Why become a member? ×

Bass For Sale question

dmccombe7

Looking through the Basses For Sale section, i found an awful lot of the really nice basses are for sale outside the UK.

I've never bought from outside the UK but after Brexit i assumed it would be far more difficult and costly so now i don't really pay much attention to those basses once i see where its located. I could be wrong in thinking that  but not sure at all.

Would it make sense to have a seperate section for outside UK sales or have the location on the title. It seems to have reached a point that since we left the EU i'm seeing far more (nice) basses from EU.

Anyone else have thoughts on this ?

Has this been raised before ? If so just delete the thread. I'm good with that.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 1

I must admit it would be nice, beforehand people were asking for various options like 4 / 5 stirng, which I can understand, but now outside of the UK is no longer what it was.

Or at least put a banner over the top pointing out that non UK basses now cost 20% more than the listed price.

The VAT and import duty situation shouldn't be a problem, so long as all UK forum members is aware that buying from EVERYWHERE outside of the UK is now the same. Add 25% onto the cost of the instrument plus the shipping price and you should be covered.

I've bought musical instruments from all over the world and VAT and import duty alone have never put me off. I factor it in when deciding if what I want is good value or not and then make my decision. I just have to add this equation to anything from the EU as well now.

The problem is now that if you can find a suitable service that is currently shipping between the UK and EU the prices have been significantly increased, and add to the fact that your bass may spend up to a month traversing EU and UK customs. Those are the things that are going to put me off.

• Like 5

You also might miss out on a worth while deal for the bass you're looking for if the forum is split by UK/Non-UK.

I've seen basses in the UK being offered at say £1000 and the same bass being offered by someone in the EU at say £700, so you're still potentially able to get a better deal even with tax included. Also depends of how 'ready' the seller is to sell, someone in the UK might be hard on price, someone in the EU might be flexible. 

Edited by binky_bass

Then maybe a location added to the title. It would then automatically remind you to add the additional costs.

Until the brexxit trade issues settle down i'm not sure i'd buy from EU at moment. 

If the bass is 2nd hand we wouldn't pay VAT in UK so do we still pay VAT if its 2nd hand from EU ?

Dave

2 minutes ago, nilebodgers said:

Why don’t people just say where they are based as a matter of course?

Think a location like mine should be compulsary for everyone. Would make life easier all round.

From memory was that not so with the old system. ?

Dave

3 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Then maybe a location added to the title. It would then automatically remind you to add the additional costs.

Until the brexxit trade issues settle down i'm not sure i'd buy from EU at moment. 

If the bass is 2nd hand we wouldn't pay VAT in UK so do we still pay VAT if its 2nd hand from EU ?

Dave

Yes, s/h kit from the eu is subject to uk vat+duty+costs now.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, pete.young said:

There is a location field in the title of For Sale threads already.

You don't see the location until you open the post tho. Most posts i've opened have used the location to be fair.

I was thinking more upfront as i might not bother looking at EU items if i know i wont be buying them because of the added hidden costs.

Dave

• Like 1

I’ve always though it’s not only logical, but common sense to put your location in your profile. Locations like ‘In my living room’ or ‘outer space’ etc sound stupid and are of no help to anyone. Really not clever at all  

It should be mandatory to put a proper geographical area in when you join up, even if you embellish it. 
IMO of course. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Looking through the Basses For Sale section, i found an awful lot of the really nice basses are for sale outside the UK.

I've never bought from outside the UK but after Brexit i assumed it would be far more difficult and costly so now i don't really pay much attention to those basses once i see where its located. I could be wrong in thinking that  but not sure at all.

Would it make sense to have a seperate section for outside UK sales or have the location on the title. It seems to have reached a point that since we left the EU i'm seeing far more (nice) basses from EU.

Anyone else have thoughts on this ?

Has this been raised before ? If so just delete the thread. I'm good with that.

Dave

Crikey, I was thinking the exact same thing and was going to post something to the same effect. today. I obviously agree. I hope it happens.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

I’ve always though it’s not only logical, but common sense to put your location in your profile. Locations like ‘In my living room’ or ‘outer space’ etc sound stupid and are of no help to anyone. Really not clever at all  

It should be mandatory to put a proper geographical area in when you join up, even if you embellish it. 
IMO of course. 

Your location is only important if you are buying and selling on Basschat, where AFAICS adding a location to a sale post is mandatory.

For those of us who don't buy and sell on here location is of no consequence.

• Like 1

Just now, BigRedX said:

Your location is only important if you are buying and selling on Basschat, where AFAICS adding a location to a sale post is mandatory.

For those of us who don't buy and sell on here location is of no consequence.

Dot agree. For you maybe. It can be helpful knowing where someone is based when chatting to them. 

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

I would have no problem buying from the rest of the world, but currently wouldn't buy from the EU until everything had started flowing / not flowing again. 

I assume/hope at some point in the future it will once again not be easier/faster to get something from china thank from 30 miles across the channel, regardless of costs.

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

Yes, you now pay VAT on second hand items, which means that vat is double charged on an item for whatever reason - that snuck in undercover of the same time as brexit, it isn't part of the brexit 'deal', it just turned up.

2 hours ago, leroydiamond said:

it will not be an option for me and I suspect many others.

Yes, it would need to be a very special s/h item for me to buy from the UK now. Such a shame.

However, in reverse of what the OP posted, I find myself screening-in the EU items and screening-out the UK-based stuff. The BC marketplace still works well irrespective of the change in the status of the UK.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

Yes, you now pay VAT on second hand items, which means that vat is double charged on an item for whatever reason - that snuck in undercover of the same time as brexit, it isn't part of the brexit 'deal', it just turned up.

You've always had to pay VAT on imported second hand items from the rest of the world. All that has changed is that items from the EU are now included. So it's VAT on everything from everywhere.

• Like 1