, 100 and 132 compared to the 85, 105 and 130 of the  MTD roundwound strings. Is this likely to be an issue at the nut?

I am too chicken to start filing nuts and have no idea what to do if new strings are materially narrower.

2 hours ago, Bass Culture said:

In the 40+ years I've been playing I've never needed to file a nut to accommodate different strings.  E strings has varied between 90 -105 and G from about 35 -45.  Never had any issues (or maybe I was too stupid to notice them!).

I had a joint conversation with Mark from Bassdirect and Sheridan Dingwall at the last LBGT show re fitting Payson strings to my Dingwall instead of the Dingwall branded strings (which were out to stock everywhere at the time) and Sheridan said he had not heard of Payson strings but thought that nutwork may be needed; Mark then offered to do that for me. It was enough to concern me, although I continue to question how material the difference would have to be to need some nut work. Payson do now do a thinner string set

The Dingwall Nickels were 45/55/80/100/130 and the Paysons (at the time) were 45/65/85/105/130. Payson do now apparently do a thinner string set but I have a stock of Dingwalls now.

• Like 1