Why become a member? ×

Which one? Squire vibe,SX,Vintage jazz

jassbass

Hi im on a limited budget and missing a Jazz 4 or 5 string  

Ive owned a Vintage vj74 and was a great value Jazz 

Ive had a squire vintage modified jazz years ago and hated it.The new vibe seem better?

Never played a SX but seem good value

Also the revelation basses look decent 

Any thoughts appreciated 

Thanks 

4 minutes ago, hooky_lowdown said:

Was that the vm77 jazz, the natural coloured one? As these are very highly regarded. Owned one myself and was excellent.

Yeah i didn't like it,just my preference 

I thought the vintage vj74 was better sounding and better hardware, but chunkier neck and heavier which some wont like,but that doesn't bother me 

I`d agree with the other posts, on a budget difficult to beat Vintage basses, they punch far above their weight in quality, playability and sound. My old Vintage Tony Butler Precision I`d put above a Mex Fender in terms of all three, at a fraction of the price.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

I`d agree with the other posts, on a budget difficult to beat Vintage basses, they punch far above their weight in quality, playability and sound. My old Vintage Tony Butler Precision I`d put above a Mex Fender in terms of all three, at a fraction of the price.

Im very tempted with the v4 tony butler as i like the black n maple but it was a jazz i wanted

If you're going down the new route, I read somewhere, possibly on here, that the latest runs of Squier 70's CV's are just leftover VMs. Not sure how true that is, but I took a punt and bought a CV 70's Jazz in January 2020 and I parted company with it in June as it was just collecting dust, and not in the same league as my Squier CV 70's Precision from 2014.

BTW Aren't SX basses rebranded Jim Deacon's?

Edited by pst62

I had a Vintage Jazz bass which I bought from @mcnachand it was bloody great.

So good, in fact, that he really missed it and I sold it back to him. Which was stupid of me because I now find myself lusting over nice jazz basses... 

So on that basis I'd probably vote for the Vintage but I suspect the Squier models may be more consistent. That said, a G&L tribute as mentioned above could be an excellent shout. I'm tempted myself! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BillyBass said:

This is a SX jazz bass in action:

Not really, only the neck and body is stock, has DiMarzio ultra jazz pups, hipshot tuners, upgraded electrics, and bridge. Old Chrome's too.

Don't expect a stock SX to sound anything like this one!

There's a rig rundown vid on YouTube with the band, check it out.

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/02/2021 at 10:43, jassbass said:

Hi im on a limited budget and missing a Jazz 4 or 5 string  

Ive owned a Vintage vj74 and was a great value Jazz 

Ive had a squire vintage modified jazz years ago and hated it.The new vibe seem better?

Never played a SX but seem good value

Also the revelation basses look decent 

Any thoughts appreciated 

Thanks 

I'm toying with the idea of trading down to a cheaper Jazz and upgrading if I feel like it  - did you make a decision or still pondering?

12 minutes ago, howdenspur said:

I'm toying with the idea of trading down to a cheaper Jazz and upgrading if I feel like it  - did you make a decision or still pondering?

Hi ive ran out of funds completely for now lol

I didn't makey mind up either but think the vintage was winning