Why become a member? ×

Going to see the support band...

odysseus

2 hours ago, rushbo said:

I went to a Motley Crue gig in Brum specifically to see the support act- Cheap Trick. I enjoyed Crue more than I thought I would. 

I did exactly the same in Newcastle - 1986ish? I left when Tommy Lee's kit tilted up. 

A couple of years ago we repeated the experience by going to see Cheap Trick support Def Leppard. This time however we left straight after Cheap Trick finished. It caused major confusion with the door staff who had no facility for anyone leaving before the main event. We had to go out through the in door & the wrong way down the queue waiting to go through the scanner.

Got tickets to see them again but it's been put back to 2022 now - their own gig this time!

12 hours ago, bagsieblue said:

Snap!!!

First concert Pantera at Manchester Apollo.  Downset support. I was 16, 1994 I'm fairly sure.   Both fantastic.  This was in the days of getting a coach to and from Manchester Concerts from our local town.  On the coach was an older brother of a lad I went through school with, he gave me and my pal a couple of beers, had a good chat about him not realising I was into 'this' sort of music.  I remember we were seated in the Apollo and he was standing at the front, about 2 rows of standing at the front, the rest all seated!.  So jealous.  My neck was sore for days after!!

Few months later, Megadeth and CoC, again both great. Youthanasia tour, I took my girlfriend's sister (!!), We got the meet and greet with the band after for donating some tins of food.  As memory serves, I had to run into town again to buy the Ltd Ed 2 CD (with Hidden Gems) for the meet and greet token.

Good Times.....

I was at that same Pantera gig, but was further back - think I remember seeing a lad walking out with a cricked neck!

I had always wanted to see Spirit, so when I saw they were supporting Wishbone Ash I bought a ticket.  They didn't disappoint 🙂  We stayed for the WA set and enjoyed it, but iit was Spirit who were the attraction.

I suppose another thread could be bands you started following after seeing them support. 

Edited by inthedoghouse

12 hours ago, owen said:

I wish I had. I was playing Brecon Jazz and an early Amy Winehouse was further down the running order. I could not be be bothered to move from the green room. Shows you how much I know. 

I had the, um, joy of seeing a late-era Amy Winehouse at the V Festival in 2009 I think it was. I thought she was dreadful.

Also the same festival where I managed to spend the whole of Alanis Morisette’s set queuing for a poo. Good times eh. 

13 minutes ago, bassbiscuits said:

I had the, um, joy of seeing a late-era Amy Winehouse at the V Festival in 2009 I think it was. I thought she was dreadful.

Also the same festival where I managed to spend the whole of Alanis Morisette’s set queuing for a poo. Good times eh. 

Ironic......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, bassbiscuits said:

I saw AW at the fender strat anniversary concert in about 2004, and she was an interesting new artist.

I then played Bestival in 2008 and she was booed off the stage as she was in no fit state at all, and was a mess.

Crazy how different the two performances were in just 4 years.

7 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

I saw AW at the fender strat anniversary concert in about 2004, and she was an interesting new artist.

I then played Bestival in 2008 and she was booed off the stage as she was in no fit state at all, and was a mess.

Crazy how different the two performances were in just 4 years.

Very sad - incredible talent 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

Very sad - incredible talent 

She really wasn’t for me at all, I never understood the hype, much like Florence Welch - their voices are like nails down a chalkboard to me...

Mrs T loves Winehouse though, and she howls along in the bath - quite a good voice my wife, but I just couldn’t get into it.

Still, she was a talent - but behaved in a way which led to her being hounded and eventually she became what people expected to see. Was a real shame. Think she was either the same age as me or a little younger. What a waste.

2 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

She really wasn’t for me at all, I never understood the hype, much like Florence Welch - their voices are like nails down a chalkboard to me...

Mrs T loves Winehouse though, and she howls along in the bath - quite a good voice my wife, but I just couldn’t get into it.

Still, she was a talent - but behaved in a way which led to her being hounded and eventually she became what people expected to see. Was a real shame. Think she was either the same age as me or a little younger. What a waste.

Massive waste - toxic people around her causing a demise

• Like 1

Bought a Ticket for The Stranglers (without Hugh) specifically  to see the support band The Rezillos who were Absolutely Killadilla!

The Stranglers were good but ....”.I can’t get used to losing Hugh no matter what I try to do!...Gonna spend my whole life through.....”

.....I’ll get me coat!

I bought a ticket to Mayhem, Anaal Nathrakh and Dragged Into Sunlight about ten years ago, just for AN and DIS. When the supports both cancelled due to snow, I didn't bother going.

End of 2019 I want to see Torche, who I liked, but probably wouldn't have gone to but they had Slow Crush supporting. Both bands were brilliant and I can't wait to see them both again.