Why become a member? ×

Gigs you left early.

Paul S

4 hours ago, bartelby said:

Was that with The Stereo MCs supporting? They got such a poor reaction from the crowd that Living Colour wouldn't come on until there was a decent round of applause...

May well have been Sweet Water from Seattle.
We had a thread about the Stain tour support act, and apparently, Bad Brains did part of the tour (I dunno where but assume the American leg), and it's my impression that Sweet Water did both the American and the European leg.
I'm aware this is not science (yet). However, Sweet Water did do exactly the polite middle-class punk that I heard in Oslo.

Edit:
Ah, I should've read more of the thread.

@mr4stringz, do you think that on the Stain tour it could've been Sweet Water rather than Naked Truth?

Edited by BassTractor

Went to Covent Garden to see the Royal Ballet with the Mrs and her friend. Friend’s man was dept editor at Autosport and he brought some overnight copies hot off the press. So he and I read them while the ladies drooled over the dancers. Fair enough?

And we were in the stalls, so a bit visible.

The only time I’ve walked out on bands is at festivals where things are quite ‘mobile’ anyway.

4 hours ago, Monkey Steve said:

So, with those criteria in mind, I have three:

1. Smashing Pumpkins at Wembley Arena in 2000.  their farewell tour, I'd never been a particular fan but figured I might as well see them live if it was going to be my last chance, and I wanted to see the support band, Catherine Wheel, who I liked. Missed Catherine Wheel because the mate I went with is an utter c#nt (the sort who is late for everything, and doesn't understand that it's f#cking rude, and that when people call him a c#nt for doing stuff like this, that we all aren't joking), but we got there in time for SP's set to start.  A couple of fairly bland, quietish numbers, and then into ear splittingly loud noise that seemed entirely free of melody and structure.  Convinced me that I was never going to be a fan of them so why waste any more of my time, and I joined the steady stream of people who were also leaving.  I chatted to a couple who were actually fans of the band and told me that they had seen them a few times before and they'd never been that bad.  Lucky me
  2. Iron Maiden at Sonisphere in 2010.  I'd seen them at Twickenham a year or two beforehand, having previously lost interest since seeing them a couple of times in the 1980s, and then grown out of them.  But a girlfriend dragged me to Twickenham and I'd loved it - playing the whole set from one of the tours I'd previously seen them on.  Great - stick to the songs from when they were good.  Sadly at Sonisphere, after playing a couple of oldies, Bruce Dickinson announced that in response to all the people who complain to him that they never play any of their songs from the albums they've released in the last ten years, they were going to concentrate on those.  Cue mass exodus, me included, although I did listen to a couple of the newer songs, to satisfy myself that they were awful.  I don't believe that "the people" Bruce has been listening to actually exist
  3. Tool at Download in 2019. Difficult one here - I've tried to like Tool, I really have.  I own a few of their albums, I don't dislike them, but none of it sticks, I think it's all OK, but I've never really got into it, despite knowing how good it is musically and it's stuff that i should enjoy.  I admire them more than I actually enjoy them.  But I'd never seen them live, and they hadn't played here for ages so this was my chance, at a festival I was going to be at anyway. But after drinking all day, seeing Slayer's blistering set (which happily took place while Smashing Pumpkins were on the main stage), and this being the last band on the third day when I was all festivalled out...it was all a bit sterile and detached.  Great light show, well played, but it could have been a CD.  Watched two songs and headed for the exit

Viz Iron Maiden at Sonisphere 2014 - I mentioned them a page or two back. The most interesting about them was BD's vintage plane flyover earlier in the day

Went on the sunday for Download 2019 to keep the mrs sweet as she likes Godsmack. I dunno much about them but to be fair they weren't half bad. Viz Tool we started off watching their set. Sure the video display was pretty good but I don't enjoy bands who don't try to engage audiences with banter. Bored, we went over to see Slayer but to my ears it all sounded like one song. Again no crowd engagement. Amon Amarth were also dull fare. I though what with their Viking schtick it should've been more entertaining. The one band I shouldn't like - Dream Theater - were by far the best that day!

Mogwai, Norwich Waterfront circa 2003.

They were touring Happy Songs For Happy People.

Support came from the superb Kling Klang who stole the show for my friends and I.

Mogwai were proficient and obviously into it, but my God it was so, so loud.

My ear plugs weren't enough and after spending the first 4 songs moving further away from the stage I decided to leave.

Outside were many others who had done likewise.

On 22/02/2021 at 09:42, mcnach said:

Sea Bass Kid - Edinburgh 2012. Yeah, my band :D Outdoor festival. After getting crap repeatedly from some ignorant cnut who was part of the organisers because according to him we were too loud, despite my pointing to him every time that it was THEIR engineers who actually controlled the volume out there by the mixing desk. We were all getting annoyed at this guy coming on stage to tap us on the shoulder and yell at us. Guy comes again and grabs my shoulder. That was it. He was lucky he didn't eat a slab of ash that evening.

I had something very similar once, some time in the '90's.  My lot were playing thrash metal in some pub...er...somewhere in London, I genuinely can't remember where it was.  We were supporting a band we didn't know and who were a more glammy type of metal, and as we were playing their bass player kept shaking his head and shouting to me from the crowd that the bass was too loud, and that I should turn down.  And I kept pointing out to him that he was stood next to the soundman and that everything was going through the PA so perhaps he should speak to the bloke he was stood next to rather than shouting at me.

I failed to rise above it and didn't play brilliantly, although we did finish the set.  I wondered at the time whether that was his game, to put me off so that I/we looked bad in comparison to him/his lot.  It certainly didn't feel like constructive criticism at the time, and he avoided us as we were packing down

c#nt

Edited by Monkey Steve