Why become a member? ×

Daft question?

TheGreek

Probably because unless you have a true bypass bass the existing pots and tone controls already colour the output -  does a Sadowsky pedal make your Fenderesque Jazz bass really sound like a Sadowsky ? just thinking, I've never tried the Sadowsky pedal, but I have the Alien one and whilst it's a useful boost it is a bit too subtle and doesn't do anything to my ear that the zoom B3 couldn't do and the B3 can do so much more

2 hours ago, Aidan63 said:

Probably because unless you have a true bypass bass the existing pots and tone controls already colour the output -  does a Sadowsky pedal make your Fenderesque Jazz bass really sound like a Sadowsky ? just thinking, I've never tried the Sadowsky pedal, but I have the Alien one and whilst it's a useful boost it is a bit too subtle and doesn't do anything to my ear that the zoom B3 couldn't do and the B3 can do so much more

But even an onboard preamp will be coloured by what pickups are in the bass (as well as the wood, if you're in to all that). I always use the Sadowsky preamp with my passive Fenders. Does ot make them sound like a Sadowsky? Probably not, but I think it makes them sound 'better'.

Maybe the reason they don't make outboard preamps is simply because they want to keep them for their instruments- If you want a Status preamp, you have to buy a Status.

John East used to make a pedal preamp- the STMP-01.  Maybe it wasn't a big seller?

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Aidan63 said:

I have multiple basses with Sadowsky preamps (including one Sadowsky!) as well as the pedal and can confirm that, while there are small sonic differences, the Sad pedal really does give your passive bass a Sadowsky vibe. Probably to do with the specific freq boosts, but it just breathes new life into my vintage Fenders!

• Thanks 1