Why become a member? ×

Workshop build..Scavenger style

Dom in Dorset

4 minutes ago, Geek99 said:

Surely “just a pipe of Pringles” would suffice? Good enough for Alan partridge ...

We are watching that series at the moment. As I wasn't sacking anyone I thought I'd splash out.

The work bench is for child labourers, (once they are too big to go up a chimney )

• Haha 2

That's an interesting build process Dom, I've always built from the floor upwards, with wall framework coming up from the floor itself :scratch_one-s_head:

Never seen it done with the floor installed last, but it's worked for you :hi:

What have you used for insulation? Looks like laminate flooring underlay? 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BassTool said:

That's an interesting build process Dom, I've always built from the floor upwards, with wall framework coming up from the floor itself :scratch_one-s_head:

Never seen it done with the floor installed last, but it's worked for you :hi:

What have you used for insulation? Looks like laminate flooring underlay? 

Partly inspired by some houses I saw build a few years ago. They were built on precast concrete "rafts". My walls sit on the edge of a wooden raft with the floor inside so any water running down the walls is already bellow the floor by the time it reaches the bottom of the wall.
this is the insulation:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/ybs-airtec-double-reflective-foil-insulation-25-x-1-5m/50913?tc=HA3&ds_kid=92700058021678550&ds_rl=1249407&ds_rl=1241687&ds_rl=1245250&ds_rl=1245250&gclid=CjwKCAjw7diEBhB-EiwAskVi17gya7l5DsRsy2QE1yOavmmU3EUoJ4zih9YBIaMmYgmxSmbyoM4TyRoC6ocQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

What is the most satisfying thing about making instruments?

- Digging, it's all about the digging.IMG_20210522_113927_677.thumb.jpg.d06ace70da8aaecc0cfd8a6c8199f610.jpgIMG_20210522_144809_440.thumb.jpg.d0aae5ae46d9ef705c7ee379db0f5b8f.jpg

Electrician number two has put in a quote and can start next month. Before then I have to dig a trench for the cable not less than 60cm deep. As we are also putting power into the summer house I have another 30' stretch to do as well. I'm on s budget so it's just me with s pick and shovel. I'm done for the day , lying down in a dark studio for a while.

Edited by Dom in Dorset
I kant spell.
  • Like 2

On 22/05/2021 at 15:13, Dom in Dorset said:

What is the most satisfying thing about making instruments?

- Digging, it's all about the digging.IMG_20210522_113927_677.thumb.jpg.d06ace70da8aaecc0cfd8a6c8199f610.jpgIMG_20210522_144809_440.thumb.jpg.d0aae5ae46d9ef705c7ee379db0f5b8f.jpg

Electrician number two has put in a quote and can start next month. Before then I have to dig a trench for the cable not less than 60cm deep. As we are also putting power into the summer house I have another 30' stretch to do as well. I'm on s budget so it's just me with s pick and shovel. I'm done for the day , lying down in a dark studio for a while.

Armoured cable Dom?

13 hours ago, BassTool said:

Armoured cable Dom?

Yes ...42 Metres . 
Another 9 barrow loads of earth removed from "The Slot" as I've come to call it. I have to stand with one leg in the hole to dig, for some reason it makes my buttocks ache like crazy. I'll should finish the digging this afternoon or tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, Dom in Dorset said:

Total chaos 😁

I was going to say, you've got the opportunity to move and reorganise and look at the state of it already :facepalm:

Serious question for a moment, why didn't you go mad fitting shelves and storage whilst it was empty?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Si600 said:

I was going to say, you've got the opportunity to move and reorganise and look at the state of it already :facepalm:

Serious question for a moment, why didn't you go mad fitting shelves and storage whilst it was empty?

Nothing to put on them 😁

IMG_20210703_163201_078.thumb.jpg.2cf0b9f249d83e85600d3d464115e3e9.jpg

In an ideal world I would have done so, time is against me, the priority is to make instruments asap. I'm doing a trade stand at a festival next month and I need stock.

The work bench by the window has storage shelves built in so I don't need much right now. I still have to move the bandsaw and some of the plastic shelves from my mother's shed and I'm planning some sort of rack for work in progress.

• Like 2