Why become a member? ×

EQ pedal on a buget

SteveXFR

I want to get an EQ pedal but want to keep it under £100 new or used. 

The Boss GEB7 seems to be the most common but I've read that they're quite noisy. Often people complain pedals are noisy because of power supply so is the GEB7 actually noisy? Is there something better I should look for? Do guitar EQs work for bass or are the frequencies wrong? 

I've got the old, brown Boss GE-7B, and I wouldn't say it was noisy. It's a good pedal.

For a different option, I think that the preamp section in the Fender Downtown Express is really nice. It's designed by Alex Aguilar, so you'd expect it to be decent. You should be able to pick one up used for around £100.

Pretty much the only kind of EQ pedal I wouldn't even consider is the Boss GEB-7 (or clones thereof - yes, I'm looking at you, Behringer BEQ700).
The selection of centre frequencies used is absolutely bizarre: 400, 500, 800, then nothing until 4.5k...? Just no.

The standard guitar version (GE-7) is much more useable, even as a bass equaliser, though it's true that an additional low band would be kinda helpful.

6 hours ago, Al Krow said:

A budget multi fx eg Zoom B1-4 would get you there with a bunch of EQ options including 7 band EQ, HPF and LPF and provide a whole lot else besides. 

That's an interesting suggestion. I haven't got enough space on my pedal board otherwise I would consider it. 

2 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

That's an interesting suggestion. I haven't got enough space on my pedal board otherwise I would consider it. 

There's an MS-60B in the FS as a more compact / older version of the B1-4 and which there are still some big fans of (calling @stewblack). 

Now that you can / create and edit your patches on it with free ToneLib software on your PC, that gets around what I felt was the MS-60B's biggest drawback when I had one, which was its painful to use "on pedal" interface. The ToneLib software is excellent. 

Edited by Al Krow

On 21/02/2021 at 09:00, stewblack said:

I'm good thanks Al! Got my Zoom board finished. 

Pic please! 

@SteveXFR - agreed the B1-4 will take up the space of two Boss sized pedals. This comes with the territory of having two decent paddles to scroll through your patches with, global volume and 3 band-EQ knobs (in addition to the patch specific EQ settings you can create) and a very decent screen. I love having the B1-4 as a very cost effective 'heart' of my little pedal board:

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

The B1 4 is really impressive, especially for the price. I just checked out some videos and the sound is great. It would be a bit limiting though. It would replace my compressor but then it has to go in front of my fuzz and overdrive pedals which means I won't have the option of EQ after those it could also replace my chorus after the fuzz and keep my compressor separate but removing my chorus doesn't free up much space. Im not sure it would work for me. I know it has fuzz and overdrive effects but I really like the ones I have. 

I have also found the Joyo R12 EQ has really good reviews. I might give that a try. 

Bear in mind your drive / fuzz pedals already have a fair bit of compression in them.

The B1-4 does a very decent drive, fuzz and chorus. And it has a selection of compressors too. It's not going to be as good as some dedicated pedals (eg filter and synth) but you would expect that to be the case given the price differential, so you simply add key dedicated pedals you want and space permits.

You can have upto 5 effects in any B1-4 patch and in any order (series only, it doesn't do parallel). And switch them off or on individually, so each of your 50 patches can each be a mini pedal board!

So I'm not sure you will find it limiting at all 😊

7 hours ago, supertzar said:

I use a chinese ammoon/eno/whatever eq7. Under 30€ from ebay and mini-sized. The frequencies are perfect for bass in my opinion (63, 125, 250, 500, 1k, 2.2k and 5k). And it's not noisy unless you crank the treble channels.

Those frequencies are ideal for bass.

14 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

That looks ideal. I think it's between this and the Orange Two Stroke which has slightly less eq range but has more boost. 

Yeah I've been recommended the sine effects pedals but not tried them. I've got my eye on the mega para but their prices suddenly jumped up. 

I had a GEB-7 and it was a bit noisy, but that might have been down to my cheap power supply.