Why become a member? ×

So, whose pluctrums do you have?

Ricky 4000

Buddy Guy. I used to have Danko Jones’ but lost that. That is it. 

Van Morrison’s guitarist threw a pic into the crowd at a gig I was at. If I had caught the pic I would probably thrown it back at Van Morrison’s head given how half arsed his performance was. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, verb said:

Not a plectrum, but at a Soundgarden gig Ben Shephard took off his bass during the last song and gave it to a member of the audience. 

If I recall correctly, his amp failed twice in a row. He said sod it put in everything fresh: replace amp, cab, cables, bass; the lot. Walked to the front of the stage, points angrily at bass, points at dude and shove the bass towards his face before turning round to fetch the spare one.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bolo said:

If I recall correctly, his amp failed twice in a row. He said sod it put in everything fresh: replace amp, cab, cables, bass; the lot. Walked to the front of the stage, points angrily at bass, points at dude and shove the bass towards his face before turning round to fetch the spare one.

Cheapskate gives a faulty bass away eh?  😉

• Haha 1

I got Steve Vai's, caught it at the Astoria at the gig filmed for the  DVD in 2001.

It was mid set and he flicked it into the crowd and my hand just went up and came down full of Vai magic. 99 times out of 100 I would have dropped/missed it. So stuck it in a frame.DBE52B85-0CAF-40A1-ACB0-5DE23B03113C.thumb.jpeg.3e6f92f0adb88dc25208f74018de4218.jpeg

• Like 4

Was front row at a Steven Wilson gig a few years ago, right in front of Nick Beggs, which was nice. At the end he lobbed a handful of pluctrums at me (not sure if it was in appreciation or irritation) - I was minded to chuck them back at him, but I never. Think I've got three of them somewhere.

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

IME plectrums and drumsticks given out to the audience during gigs are promotional tools that usually bear little resemblance to the ones actually used by the musicians in question.

Totally, the drumsticks I got weren't from a concert but were given to me as a thank you by the drummer for a job. His signature was printed on them by Vic Firth and I suspect he doesn't even use them when gigging. I gave them to our drummer but he didn't like them. 

5 minutes ago, Maude said:

Totally, the drumsticks I got weren't from a concert but were given to me as a thank you by the drummer for a job. His signature was printed on them by Vic Firth and I suspect he doesn't even use them when gigging. I gave them to our drummer but he didn't like them. 

Mine was caught as it was thrown in the audience and was nicely mashed up from use - I rose like a salmon

Only Francis Dunnery’s (It Bites and solo artist) plectrum from a house gig of his a few years back. It’s not even a personalised one tho - it’s just a Beatles Abbey Road one.

I keep it in one my tins of knick knacks and hope it will bestow songwriting magic upon me whenever I’m struggling with ideas. I’ve yet to test that theory tho.