Why become a member? ×

NDBMD

Happy Jack

Yup, that's right ... New Double Bass Mic Day.

It's the Nadine from Ear Trumpet Labs, an outfit I've had my eye on for a couple of years.

1978287672_Nadine(4).thumb.jpg.087b204a6c029b19958d507f55425610.jpg

372233961_Nadine(3).thumb.jpg.2297ae4a4e893909b8a201a97b14feae.jpg

1737839957_Nadine(1).thumb.jpg.f6ce31f0bf5fdbf3d298965fb6ded78d.jpg

790261057_Nadine(2).thumb.jpg.c532e8635eb67e0387bf8a2efeaab0fa.jpg

Very practical design, easily mounted without fixings and just as easily packed away again (or switched to a different DB), no special power supply needed - just 48V phantom.

And it's cool, very cool, steam-punk cool.

For me the biggest single advantage is being able to record rockabilly without having to keep the DB perfectly still and at a constant distance from an external mic. I can play and swing the bass around just as much as I would normally, and the mic remains perfectly positioned.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I take the Nadine mic signal direct to a Hi-Z input on the board (we use a Behringer XR18) which also supplies the phantom power, and that keeps the signal almost 100% organic ... literally the sound of my DB with no added 'artefacts' from the process.

Meanwhile the PZ goes off to my Acoustic Image Clarus II - my main stage amp for DB - and then I take a DI signal from the Clarus to the board. So I retain the on-stage sound that I'm used to at the volume level I want, while @Silvia Bluejay can mix both signals in FoH and relatively safe from feedback.

Obviously all this is as yet untried at a live gig, and I don't mind admitting that I am seriously tempted by the new Radial PZ-Pro. With my rockabilly band I double the DB with a Precision, hence my choice of the Clarus II, but the PZ-Pro is not only 2-channel (each with full EQ etc.) but one channel has an additional XLR input to allow you to mix PZ and mic inputs from a single bass while on stage.

I don't really need this facility at gigs where Silvie is running the sound for us - though it's a very cool thing to be able to do - but if 2021 sees a load of outdoor mini-festival gigs then the temptation may become irresistible ...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TheRev said:

Lovely looking mic - I occasionally wander into the Talkbass Nadine thread and then have to remind myself that I don't to buy a mic that costs more than my bass.

They do look like very nice mics, and there are some players using them who are notable for how well they get their sound across live.

I can't afford one either, but the general principle of using a cardioid mic pointed towards the top in about that area could certainly be explored with more affordable mics. I've had good results on demo recordings with a Red5 Audio side-address condenser tucked under the bridge or tailpiece with foam, and a few people are using Sennheiser side-address dynamic mics that way live too.