Why become a member? ×

Usng a bow with a Stagg EUB

steve_p

The Stagg I had came with a bow so I gave it a try and since I was new to the upright bass it sounded pretty bad due to my lack of skill and improper use of rosin but eventually it improved. It is better than some EUB's for bowing and if properly set up and played well it can sound OK. I certainly had fun with it and it got me on the upright path and I upgraded to a Yamaha SLB 200 and then to a DB and I love it. 😊

Edited by Staggering on

Get some good rosin.  Nymans is best, but hidersine is ok.  Use lots to begin with.

Make sure you're not bowing too close to the bridge (gets good tone but harder to do). Make sure the bow moves at right angles to the strings. 

Practise starting the note; you have to dig in a bit to get the string to start vibrating, then ease the pressure to keep it going.  My teacher used to make me bow open strings sloooowly making the sound last the full length of a slowly moving bow.Trying to start with lots of quick notes is a killer.

Strings are an issue.  Some strings don't bow well ... though I'm bowing heavy duty spirocores at the moment, that's on a nice carved dB with an £800 bow.  Eva Pirazzi strings are a nice bow and pluck compromise (at a price and maybe ott for an eub?)