Why become a member? ×

NBD - Mystery thru neck

Booga13

So this beastie arrived today and I'm glad I took a gamble, was purchased at a general auction and was listed simply as a 'custom bass guitar' , it looked interesting and of good quality (woods/brass nut etc etc) so thought it worth a punt.

It plays REALLY well and has sustain for days, I'd love to know more about it but I cannot find any indentifying marks, the body shape is ringing a VERY faint bell but I can't nail it down, clearly has hints of Alembic but that headstock is very old Aria Pro II batwing,  I know there's a lot of trading accross these forums, anyone encountered it before? or have any ideas as to it origins?

20210222_173400_resized.jpg

20210222_173407_resized.jpg

20210222_173424_resized.jpg

20210222_173507_resized.jpg

It's a Camac, made by Eko in Italy. It's a blinged-up variation of Eko's BX series. These were 80s (obviously!) & very influenced by the styles of the time

https://www.fetishguitars.com/eko/eko-the-final-years/eko-camac/

Brandoni Guitars in Wembley bought up all of Eko's old stock when they closed, and interestingly still have these advertised as in stock, either as neck/body or fully built bass. This one's probably a Brandoni bass, as it doesn't look 30+ years old.

Should mention that I'd rather like one of these...

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Bassassin said:

It's a Camac, made by Eko in Italy. It's a blinged-up variation of Eko's BX series. These were 80s (obviously!) & very influenced by the styles of the time

Brandoni Guitars in Wembley bought up all of Eko's old stock when they closed, and interestingly still have these advertised as in stock, either as neck/body or fully built bass. This one's probably a Brandoni bass, as it doesn't look 30+ years old.

I have what I believe is a BX7 One P and One J. Stripped back, with a 2 X V and 2 X T mod, which I bought out of curiosity and have found it a surprisingly good bass, I think you would enjoy having one, to add to you family of instruments. :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, christhammer666 said:

looks very westone from that headstock

It might do. But it's not. :)

20 hours ago, Bassassin said:

There's some speculation these might have been Japanese-made but there appears to be no supporting evidence beyond 'stripy = Matsumoku'. Which is, of course, nonsense.

Edited by Bassassin
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Kev said:

Missed out a key bit of info here, £££???? :D 

Excellent question,  140 winning bid, ended up as a total of about 210 with auction fees and shipping, came in a hard case too😁

39 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

Heavy???

I tried one at Brandoni's and it felt heavier than the Warwick 5er I took with me...

Just popped her on the scales, a shade over 4.6kgs, so not too bad

• Like 3