Why become a member? ×

Want to feel old?

gapiro

22 minutes ago, gapiro said:

Consider the fact that those who are young kids now look at our music from the 90's /00's and think of it in the same way that we (parents of young kids - ie millenials) looked at music from the 60's when we were young...

Music from the '40s, don't you mean..? :/

• Like 5

Haha, yes I appreciate there are older people here, but I was just a bit mindblown by a comment from one of the kids I coach . About how the music I listened to is old. then I realised it was in fact, 30 years old , which is the difference between when I was a boy and the music my parents would listen to.

• Like 1

I listen to music from all periods, styles and origins, but find that the sh*t they dare call music these days is simply awful, especially the autotuned mainstream productions... There's always been more good than not good (didn't say bad) music, but these days it seems that the tendency is on the 🤮 side.

• Like 1

I, too, listen to music from many ages and continents, and always have; some of it is very good indeed (and some, of course, less so, in my view...). I have few nostalgia genes, it seems. Exposure at a very early age (infant's school...) to classical works such as Saint-Saëns and Mendelson were, possibly, instrumental in forming my appreciation. Not all 'modern' music is Good; quite a lot of Old Music (from any era...) is Rubbish, and vice versa:|

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Agree, I’m a child of the 60s so the 70s & 80s were my musical eras, when I watch Top of The Pops reruns on TV from the 70s that magical era had more than its fair share of rubbish.

You mean you don't like Lieutenant Pigeon?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I find it stranger when people 20/30/40 years younger than me like the same sort of music that I do.

Having said that, IMO "popular music" has changed less in each decade since the 50s then it did before that. The music my parents listened to was completely and utterly incomprehensible to me, as was the music I liked was to them. 

37 minutes ago, BlueMoon said:

You mean you don't like Lieutenant Pigeon?

Don’t remind me!

On the way to a gig a couple of years ago we were listening to the radio and it was the charts from that week in 1974. All getting on a bit, we thought “great!”. It was utter tosh from start to finish. I think the highlight was The Glitter Band. 

• Like 1

Interesting to see that 60’s and 70’s stuff is still so widely used in advertising (and also movie soundtracks). Of course some of this is to appeal to target demographic groups from the same era, but still a lot aimed at younger folk too. Wonder how much music from recent years will be used for the same purpose in 50 odd years time?

20 minutes ago, 4000 said:

Tbh, I’ve found music I like in every era, including today, even though the bulk of my favourite music is from the ‘70s. I’m very, very wary of the whole “it was better in my day” mentality. At that point you’ve become your parents. 😉

They don't make em like to used to: